Author Topic: How a Green Beret captain sold out his own teammates to Russia  (Read 318 times)

rangerrebew

How a Green Beret captain sold out his own teammates to Russia

“It sounds crazy and almost unbelievable," one soldier said.

By Paul Szoldra May 18, 2021

Peter Debbins

Peter Debbins claims he was a patriot seeking adventure when he entered U.S. Army officer training in July 1998. But the soldier, who became an elite Green Beret and later applied to the Central Intelligence Agency, lived a double life as a Russian mole and gave Moscow the names of his Special Forces colleagues years later.

“I feel personally betrayed. My Detachment Commander sold me out to Russia,” a subordinate said of Debbins in a sentencing memorandum recently filed in Virginia. “It sounds crazy and almost unbelievable.”

Debbins, 46, was sentenced on Friday to more than 15 years in federal prison after admitting he passed secrets to Moscow for roughly the same amount of time. Yet despite his former teammate’s disbelief, court documents paint a troubling picture of a young, self-described immigrant “son of Russia” who grew up in Minnesota and came to be known by Russia’s GRU military intelligence service by the codename Ikar Lenikov without American intelligence knowing for more than two decades.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/us-army-special-forces-peter-debbins/

rangerrebew

Re: How a Green Beret captain sold out his own teammates to Russia
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 11:48:54 am »
Another bad check mark for SOFs. :nono:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 02:47:28 pm »
“The Russian GRU ruined my honor and potential as an American,” Debbins wrote.

Weasel words. He betrayed his teammates and his country to avoid personal embarrassment. NOBODY "made" him do it. It was his own decision.

Selfish Self-interest is the name of that game.

BTW,I knew a couple of homos on active duty in SF in the 60's,as well as a couple of married couples that were "swingers". At least one couple was an officer and his wife,and the other couple were a warrant officer and his wife. I know this for a fact because I was asked if I wanted to have sex with their wives while they watched and took photos. This was more than a step too far in the "wrong direction" for me,so I thanked them for the offer and said "no thanks".

They kept a low profile,but I am sure I am not the only one who knew about their secrets. Nobody really gave a damn as well as they did their jobs.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 02:49:34 pm »
Another bad check mark for SOFs. :nono:

@rangerrebew

We all knew SF was going to be hurt when they became a career branch with more than one General Officer.

The army should have just made a "Let the backstabbing begin!" announcement at the time.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!