Author Topic: Biden's Supreme Court Commission meets for first time amid growing calls to expand the court  (Read 462 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
CBS News By Melissa Quinn 5/19/2021

President Biden's commission tasked with studying potential reforms to the Supreme Court gathered for the first time Wednesday as pressure to expand the number of seats on the high court grows following its decision to hear a blockbuster abortion dispute in its next term.

Mr. Biden formed the commission through executive order last month to examine the "contemporary commentary and debate" about the role of the high court, as well as arguments for and against Supreme Court reform, including proposals to add seats to the high court.

The 36-member commission, composed of legal scholars, retired federal judges and law professors, must submit a report to the president within 180 days of the first meeting on the functions of the high court. Bob Bauer, former White House counsel and adviser to Mr. Biden's campaign, and Cristina Rodríguez, a law professor at Yale and former deputy assistant attorney general, are co-chairing the panel.

More: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/supreme-court-commission-meeting-expansion/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Well, I guess that means SCOTUS is on double secret probation...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis