Author Topic: Surprising number of EV owners switch back to gas power, study says  (Read 6244 times)

rangerrebew

Surprising number of EV owners switch back to gas power, study says

The study looked at owners in California specifically and found home charging was a huge factor in people dropping the EV lifestyle.

Sean Szymkowski
May 4, 2021 9:14 a.m. PT

For nearly one-fifth of EV owners, it was one-and-done.
Tesla

As so much of the world works to pivot away from fossil fuels and the internal-combustion engine, a new study from the University of California, Davis, published in the journal Nature Energy last week, showed some concerning signs for what the auto industry still needs to get right. According to this study, which looked at California EV owners specifically between 2015-2019, 18% of electric vehicle owners switched back to a gas-powered car. For plug-in hybrid owners, 20% of them flipped back to a car solely powered by an engine.

The major takeaway from the EV flip-flopping lands in the lap of charging -- specifically at-home charging. The lack of reliable Level 2 charging at home (that's a 240-volt plug) was a major factor leading to EV "discontinuance," as the researchers called it. That makes sense. If you don't have a place to charge reliably, it makes it a lot harder to enjoy the benefits associated with an EV, including an overall lower cost of ownership. Public charging infrastructure remains just OK, with many stations down for maintenance, or simply not close enough to drivers, even in California, where chargers are more common than the rest of the US. And charging times at a public station still aren't on par with gassing up a car.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/ev-owners-switch-gas-power-study/?TheTime=2021-05-18T05%3A48%3A22&PostType=link&ServiceType=twitter&ftag=COS-05-10aaa0b&UniqueID=A7ED027C-B79C-11EB-BF4E-972E3A982C1E

Offline thackney

I am surprised it has not become common to build the charger into the car and use a standard 30A, 240V receptacle (like for an electric clothes dryer).

Faster charging from an outside unit could be available, but quit requiring a special electrical service for homes built without the capability.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline DefiantMassRINO

How do you charge your electric car to escape a wildfire if the electric companies have shutoff the power to prevent even more wildfires?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I am surprised it has not become common to build the charger into the car and use a standard 30A, 240V receptacle (like for an electric clothes dryer).

Faster charging from an outside unit could be available, but quit requiring a special electrical service for homes built without the capability.

i"m suprised they don't use a "swappable battery" type deal where you can just drive to a gas station like place and swap one out.

Offline thackney

i"m suprised they don't use a "swappable battery" type deal where you can just drive to a gas station like place and swap one out.

Seems like a good way to replace your new battery with an old worn out one.

• Technical

I could see it being like a "propane tank" kinda deal, you never actually buy a new battery, just used ones, because swapping one out is infinitely cheaper. But what do I know?

Of course, I know nothing of the size of the batteries or the complications involved... and I do know the infrastructure just ain't there yet.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten

Industry will not be able to make enough batteries to even have one per EV at the projected number of EVs (which number I don't believe BTW); making enough extra batteries that they can be swapped routinely is simply not in the cards given the amount of rare earths necessary.
James 1:20

Offline thackney

I could see it being like a "propane tank" kinda deal, you never actually buy a new battery, just used ones, because swapping one out is infinitely cheaper. But what do I know?

Of course, I know nothing of the size of the batteries or the complications involved... and I do know the infrastructure just ain't there yet.

Swapping out propane tanks is cheaper than owning and filling your own?  That was never my experience.

I do not see how it could be cheaper, just more convenient when traveling.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I remember Musk thought it was a great idea back in 2013 and Business Insider did a 2015 story on how it wasn't working out.https://www.businessinsider.com/teslas-battery-swapping-plan-isnt-working-out-2015-6   :shrug:

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't

So who do the survivors blame when the battery explodes and wipes out everyone in the car.

I can see how car manufacturers would want to stay as far away from that as possible.   

I can see how normal people would want to stay away from that, too.   I gave up my gas grill because I had no idea who had those tanks before and how they were used.   
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

BassWrangler

Re: Surprising number of EV owners switch back to gas power, study says
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2021, 08:56:57 pm »

That's exactly how it works on the Tesla.

The car comes with a Mobile Connector, which plugs into 110V. For a few bucks, you can buy an adapter for that that lets it plug into a standard NEMA 240V socket (there are several variants supported).

https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation/mobile-connector

This gets you typically to 240V 30A charging. If you want more than that, or want the convenience of a big robust cord and a place to wind it up, then you can buy their Wall Connector. This also requires a 240V circuit, but it can do higher current (mine is currently limited by the capacity of my existing breaker box - IIRC it's 40A).

« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 09:00:41 pm by BassWrangler »

Offline thackney

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2021, 08:59:01 pm »
That's exactly how it works on the Tesla.

Thanks, what is the amp rating of that circuit?

BassWrangler

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2021, 09:01:03 pm »
Thanks, what is the amp rating of that circuit?

Check my post again - I added some detail.

Offline thackney

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2021, 09:17:24 pm »
Check my post again - I added some detail.

Thank you!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2021, 09:26:28 pm »
And some of us will never buy one in the first place.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

BassWrangler

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2021, 10:50:30 pm »
And some of us will never buy one in the first place.

I'm sure in the early days of the automobile, as it started to supplant the horse and buggy, there were many that felt just as you do now, @Bigun.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2021, 12:17:19 am »
I'm sure in the early days of the automobile, as it started to supplant the horse and buggy, there were many that felt just as you do now, @Bigun.

The automobile offers several advantages over the horse and buggy, whereas as far as I can tell the electric car has no advantages over the gas-powered car, and several clear disadvantages, such as shorter range, slower max speed, longer time to refuel. Why would anyone buy an electric car instead of a gas-powered car?
Let it burn.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2021, 01:27:16 am »

The same could be done with a tank of sodium borohydride.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

BassWrangler

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2021, 05:29:53 am »
The automobile offers several advantages over the horse and buggy, whereas as far as I can tell the electric car has no advantages over the gas-powered car, and several clear disadvantages, such as shorter range, slower max speed, longer time to refuel. Why would anyone buy an electric car instead of a gas-powered car?

Key words being "as far as I can tell". Drive one for a month and get back to me.

• Technical
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2021, 11:48:02 am »

Not needing to worry about the oil is one advantage i'd give them. Plus less maintenance need in general.

Online dfwgator

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2021, 01:13:08 pm »
Duh!

• Technical
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2021, 01:15:28 pm »
So who do the survivors blame when the battery explodes and wipes out everyone in the car.

I can see how car manufacturers would want to stay as far away from that as possible.   

I can see how normal people would want to stay away from that, too.   I gave up my gas grill because I had no idea who had those tanks before and how they were used.   

It's not like gasoline powered cars are 100% safe either though. Cars kill plenty of people in the US, people still drive.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2021, 01:40:51 pm »
I'm all for people being able to spend their money however they wish so if you want an electric car be my guest.  I'll pass.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2021, 01:48:00 pm »
I'm all for people being able to spend their money however they wish so if you want an electric car be my guest.  I'll pass.

Up in here they ain't worth having... They don't do so good in mountains, nor in bitter cold. My sis has a hybrid, and it hardly comes off the motor all winter long, and she took me for a ride down along the lake, and every hill, the motor kicked in. It don't make no sense.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2021, 01:51:27 pm »
Up in here they ain't worth having... They don't do so good in mountains, nor in bitter cold. My sis has a hybrid, and it hardly comes off the motor all winter long, and she took me for a ride down along the lake, and every hill, the motor kicked in. It don't make no sense.

It's the same in lots of places but still if someone wants one and can afford it let them have it.

- J. R. R. Tolkien