Author Topic: IRS and State Tax Reporting  (Read 471 times)

Offline Slide Rule

IRS and State Tax Reporting
« on: May 21, 2021, 11:42:56 am »

Well last week was the day as I always wait the the last day or day before it is due.

I decline to file electronically.

And that places an additional burden on me. And yes, that entailed a few words of profanity.

This year I was able to find a form for Fed taxes where I could print two copies, and capture an image for my computer
file. One of the printed versions goes to our Masters.

As for the State of Ohio, they have a love for Adobe to be able to use a fill in form. Last year and this year was the same
outcome. So I entered data onto the form and then hand copied it twice, with hand copies going to Columbus, Washington,
and one to my manila file.

I know many of you prefer electronic filing, but I just don't wish to give my name, SS, address, and earnings to the web.
My bank offered Turbo Tax but it is tied up with joining their website including name, address, SS just for access.

I am willing to learn.

If I am wrong or too conservative in a reluctance to give financial and SS data to someone on the web, please give me the
assurances that you give yourself.

The State of Ohio is even worse than the Fed. No doubt they have some deal with Adobe. Yes, I deleted it from my
computer.

Guess I will be filling out my forms in pen for the foreseeable future. Unless, someone has a stunning observation. I am
looking to benefit from your knowledge. What have I missed?

@Slide Rule

« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 11:46:00 am by Slide Rule »
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline andy58-in-nh

Re: IRS and State Tax Reporting
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 12:49:41 pm »
I file electronically and have for about five years.

I only have to file a Federal return because I live in a state with no income tax (you might want to consider that).

If you use a service like Free Fill-able Forms, it is linked to a secure server and requires a new user name and password each time. It is even more secure if you are using a VPN at home.

As for your SSN, address etc. - they are already out there, courtesy of multiple credit report hackers, and not just on the "dark web", either.

The best you can do is to keep your own PC and home network secure by using antivirus software, anti-malware/spyware, and a virtual private network.

And never pay the IRS a cent more than you have to - take advantage of every exemption, deduction and tax deferral that you can, legally.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 03:29:46 pm »
Thanks,

I found a Free Fillable Forms Site
https://www.freefilefillableforms.com#/fd

I have bookmarked it and will investigate it now and consider your advice.

I see that creating an account is necessary with:
Email
User ID
Phone
Password.

Not as bad as several others.

I have a land line and cell. I rarely use my land line as it is mostly marketing calls
and scams.

If you have a different site, could you link it.

Thanks again.

@Slide Rule

« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 03:38:21 pm by Slide Rule »

Recommended

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 03:44:29 pm »

I decline to file electronically.

Same here.  As far as I am concerned, SSN# should never be on the internet for any reason.  In my case, I only disclose it to the IRS on forms, and to my financial institutions for accounts.  I am sure I gave it to DMV almost 50 years ago, but otherwise it is a family state secret for each of us

When other places, like Dr.'s hosptials, and others ask, I leave that part blank, and write in.  "withheld for ID theft concerns"  No one has ever challenged that.

I suggest everyone else do the same.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 03:45:33 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DB

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 03:45:22 pm »
I file electronically and have for about five years.

I only have to file a Federal return because I live in a state with no income tax (you might want to consider that).

If you use a service like Free Fill-able Forms, it is linked to a secure server and requires a new user name and password each time. It is even more secure if you are using a VPN at home.

As for your SSN, address etc. - they are already out there, courtesy of multiple credit report hackers, and not just on the "dark web", either.

The best you can do is to keep your own PC and home network secure by using antivirus software, anti-malware/spyware, and a virtual private network.

And never pay the IRS a cent more than you have to - take advantage of every exemption, deduction and tax deferral that you can, legally.

Why does VPN provide you any additional security over HTTPS if all you are doing is going to a Web site?

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2021, 03:48:02 pm »

Not when you never get credit cards, I have had the same one i use for 35 years.  Also, I pay cash for everything.  I have never bought anything that required a mortgage or a payment.

And by the way, I do use VPN, but for other privacy reasons.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DB

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2021, 02:40:50 pm »
Not when you never get credit cards, I have had the same one i use for 35 years.  Also, I pay cash for everything.  I have never bought anything that required a mortgage or a payment.

