Author Topic: Biden administration takes first step toward light bulb efficiency standard  (Read 3100 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Biden administration takes first step toward light bulb efficiency standard
By Rachel Frazin - 05/20/21 06:08 PM EDT

The Biden administration is taking the first step necessary to instate an energy efficiency standard for light bulbs, a move that’s expected to undermine incandescent bulbs in favor of LEDs.

On Thursday, the Energy Department issued a pre-publication version of what’s known as a request for information asking stakeholders to weigh in on reinstating the standard.

Specifically, it asks for details like how long it will take stores to sell through their bulb inventories and what industry needs to do to avoid “stranded” inventory.

Supporters of reinstating the standards argue the move reduce greenhouse gas emissions with less energy being used, as well as save consumers money on their electricity bills.

“We’re unnecessarily wasting a lot of energy and costing consumers a lot of money on their utility bills by every month that this is delayed,” said Noah Horowitz, director of the Center for Energy Efficiency Standards at the Natural Resource Defense Council.

In 2019, the Trump administration determined that it did not need to instate the updated standard for incandescent light bulbs.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/554661-biden-administration-takes-step-toward-instating-lightbulb
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline roamer_1

There's a string of incandescent 100w bulbs under my house. There's two more down in the well house.

When the temp in either place gets too low (40, I believe) a little red LED comes on in my house, That's my cue to go turn those lights on.

How the hell do I do that with LEDs? And I am by no means alone here in the Great White North.

Offline Hoodat

Incandescent bulbs are already 100% efficient.  Five percent of the energy goes towards lighting your house and the other 95% goes towards heating it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

Incandescent bulbs are already 100% efficient.  Five percent of the energy goes towards lighting your house and the other 95% goes towards heating it.

That ain't necessarily a bad thing in some places... Here being one of them.

Online libertybele

Ok, so this just verifies once again that Joe is a complete idiot.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
There's a string of incandescent 100w bulbs under my house. There's two more down in the well house.

When the temp in either place gets too low (40, I believe) a little red LED comes on in my house, That's my cue to go turn those lights on.

How the hell do I do that with LEDs? And I am by no means alone here in the Great White North.
Right. It isn't always about illumination, sometimes the "waste heat" is the objective, and the light is the byproduct.
I ever thought it idiotic to assume the heat was wasted at this latitude. With 16 hours of daylight in the warm months, people don't use the lights that much, and in winter, when there are 16 hours per day of darkness (and subzero temps) no heat is wasted.  :pondering:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 12:28:39 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

Considering I was my little sister's Easy Bake Oven lab rat, I wonder what culinary wonders I might have been deprived of had there been no incandescent bulbs... :whistle: :silly:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Considering I was my little sister's Easy Bake Oven lab rat, I wonder what culinary wonders I might have been deprived of had there been no incandescent bulbs... :whistle: :silly:

HA! I was likewise appointed. I heard that!  :silly:

Offline Smokin Joe

HA! I was likewise appointed. I heard that!  :silly:
:beer:

C S Lewis

BassWrangler

Since all the LEDs are made in China, when the ChiComs declare war with us, we can sit in the dark.

Offline Smokin Joe

Since all the LEDs are made in China, when the ChiComs declare war with us, we can sit in the dark.
Which bulbs go first in an EMP?

C S Lewis

Offline Joe Wooten

Which bulbs go first in an EMP?

None of them. The electrical distribution system goes first.......

Offline Smokin Joe

None of them. The electrical distribution system goes first.......
It's okay, I have enough bulbs, it'll be putting out the current to feed them that will be a challenge.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
bele wrote:
"Ok, so this just verifies once again that Joe is a complete idiot."

C'mon, man!
You know that he didn't have 1% of the input into making this decision.
He may not even KNOW about it...

Offline Smokin Joe

Dim bulbs writing standards for light bulbs?

What could possibly go wrong?

C S Lewis

Online DefiantMassRINO

Weren't we already put through this during the Obama admin?

Since affordable 2700K (soft white) LED bulbs became available in standard sizes (A15/17/19) and standard bases (E26), why would I want to use incadescent bulbs?

Around this way we're paying $0.12/13 per kWH generation and $0.12/13 per kWH transmission for electricity.

They've shuddered most of the coal plants.  They've shutdown a couple nuclear plants (Yankee Rowe, Pilgrim).  They won't build or expand the natural gas plants nor pipelines.  They've been trying to shove Cape Wind (offshore Nantucket Sound windmills) down our throats for the past 15 years.  The state and feds have been subsidizing solar and onshore wind.  They won't allow construction of local hydro-electric, so we are going to pay through the nose to get more Quebec Hydro via the New England Clean Energy Connect that Central Maine Power/Avangrid is building through Western Maine.

