General Category > Science, Technology and Knowledge

Now it's CNN: Electric cars could "wipe out this species"

(1/1)

rangerrebew:
Now it's CNN: Electric cars could "wipe out this species"
Ed Morrissey May 11, 2021 8:21 AM ET
(AP Photo/Tim Ireland)

First the New York Times warned about the environmental impact of transforming America’s vehicles to electric. Now CNN reports on the devastating consequences of the mining that such a transformation would necessitate. Environmentalists want to save a species of buckwheat from extinction, an issue that would be largely academic except for the need to produce billions of batteries to replace gasoline:

Fewer than 40 years after humans discovered Tiehm’s buckwheat, a Nevada plant with yellow flowers, they may drive it to extinction in pursuit of electric vehicles, a technology widely hailed as being environmentally friendly.

Environmentalists say the benefits of Tiehm’s buckwheat could be vast, but its full significance is unknown. What’s certain, they say, is that guarding Tiehm’s buckwheat is important for preserving biodiversity on Earth. The flower is so newly discovered that it hasn’t been studied thoroughly, they say. But botanists say they’re impressed with Tiehm’s buckwheat’s ability to thrive where few species can — poor soil that’s full of boron and lithium.

That lithium in Nevada, and elsewhere in the world, increasingly has the attention of businesses and governments. Ioneer, an Australian mining company, has said it’s ready to break ground on a lithium mine later this year on the land where Tiehm’s buckwheat grows. Under the barren soils lies 146.5 million metric tons of lithium and boron. The project has been valued at $1.265 billion.

https://hotair.com/ed-morrissey/2021/05/11/now-its-cnn-electric-cars-could-wipe-out-this-species-n389095

DefiantMassRINO:

They've had 40 years to study and cultivate it.  WTF?  Those are some slothful botanists.

GtHawk:

--- Quote from: DefiantMassRINO on May 18, 2021, 05:51:30 pm ---They've had 40 years to study and cultivate it.  WTF?  Those are some slothful botanists.

--- End quote ---
My thoughts also, along with, doesn't the Federal Government own almost a majority of Nevada?

So is there really any risk that there would ever in anyone's wildest dream that any operations of a scale large enough to "wipe out this species" be allowed?

Oh and the headline brings up visions of thousand of electric cars racing around and doing donuts destroying the plants.

thackney:

--- Quote from: GtHawk on May 18, 2021, 07:25:20 pm ---My thoughts also, along with, doesn't the Federal Government own almost a majority of Nevada?

--- End quote ---

Feds own 80% of Nevada

Federal Land Ownership: Overview and Data
https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42346.pdf
Updated February 21, 2020

GtHawk:

--- Quote from: thackney on May 18, 2021, 07:41:21 pm ---Feds own 80% of Nevada

Federal Land Ownership: Overview and Data
https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42346.pdf
Updated February 21, 2020

--- End quote ---
yes, If I had only been clever enough to take a good look at the map I posted I would have corrected my statement.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version