General Category > World News

980-foot skyscraper sways in China, prompting panic and evacuations

<< < (3/4) > >>

Wingnut:
Before it collapses on its own Maybe a Muzlum could fly a plane into it and put it out of its misery.

libertybele:

--- Quote from: Weird Tolkienish Figure on May 18, 2021, 06:19:38 pm ---Three words: Made in China.

--- End quote ---

:beer:  ...and to think that they're bidding on a lot of jobs and projects in the U.S.A.  Their materials are certainly being used.  Around here we had terrible issues with homes/condos that were built with Chinese drywall - many lawsuits that took several years to settle.

Fishrrman:
Sounds like China could have the architectural equivalent of the old Tacoma Narrows bridge (Galloping Gertie).

Sumthin' tells me that someday... that thing is gonna come down... with a bang.

Sled Dog:

--- Quote from: thackney on May 18, 2021, 06:02:56 pm ---Hard to imagine if caused by wind, this was the first time for a 20 year old building.

--- End quote ---

Possible standard vortex shedding excitation combined with degraded foundation would be my guess, if the assertion of no seismic activity is valid.

Other excitation inputs could be vibration from a subway...I've no information about the surrounding town.

But they seriously need to check their foundations.   I can't imagine what else could cause this two decades after construction.   It's seen all the wind it's going to see, so it has to be something else.    And sure, maybe some of the steel is crap and is fracturing or rivets are failing in the walls.

Or, maybe GW Bush's team of Secret Squib Secreters is planning another 9-11?   (just kidding)

Sled Dog:

--- Quote from: Fishrrman on May 18, 2021, 10:02:43 pm ---Sounds like China could have the architectural equivalent of the old Tacoma Narrows bridge (Galloping Gertie).

Sumthin' tells me that someday... that thing is gonna come down... with a bang.

--- End quote ---

Yes, but the delay is curious.   Not a typical vortex shedding/resonance design issue here.  Something else is going on, internally.

The NY Post story says the wind speed was 27 mph, which doesn't seem anywhere near enough to create a harmonic response in a vertical cantilever with such a high section moment of inertia.    The deck of the Galloping Gurdy bridge was had a significantly lower stiffness value and it still took gale force winds to excite it to destruction.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version