Author Topic: Most common masks, due to fit, filter only about 10 per cent of exhaled aerosol droplets  (Read 327 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
https://uwaterloo.ca/news/media/study-supports-widespread-use-better-masks-curb-covid-19

A new study is highlighting a need for widespread use of better face masks and the importance of good ventilation to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 indoors.

Engineering researchers at the University of Waterloo performed experiments using a mannequin to simulate a seated person breathing in a large room. The studies showed a significant buildup over time of aerosol droplets – exhaled droplets so tiny they remain suspended and travel through the air – despite the use of common cloth and blue surgical masks.

“There is no question it is beneficial to wear any face covering, both for protection in close proximity and at a distance in a room,” said Serhiy Yarusevych, a professor of mechanical and mechatronics engineering and the leader of the study. “However, there is a very serious difference in the effectiveness of different masks when it comes to controlling aerosols.”

(excerpt)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline DB

'“There is no question it is beneficial to wear any face covering, both for protection in close proximity and at a distance in a room,” said Serhiy Yarusevych, a professor of mechanical and mechatronics engineering'

Right... A "study" that proved none of the above. This professor burned their own credibility with that stupid statement.

There are decades of studies prior to Covid-19 on the actual spread of respiratory viruses and using masks. Over and over they show no statistical protection from getting a virus that is in the air. Your eyes are also open to the air and have ducts strait in to your nasal cavity. Paper and cloth masks have no chance of filtering out a 120 nanometer virus. An N95 filter that is fully fitted can be somewhat affective at filtering the air you breath but it takes very few virus molecules to get you infected and the mask is not 100% affective at filtering things that size - and then there's still the eyes that are fully exposed.

The stupid continues...

Offline libertybele

In my area, if you enter a hospital with a cloth face mask, they ask you to take it off and offer you a 3-ply paper mask. I buy masks from my local supermarket; the brand I buy is Collectex.  I have a relatively small face and they fit me snuggly over the nose, securely around the face and down around the chin. Masks are still required around here in medical offices.

For what it's worth:

7 best KN95 face masks and where to buy them online

https://www.nbcnews.com/shopping/wellness/best-kn95-face-masks-n1259013
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 12:44:20 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Hoodat

A new study is highlighting a need for widespread use of better face masks and the importance of good ventilation to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 indoors.

A new study is highlighting the fact that we have been lied to for over a year and a half, and are still being lied to now.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

A new study is highlighting the fact that we have been lied to for over a year and a half, and are still being lied to now.

:yowsa:

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I'll also note that anyone with facial hair, especially with a beard, will have no use for any mask because it cannot create a seal.

Offline libertybele

I'll also note that anyone with facial hair, especially with a beard, will have no use for any mask because it cannot create a seal.

....and will they be laundered every single time???  I doubt it!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 01:07:23 am by libertybele »

Online Kamaji

“There is no question it is beneficial to wear any face covering, both for protection in close proximity and at a distance in a room,” said Serhiy Yarusevych

And his basis - other than his own personal political preferences - is ...?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
And his basis - other than his own personal political preferences - is ...?
His desire to get the paper published and the necessary propaganda statement that must be attached to do so. Because "trust the science."

Online Kamaji

His desire to get the paper published and the necessary propaganda statement that must be attached to do so. Because "trust the science."

You're correct!!!  I stand corrected!!!

Offline corbe

....and will they be laundered every single time???  I doubt it!

That last one looks like a 70's women's underwear commercial.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline mountaineer

IM
@ianmSC
Cases in Japan are now up 42,096% since a Forbes article on 6/22/20 said the high rate of mask wearing there was responsible for preventing COVID spread.  It’s a remarkable feat of media gaslighting that politicians and experts are still getting away with pretending masks matter.

1:10 PM · Aug 24, 2021
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

Speaking of mask hysteria:
Michael Foster
@thisisfoster
This is a thread about how an @americanair  flight attendant kicked a married couple off just because she could… and I saw the whole thing go down. Here is exactly what happened (I’m still on the flight)…

I was down in MIA for a tradeshow and decided to come home to Cinci a day early to surprise my wife (hope she’s not reading this). The last minute changed allowed me to get into a sparsely seated business class (basically their 1st class) on the cheap.

