Author Topic: Cornyn enrages truckers by pitching 25 cent per mile tax on big rigs to finance highway work  (Read 2170 times)

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
Except that is not how it works. Taxes do not consider what the market will bear. And often the market will bear no more - Leaving the tax on the truckers... Just like a 15 dollar minimum wage did to restaurateurs and waitresses...

Or course not.

Taxes are the entropy of an economy.

Taxation ALWAYS reduces economic growth, whether it be a tax called "minimum wage increase" or a capital gains tax hike or a shipping tax hike, there are always those businesses running on the narrow margins that can't cover the effect and go under.

I didn't realize that had to be explained.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline GrouchoTex

If you bought it, a truck brought it.  Everyone's standard of living will take a hit.

True.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Why has it become insolvent?

Have states like, I dunno - Massachusetts, habitually mispent or misinvested their highway funds on bike lanes and rail trails?

That leaky $20 billion homicidal hole, and its environmental offset requirements, known as the Big Dig certainly wasn't money well spent.  We'll be paying for Mike Dukakis' and Fred Salvucci's misadventure for generations.

State governments need to bid and compete with each other for Federal Highway funds to hold them to account for their mismanagement of local, state, and Federal funds.

On April 13, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and a number of transportation and labor groups wrote the House and Senate transportation committees urging creation of a VMT to offset dwindling fuel tax revenues and restore solvency to the Highway Trust Fund.

Once again, a Senate Republican has been lead astray by the US Chamber of Commerce.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 07:03:58 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I thought "Republicans" were for reducing taxes.
Or at least "holding the line" against tax increases, especially for businesses?

(but again, I'm just the dumb ol' fishrrman...)