General Category > Editorial/Opinion/Blogs

Dear GOP: Move On From Trump Without Repudiating His Voters

(1/5) > >>

mystery-ak:
Dear GOP: Move On From Trump Without Repudiating His Voters

Those who genuinely want a post-Trump GOP should focus on developing better options politically as well as in personality and policy.

By Nathanael Blake
May 18, 2021

Has-beens, might-have-beens, and never-weres will not move the Republican Party past Trump. Their latest stunt is another group project — the “Call for American Renewal” — that threatens to form a third party. Once again, the Never Trump dead-enders will try anything to take back the GOP from Donald Trump; anything, of course, other than appealing to actual Republican voters.

Yes, the GOP needs a new leader. Yet the way to move on from Trump is to move on from Trump, instead of keeping the political world revolving around him.

Trump is now another Florida retiree. Kicked off major social media, he has started a blog that only draws a fraction of his former audience. While he still has influence, he is increasingly irrelevant to the day-to-day work of Republican politics in statehouses and DC.

Thus, there is a strong case to be made that ignoring Trump is the best option currently available to Republicans. Time and irrelevance may sap affection for Trump more than direct attacks ever have. In contrast, endlessly debating the Trump years — from the 2016 Republican Party primary to the capitol riot — will not move the party forward.

Although doing so may please the small portion of the GOP that wants to see Trump officially repudiated, ultimately, it will only keep rallying the former president’s staunchest supporters while annoying the rest of us. Few Republicans regret supporting Trump over Joe Biden, even if they think it will be time for someone new in 2024.

more
https://thefederalist.com/2021/05/18/dear-gop-move-on-from-trump-without-repudiating-his-voters/

goatprairie:
Bottom line: Trump can't win in 2024.

DefiantMassRINO:

Without Cheeto Jesus, what does the GOP have to offer paycheck serfs?

I know they offer tax breaks to corporations.

I know they offer lower capital gains tax.

They were nice enough to cut my Federal income tax from 28% to 25% while eliminating my SALT deductions.

I know the GOP healthcare policy is unassisted euthenasia.

Does the GOP have an education policy?

Does the GOP have a domestic supply chain security policy?

Does the GOP have a domestic manufacturing security policy?

Does the GOP have a domestic energy security policy?

Does the GOP have anti-trust policy goals?

Does the GOP have a GDP growth policy (not just giving tax breaks to corporations so they can buy back stock, which does nothing to grow GDP)?

My experience has been that Democrats think I, as a white male heterosexual Christian of Western European descent, am to blame for all the world's problems.

Also, my experience has been that Republicans give lip service to family values and culture wars, but continue to sell out my economic interests to globalists and domestic oligarchs.

So, if the GOP, without the Oompa-Loompa-in-Chief, has anything to offer working Americans I'd like to hear it.

Thank you.

Absalom:

--- Quote from: mystery-ak on May 18, 2021, 02:47:43 pm ---Dear GOP: Move On From Trump Without Repudiating His Voters
Those who genuinely want a post-Trump GOP should focus on developing better options politically as well as in personality and policy. By Nathanael Blake, May 18, 2021
Yes, the GOP needs a new leader. Yet the way to move on from Trump is to move on from Trump, instead of keeping the political world revolving around him.
Trump is now another Florida retiree. Kicked off major social media, he has started a blog that only draws a fraction of his former audience. While he still has influence, he is increasingly irrelevant to the day-to-day work of Republican politics in statehouses and DC.
Thus, there is a strong case to be made that ignoring Trump is the best option currently available to Republicans. Time and irrelevance may sap affection for Trump more than direct attacks ever have. In contrast, endlessly debating the Trump years — from the 2016 Republican Party primary to the capitol riot — will not move the party forward.
Although doing so may please the small portion of the GOP that wants to see Trump officially repudiated, ultimately, it will only keep rallying the former president’s staunchest supporters while annoying the rest of us. Few Republicans regret supporting Trump over Joe Biden, even if they think it will be time for someone new in 2024.

--- End quote ---
------------------------------
What resonates from this sanctimonious blather is that politics is the compulsive & dominating obsession of the scribbling/yapping class (journalism) no matter the buffoon, be it Trump or
some other fraud and hustler. And that cold reality says everything about what we we have
become as a culture/society and what we value as a nation/state.
Down thru history, ideas fed achievements permitting Man to survive, then thrive; while leaving examples to future generations worthy of emulation.
Our first 5 included Jefferson, Madison and Monroe. Now contrast them to our last 5?
Yet our journo assholery wants to endlessly debate the merits of the latter???
Then many wonder why we are in our obvious decline!!!

Sled Dog:
Dear GOP,

Move on from the Spending Trump, keep the American Trump, and you won't offend one Trump voter, not one.

How's that for a plan?

Better yet, practive Trump Tweet.   It's a very effective method of pissing off the Rodents and helping Americans identify who's a real American and who's a closet Never Trumping Principled Conservative Panty Waist RINO crybaby.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version