And by the way, I do use VPN, but for other privacy reasons.

Generally VPN is only useful for security if you are accessing a computer, server, NAS drive or other device in your home from the outside world over the Internet. Nearly all Web sites these days are HTTPS so it is secure between the outside server all the way through to your browser. Using VPN on top of that doesn't gain much. If you use VPN to hide where you are going on the Web that works up to the other end of the VPN proxy. But all your data/activity is funneled through one location that is known to law enforcement and others likely increasing the chances of interception. And there are logs for your specific VPN connection and what it has connected to over the Internet on their equipment. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the many of the proxies setup all over the Web are done by the NSA, FBI and/or CIA and hackers.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2021, 02:57:08 pm »
Generally VPN is only useful for security if you are accessing a computer, server, NAS drive or other device in your home from the outside world over the Internet. Nearly all Web sites these days are HTTPS so it is secure between the outside server all the way through to your browser. Using VPN on top of that doesn't gain much. If you use VPN to hide where you are going on the Web that works up to the other end of the VPN proxy. But all your data/activity is funneled through one location that is known to law enforcement and others likely increasing the chances of interception. And there are logs for your specific VPN connection and what it has connected to over the Internet on their equipment. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the many of the proxies setup all over the Web are done by the NSA, FBI and/or CIA and hackers.

Good explanation.  Mine is not criminal intent, but an attempt to thwart businesses, scams, etc from knowing my location, and browsing interests. I know it doesn't work 100%, but I prefer them thinking any interest is a 1000 miles away.

Offline DB

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2021, 03:30:31 pm »
Good explanation.  Mine is not criminal intent, but an attempt to thwart businesses, scams, etc from knowing my location, and browsing interests. I know it doesn't work 100%, but I prefer them thinking any interest is a 1000 miles away.

Your browser is the weak link on that front. Cookies (and other metadata) identify your browser and many sites won't work without them. That's how they track you. You are correct that VPN, or any proxy server really, will make you appear somewhere potentially far from where you actually are. Normally an IP address only narrows where you are down to your Internet service providers pools of IP addresses. Meaning it can locate you down to the general neighborhood but not your home. I'm speaking of what the external Web sites can determine via your IP address.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2021, 04:00:59 pm »
@Slide Rule

I use IRS website to print two 1040 forms.  Use pen to work on one for me.  When that one is correct, fill out the other with pen and send it in.  I always owe money.  Will not give them access to my bank so I use one of government's approved companies to pay by card, and use same card every year.  Have done it this way for years and no problem.  I will not fill out an IRS form on line.

TEXAS DEADLINE IS JUNE 15.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 04:02:34 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2021, 12:49:45 pm »
@Slide Rule

I use IRS website to print two 1040 forms.  Use pen to work on one for me.  When that one is correct, fill out the other with pen and send it in.  I always owe money.  Will not give them access to my bank so I use one of government's approved companies to pay by card, and use same card every year.  Have done it this way for years and no problem.  I will not fill out an IRS form on line.

TEXAS DEADLINE IS JUNE 15.

That is what I did forever. Then about 10 years back I created a spreadsheet. The problem with that is taxes change every year.
I used to modify it, but gave that up. I found the free forms and would capture a copy on my computer, a 2nd for my manilla file,
and send the 3rd to the IRS. Similar for State forms.

I would rather send in something printed on my computer, or written by me. I am looking into Free File Fillable Forms
to see if it is satisfactory. If not, back to print a form and write in the numbers.

https://www.freefilefillableforms.com#/fd

Recommended

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2021, 01:09:33 pm »
Thanks everyone for your thoughts on security detail considerations.

I limit SS and if it is a deal breaker, I break the deal.

Taxes are one of the harassment's of life, like TV ads, Robo calls, junk mail,
masks, and media.

I had one guy call me weekly. A police officer. He called so much I recognized
his voice. Each call I escalated and said something he would remember.

I used to have offers from the Toledo Blade. Calls every 3rd week or so for
a year or more. It takes patience.

Still get them from someone working on my computer for Dr Gates.

I think fillable forms are a useful thing. That is if the attachment can be limited.
I wish to separate the data from the site.

Thanks
Slide Rule
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 01:10:46 pm by Slide Rule »

Recommended