The Federal Energy Commission has been concerned that Massachusetts is too dependent on a single source of generation - pipeline natural gas - while not building new or expanding exisiting natural pipeline nor LNG.  Our electric companies can't even build more intra-state transmission capacity because of town NIMBY's.  If we have a long cold spell in Winter, Massachusetts utility customers may have shortages of natural gas heat AND electricity.  The moonbats won't even allow for the custruction of new/additional pipeline capacity for to pipe in Marcelleus and Utica fracked shale gas from next door (New York, Pennsylvania).  It's nuts.  The moonbats are making working people pay more for gas and electricity, risk more shortages, and make the state more economically non-competitive for employers and residents - all so they can feel good about themselves as they have wine, cheese, and lobster at their summer mansions on Nantucket and the Vineyard.

In 2013, when Solar City (now Tesla) came around offering non-money out-of-pocket rooftop solar leaseback, I jumped at the chance.  I knew that our electricity price would be going through the roof because of supply constriction.  Since we got the solar panels, we've taken down more trees and we save more from the solar.  I estimate we save at minimum average of $50/month (which would be equivalent to $80/month pre-tax gross income).

I use 2700K LED bulbs to save money, post pay-roll taxes, not to save Mother Earth.

These enviro-Nazi Global Climate Change moonbats need to be stopped if we are to restore America to a global competitive economic power.  We can increase efficiencies and reduce pollution without having to give away our industrial and technology base to China and India.  These limousine liberals have probably never written out their own payments for utilities or ever pumped their own gasoline.  They have no concept of how much their non-sense is costing every day Americans, nor do they care.  It's all limousine liberal self-congratulatory douchebaggery.  Their solution to every problem that doesn't exist is another new tax that will be paid by other people.

It wouldn't shock me if the moonbats imposed a firewood tax as more people burn wood to save on oil and natural gas heat costs.  They will stop at nothing to destroy other people's lives and livelihoods in pursuit of the purple dragon that is their addiction to this Global Climate Change nonsense.

I cannot fathom how this isn't a global Communist conspiracy to send American exceptionalism to the waste bin of history.   It makes no sense on any level ... incur such increased cost and lower standard of living to not solve a problem that does not exist.  Want to cool the Earth so the polar bears can have more ice?  Nuke some freaking active volcanoes.  Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh!

- your cousin from Boston.

P.S., They had to close the pool for about an hour.  They never did find his finger.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline roamer_1

Since affordable 2700K (soft white) LED bulbs became available in standard sizes (A15/17/19) and standard bases (E26), why would I want to use incadescent bulbs?

I have only incandescent bulbs... At least anything that is going to be on at night is incandescent.

Offline Smokin Joe

Weren't we already put through this during the Obama admin?

Around this way we're paying $0.12/13 per kWH generation and $0.12/13 per kWH transmission for electricity.
Well, that makes sense for you. At my latitude, solar would have to be mounted in a way as to resist winds clocked over 90 MPH and be able to track the sun (limited to 8 hrs/day in the dead of winter) at nearly the horizon. It just doesn't work here. More power to you. The incandescent bulbs, mainly used in winter, add a smidgin of heat to rooms being used, and are turned off otherwise. The heat isn't wasted, and in some instances is used to keep things from freezing, which even though well insulated in their enclosures require a low grade heat source to stay above 32 degrees.

They've shuddered most of the coal plants.  [I think you meant "shuttered", but I get it] They've shutdown a couple nuclear plants (Yankee Rowe, Pilgrim).  They won't build or expand the natural gas plants nor pipelines.  They've been trying to shove Cape Wind (offshore Nantucket Sound windmills) down our throats for the past 15 years.  The state and feds have been subsidizing solar and onshore wind.  They won't allow construction of local hydro-electric, so we are going to pay through the nose to get more Quebec Hydro via the New England Clean Energy Connect that Central Maine Power/Avangrid is building through Western Maine.

The Federal Energy Commission has been concerned that Massachusetts is too dependent on a single source of generation - pipeline natural gas - while not building new or expanding exisiting natural pipeline nor LNG.  Our electric companies can't even build more intra-state transmission capacity because of town NIMBY's.  If we have a long cold spell in Winter, Massachusetts utility customers may have shortages of natural gas heat AND electricity.  The moonbats won't even allow for the custruction of new/additional pipeline capacity for to pipe in Marcelleus and Utica fracked shale gas from next door (New York, Pennsylvania).  It's nuts.  The moonbats are making working people pay more for gas and electricity, risk more shortages, and make the state more economically non-competitive for employers and residents - all so they can feel good about themselves as they have wine, cheese, and lobster at their summer mansions on Nantucket and the Vineyard.
For starters, gas from the Utica is likely coming from PA or Ohio, Marcellus from PA, because NY has had a fraccing and pipeline moratorium going for a few years now. All the down stream folks in New England suffer because of NY policy. How is that not an Interstate Commerce problem?

In 2013, when Solar City (now Tesla) came around offering non-money out-of-pocket rooftop solar leaseback, I jumped at the chance.  I knew that our electricity price would be going through the roof because of supply constriction.  Since we got the solar panels, we've taken down more trees and we save more from the solar.  I estimate we save at minimum average of $50/month (which would be equivalent to $80/month pre-tax gross income).

