Author Topic: Airlines could soon start weighing passengers before flights  (Read 945 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Airlines could soon start weighing passengers before flights
If a passenger declines to participate, the airline is advised to select another traveler at random, according to the guidance

By Jeanette Settembre FOXBusiness

Airline passengers may be required to step on the scale at the airport or share how much they weigh before boarding a flight, a new report suggests.

Data airlines use to measure passenger weight to ensure safety onboard planes may be outdated as the obesity rate in the U.S. increases. Now, air carriers may have to update average passenger weight, according to the airline blog View from the Wing, citing a circular advisory sent out by the Federal Aviation Administration.

Under the new pending requirements, reviewed by airline industry publication AirInsightGroup, airlines would be mandated to take surveys to set "standard average passenger weights" for crew members, baggage and passengers through random sampling and call on passengers to participate.

"Regardless of the sampling method used, an operator has the option of surveying each passenger and bag abroad the aircraft and should give a passenger the right to decline to participate in any passenger or weight survey," the guidance says, according to AirInsightGroup.

more
https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/airlines-could-soon-start-weighing-passengers-before-flights
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline rustynail

Re: Airlines could soon start weighing passengers before flights
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 06:14:36 pm »
Another fee opportunity?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 06:34:34 pm »
Another fee opportunity?
Of course. Probably a dollar for each pound over 200.  *****rollingeyes*****
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 06:44:52 pm »
Big discounts for crack-heads and meth-heads.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 06:53:52 pm »
Wait till Gov. Stacey Abrams finds out about this.

BassWrangler

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 06:59:43 pm »

Systemic racism!

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 07:11:25 pm »

888mouth     :silly:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2021, 07:22:43 pm »

Man, She'd be sweating like a fat girl waiting in line to pay the cashier at a "pay by your weight" smorgasbord diner.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 09:12:40 pm »
Another fee opportunity?

They shouldn't weigh the passengers.

They should require them to pass through a frame the same width as the aircraft's seats.   Think of it as a game of operation.  If they touch the sides and the buzzer goes off, they have to buy another seat because...they don't fit.

Why shouldn't fatties who take up two seats or more pay for using two seats or more?

The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline Sled Dog

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 09:13:27 pm »

How long will we have to wait before that cow gets elected?
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2021, 01:08:45 am »
How long will we have to wait before that cow gets elected?

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2021, 08:17:07 am »
Hopefully, that cow will never get elected.  She is an idiot.  Talking about Stacey Abrams.  Idiot on steroids.

However, I have spent a third of my life flying every week, and the idea of weighting passengers makes perfect sense.  We are talking about safety, and individual vanity matters for not.  That plane is engineered to take off with a max weight.  If the jet is overloaded, it could present problems. 

So, I fully support every passenger being weighed if it means safe travel.

What a lot of folks do not understand is that many flights are loaded up with parcel transported by air.  If the total weight is overload, then safety goes out the window.  Weighing passengers eliminates airlines from GUESSING what the weight is on the aircraft.  Common sense wins ALWAYS!!!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 08:18:19 am by jafo2010 »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2021, 12:16:17 pm »
What a lot of folks do not understand is that many flights are loaded up with parcel transported by air.  If the total weight is overload, then safety goes out the window.  Weighing passengers eliminates airlines from GUESSING what the weight is on the aircraft.  Common sense wins ALWAYS!!!
True enough. I've seen a few documentaries about plane crashes where uneven distribution of cargo/passenger weight contributed to the disaster.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2021, 05:15:08 pm »
Another thing that irks me, having flown millions of miles, is sitting next to someone big enough to take up a quarter of my seat.  These folks should be forced to buy a double ticket, or get a ticket in first class where seats are wider.  And last but not least, babies.  Any idea how many times I have had a kid throw up on me?  Too many times.

Offline Sled Dog

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2021, 05:15:43 pm »
True enough. I've seen a few documentaries about plane crashes where uneven distribution of cargo/passenger weight contributed to the disaster.

If the center of gravity shifts too far aft or too far forward the aircraft cannot compensate and cannot maintain steady level flight.   Then the terrain is plowed.

Bad stuff.

And even if the aircraft can take off and attain a level flight condition, the cg shifts when the fuel burns off and it may move outside the design envelope later.    This was a common problem with smaller aircraft in Alaska at one time.

Offline Sled Dog

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2021, 05:17:31 pm »
Another thing that irks me, having flown millions of miles, is sitting next to someone big enough to take up a quarter of my seat.  These folks should be forced to buy a double ticket, or get a ticket in first class where seats are wider.  And last but not least, babies.  Any idea how many times I have had a kid throw up on me?  Too many times.

Sure.  The argument that fatties paid for a ticket so they deserve to fly, from the anti-big-airline clowns, ignores the fact that the passenger the fatty is laying on has the same rights.