Business class has a large single seat on the left and a pair of seats on the right in each row. I was in a single seat catty-cornered from a younger couple one row in front of me. And the flight attendant had it out for them.

As the couple entered the plane their masks had slipped just below the tip of their noses. Same happened to me. We all had our hands full. It was accidental. The flight attendant brashly barked to “cover your nose.”

Everyone complied. Everyone just wanted to get home. But the man’s wife’s mask slightly drifted below her nose again as she put her bag in the overhead. She adjusted it as soon as she got her hands free.

But the flight attendant said “that’s twice.” And demanded the wife wear some cheap paper mask. She justly declined.

The flight attendant did not take kindly to this. Keep in mind, the wife was very polite and pointed out that she would tighten the mask just to make sure this wouldn’t happen again. The flight attendant told her to wear it or get removed.  We had been on the plane 2-3 mins.

The wife went to use the restroom as the husband returned from the restroom and the flight attendant started in on him.  She said that he had to get his wife to switch masks or else. And then she tells him he’ll have to switch out his mask too.  20 people had the same mask on.

He politely declines and says they wear these masks all the time and they are happy to compile with keeping their nose and mouth covered and it was just an accident.

The flight attendant is obstinate. She say “no this mask or I’ll call someone to remove you from the flight.”

He refuses. The wife comes back. She still refuses. The husband says he isn’t switching masks and won’t leave his seat.

The flight attendant gets more aggressive and threatens them again.

I get her attention & ask her to bring it down notch. No need to make this into a thing.

She says “they must comply” and goes to the cockpit and then makes a call.

I tell the guy to give me his email so I back him.  He and his wife were model citizens thru the whole thing. But that wasn’t good enough for the flight attendant…

2-3 or three AA employees come to talk to the couple. The couple calmly retells the story just as happens. I could tell that they believed the couple but had their hands tied. One AA employee said “If she wants you off, you can’t stay.” And asks to talk about it outside.

The husband refuses.  “We’re not leaving this plane. We’ve complied with all the requirements.”

The guy says “we’ll just deboard the plane and then reboard it.”  The husband says, “That’s your choice, not mine.”

Seemed like a shaming tactic.

So we get deboarded. A few mins later, the couple leaves the plane talks to a high up manager.

A bunch of the other passengers were talking about how selfish they were. I explained what really had happened and they were immediately sympathetic and a little shocked.

I walk over and talk to the manager who was talking to the couple and explain that the problem was a belligerent flight attendant bullying compliant passengers.  Another guy who was in the seat in front of me says yeah he’s right. they asked if we would give a report and we did.

I could tell that the husband felt bad for putting out the other passengers, so I told him that he was right to do what he did and that the woman was totally out of line. I emailed him a summary of what I saw and my contact information.

We are reboarded and I have just landed at CVG.

On my way out I told the flight attendant that what she did was wrong and she should feel deep shame. She said “really?”

One of the other passengers, said yeah really.

If we don’t resist this sort of abuse, we will be ruled by shallow people looking to leverage the little authority they have to feel big or important.
This is why I may never fly again - and don't care.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Hoodat

Speaking of mask hysteria:This is why I may never fly again - and don't care.

I continued to fly during the height of the pandemic hysteria.  (Note I said "hysteria".  The pandemic itself has never had any height to it, only the hysteria).  Southwest is my preferred airline.  During this period, Southwest made a point of only selling 2/3 of capacity in order to keep middle seats open and passengers spaced apart.  At that time, all the big airlines were clamoring for federal bailouts because of Covid, American Airlines being one of the loudest.

On one of my trips, I had to travel to South Dakota to an airport that Southwest did not service.  So I had to settle for American Airlines.  When I boarded, I was shocked to find a plane completely full.  On every leg of the trip, American had sold every single seat.  Contrast that with Southwest and their empty middle seat policy.  How in the heck could American Airlines justify asking for a bailout when their flights were completely booked?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline corbe

@Hoodat     

This is your local CoC on steroids' Every pig is feeding on this Legislature and ultimately The Taxpayer.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.