I use 2700K LED bulbs to save money, post pay-roll taxes, not to save Mother Earth.

These enviro-Nazi Global Climate Change moonbats need to be stopped if we are to restore America to a global competitive economic power.  We can increase efficiencies and reduce pollution without having to give away our industrial and technology base to China and India.  These limousine liberals have probably never written out their own payments for utilities or ever pumped their own gasoline.  They have no concept of how much their non-sense is costing every day Americans, nor do they care.  It's all limousine liberal self-congratulatory douchebaggery.  Their solution to every problem that doesn't exist is another new tax that will be paid by other people.

It wouldn't shock me if the moonbats imposed a firewood tax as more people burn wood to save on oil and natural gas heat costs.  They will stop at nothing to destroy other people's lives and livelihoods in pursuit of the purple dragon that is their addiction to this Global Climate Change nonsense.

I cannot fathom how this isn't a global Communist conspiracy to send American exceptionalism to the waste bin of history.   It makes no sense on any level ... incur such increased cost and lower standard of living to not solve a problem that does not exist.  Want to cool the Earth so the polar bears can have more ice?  Nuke some freaking active volcanoes.  Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh!

- your cousin from Boston.

As for this:
I cannot fathom how this isn't a global Communist conspiracy to send American exceptionalism to the waste bin of history.   It makes no sense on any level ... incur such increased cost and lower standard of living to not solve a problem that does not exist.

I fully agree. There is no other reason to impoverish the 'arsenal of democacy' and the SOviets were sliding funding to global enviro groups in the '70s for the express purpose of hindering western industrial development. In the meantime, they had lakes covered with ten ft. of oil from leaking pipelines and you didn't hear a peep in the Mass Media, who were only interested in attacking America (because you didn't have 'unfortunate accidents' and polonium cocktails from attacking the West).

As for this:
P.S., They had to close the pool for about an hour.  They never did find his finger.

I'm not sure what that is about, but someone needs to give them the finger.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 10:13:10 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Well, that makes sense for you. At my latitude, solar would have to be mounted in a way as to resist winds clocked over 90 MPH and be able to track the sun (limited to 8 hrs/day in the dead of winter) at nearly the horizon. It just doesn't work here.

Well, yeah it will, barring the wind...

It just costs way more. about double what it does elsewhere.  Where eight panels seems to be a fairly average system down in Appalachia, up in here it's twelve or more. And more battery too - and that is still no cause to throw out the jenny.

The feller I am patterning after has 16 panels and eight batteries., and he makes sufficient power, clouds or not, even in the dead of winter. Four circuits (because he built it 4 pans at a time) through two controllers. He hardly ever uses all of it at once, using one or the other, unless it is cloudy, except for in the winter. And he stays lit. And the only time he requires more than it can give him is when he fires up the stick welder in his shop.

Now I am using his formula - 4 panels and two batteries at a time... Live with that for a couple years and add 4/2 more... and so on. That way, 15 years in or so, when it starts to fail, it won't fail all at once.  And of course, it is more affordable out of pocket too.

I ain't going that big though, as I am trying to use turbines in a waterfall for my main power, providing I can figure out how to get that power from the creek to the cabin - It is shield country, so I still don't know how I am going to bring the water (and electric) over buried 4 ft deep. it is a bother, and my main concern. Not knowing that, I am starting with solar/jenny. Providing I can have my turbines, I will stop the solar at 8/4 or 8/6.

But I mean to say it can be done.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 01:43:32 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Yeah, that worked out so well last time.    :thud:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

@roamer_1

Any geysers close to you?  Wondering how deep you would have to go to get steam power from the underground heat.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

@roamer_1

Any geysers close to you?  Wondering how deep you would have to go to get steam power from the underground heat.

Nice idea, but no. Closest that would work is down in Hot Springs. They've got that (geothermal) going on in a big way over in Spokane, WA... but up in here we are in shale... with hot springs few and far between.

Besides, I have  around 20 ft of waterfall, and enough flow to fill a couple 8-10" pipes and not really bother the creek at all. That's what turns me on... All that is really in the way is getting it to the cabin, shop, and barn...

Correction - That ain't the problem. It is really trying to pull water from there... Being in the shield, getting down 4 ft is laughable. But no doubt I could get 16/18" which is plenty to bury a cable or two.... My thinking goes to the water depth, because then the cables are incidental.

So I CAN do the turbines. maybe I have to catch rainwater instead of using that wonderful spring water... Or put in a big cistern and only feed it in the summer with a shallow line I have to blow out in the fall.

One way or another, it is all doable - I am just flopping around on the how. :shrug:

Offline thackney

WTF???

100 Watt electric heater that screws into a standard Edison Light Bulb socket.  Other sizes available.

https://www.processheating.com/products/air-load-bank/cone-heaters/

Other styles are available.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer