Author Topic: Millions of electric cars are coming. What happens to all the dead batteries?  (Read 901 times)

Offline thackney

Millions of electric cars are coming. What happens to all the dead batteries?
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/05/millions-electric-cars-are-coming-what-happens-all-dead-batteries

...Governments are inching toward requiring some level of recycling. In 2018, China imposed new rules aimed at promoting the reuse of EV battery components. The European Union is expected to finalize its first requirements this year. In the United States, the federal government has yet to advance recycling mandates, but several states, including California—the nation’s largest car market—are exploring setting their own rules....

...Better recycling methods would not only prevent pollution, researchers note, but also help governments boost their economic and national security by increasing supplies of key battery metals that are controlled by one or a few nations. “On the one side, [disposing of EV batteries] is a waste management problem. And on the other side, it’s an opportunity for producing a sustainable secondary stream of critical materials,” says Gavin Harper, a University of Birmingham researcher who studies EV policy issues.

To jump-start recycling, governments and industry are putting money into an array of research initiatives. The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) has pumped some $15 million into a ReCell Center to coordinate studies by scientists in academia, industry, and at government laboratories. The United Kingdom has backed the ReLiB project, a multi-institution effort. As the EV industry ramps up, the need for progress is becoming urgent, says Linda Gaines, who works on battery recycling at DOE’s Argonne National Laboratory. “The sooner we can get everything moving,” she says, “the better.”...

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I never knew Teslas were powered by the same batteries I use in my flashlights, the 18650. I think now they've changed to slightly larger 2170 cells.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
First there have to be "millions" of electric cars produced -- which remains uncertain.

Then, there has to be millions of NEW batteries to go into them -- again, uncertain.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
First there have to be "millions" of electric cars produced -- which remains uncertain.

Then, there has to be millions of NEW batteries to go into them -- again, uncertain.

It depends on what you consider a battery. For example the Tesla S has 2,976 type 2170 batteries arranged in 96 groups of 31. Is that 2976 batteries or 96 batteries or one?

Online DB

It depends on what you consider a battery. For example the Tesla S has 2,976 type 2170 batteries arranged in 96 groups of 31. Is that 2976 batteries or 96 batteries or one?

I'll go with a lot batteries in a battery pack.

Offline rustynail

Could that big pile of batteries in the picture

be set on fire like a tire fire?

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I'll go with a lot batteries in a battery pack.

Makes sense to me. That's a whole lot of batteries spot welded into battery packs.

1x Tesla Model S 85 battery module block , 24V, 250Ah,5.2kWh 3200mAh cell

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

If you did you sure wouldn't be in the same county with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPHhB0uIxR0

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Is this just more reporting? Seems VW has a pilot plant running that can recover 95% of materials.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/green-cars/a35803612/battery-recycling/

So it would seem the solution can be up and running before the problem.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
They are recycled into food for the hungry?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline thackney

If they are depleted batteries, without remaining charge, the fire hazard is greatly reduced, if not zero.  No chemical energy left.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer