Author Topic: We Should Have Funded Coronavirus Research Instead of a Climate Change Musical.  (Read 135 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
We Should Have Funded Coronavirus Research Instead of a Climate Change Musical.
The National Science Foundation needs to re-order its grant-making priorities.
By Henry I. Miller, M.S., M.D.  |   May 14, 2021

I’ve been a science nerd all my adult life. As an undergraduate, I did research in a couple of university labs, and in grad school was the co-discoverer of a bacterial enzyme essential to DNA replication and of a key enzyme in the influenza virus. I have written more than a thousand articles concerned with science and technology and their regulation. I’m convinced that America’s prosperity is based on post-WWII preeminence in science and technology, much of it financed by federal funding.

You’d think, therefore, that I’d be thrilled to learn that the science committee of the U.S. House of Representatives wants to more than double the budget of the National Science Foundation (NSF) over the next five years, from $8.5 billion to $18.3 billion, and that the Senate is working on a companion bill. That is good news—or it would be, if we could be sure that increasing NSF’s budget wouldn’t maintain, or even expand, some of the dubious, wasteful pursuits funded by that government behemoth. However, at least as currently conceived by the Senate, the legislation will explicitly maintain NSF’s “unity of structure” and protect NSF’s existing programs.

And there’s the rub.

more
https://humanevents.com/2021/05/14/we-should-have-funded-coronavirus-research-instead-of-a-climate-change-musical/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Didn't the NSF/NIH step on the toes of the National Endowment for the Arts by funding a musical?

This could be the start of a bureaucratic turf war.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright