Author Topic: Lawmakers bicker over how to go after tax cheats  (Read 708 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Lawmakers bicker over how to go after tax cheats
« on: May 16, 2021, 03:49:24 pm »
Lawmakers bicker over how to go after tax cheats
By Naomi Jagoda - 05/16/21 11:00 AM EDT

Lawmakers are debating President Biden’s pitches to strengthen tax enforcement against high-income individuals and businesses as Congress considers different ways to pay for infrastructure legislation.

Democrats and Republicans both say they want to narrow the gap between taxes paid and the amount owed, suggesting that going after tax cheats could garner bipartisan support as a potential revenue stream.

But Republicans have become increasingly critical of the details in Biden’s proposal, a sign that hurdles remain to reaching an agreement on enforcement.

“We should pursue bipartisan measures to reduce the tax gap and better enforce our tax laws,” Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.), said at a Senate hearing last week. “But any such effort must strike an appropriate balance between taxpayer responsibilities and taxpayer rights.”

Biden has called for providing the IRS with an additional $80 billion over the next decade to ramp up enforcement, update technology and improve customer service at the agency. He has also proposed requiring banks to include new info on account activity in annual reports to the IRS so that the agency can better target its audits.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/finance/553704-lawmakers-bicker-over-how-to-go-after-tax-cheats
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
Re: Lawmakers bicker over how to go after tax cheats
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 06:19:37 pm »
Having problems writing a public law that would say "(D)'s exempt from taxation", are they?
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 06:37:26 pm »
Why do i get the impression that Biden's relentless massive spending was always intended to be followed ruthlessly by the excuse to viciously collect taxes from people, to oppress the overtaxed unemployed who cannot possibly pay ?  Communist oppress more than they cruelly rule, we see the beginnings of Communists rule here, complete with unending crisis-es and shortages.  Democrats did appoint czars in our government and ushered infiltrating jihad muslims into our government, didn't they! ?  Now you can better see why.
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 06:51:44 pm »
Maybe they should go after spend cheats - legislators who spend money they don't have.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 06:56:39 pm »
Having problems writing a public law that would say "(D)'s exempt from taxation", are they?
A good chunk of the D voter base already is exempt from taxes.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 05:42:19 am »
All nonsense!!!  End the IRS now!!!  Implement a Fair Tax on consumption, and end Income Tax altogether!!  No returns needed any longer!!!  No IRS either!!!

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 07:52:19 pm »
Are the lawmakers bickering because some of them are the biggest tax cheats in the nation?

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2021, 08:19:54 pm »

Start with an IRS audit of every member of Congress and their immediate blood, marriage, and legal relatives; an FEC audit of every Congress member's campaign accounts; and a Congressional Ethics audit of every Congress member's conflict of interest disclosures.

... let see what falls out those trees from the shaking.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 08:24:38 pm »
All nonsense!!!  End the IRS now!!!  Implement a Fair Tax on consumption, and end Income Tax altogether!!  No returns needed any longer!!!  No IRS either!!!

I'll take the IRS any day over the BATF(and everything else sold).
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 09:07:59 pm »

:yowsa:   :amen:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline dancer

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2021, 10:49:54 am »
How to go after tax cheats? 
This is amusing considering that so many Congressional members owe back taxes and have owed them for decades.
 :yowsa: