Author Topic: Don’t want to stop wearing your mask? Psychotherapist says they give a sense of security  (Read 1720 times)

Offline libertybele

I ran errands today and the signs mandating masks have finally come down.  That's a great feeling! I absolutely disagree with most of this article.  I want to see people's entire faces again, especially their smiles!! 

This false sense of security is just plain wrong.  Even my GP stated long ago that masks don't do a whole lot.  We have a nation going around with masks on that IMHO are causing more harm than good.  Try working 40 hours with a mask on; just think of all the germs sticking to your mask and on top of that you're repeatedly breathing in your own Co2.

Don’t want to stop wearing your mask? Psychotherapist says they give a sense of security

Although fully vaccinated people no longer have to wear face masks in many situations, the comforting qualities that mask-wearing offers some people may make them think twice before ditching their face coverings entirely.

“There is a way that the mask hides your feelings,” psychotherapist Kathryn Smerling said in an interview on CBSN. “It does give you the anonymous quality that often we want and we crave.”

Fully vaccinated people can now safely go maskless while participating in most indoor and outdoor activities, regardless of size, without social distancing or worrying about the vaccination status of others around them, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced Thursday. Masks are still required for air travel, mass transit, medical facilities and many businesses.

To date, more than one-third of all Americans have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19, the CDC reported. This week the CDC also expanded access to the Pfizer vaccine for young people aged 12 and up.

But Smerling said that after more than a year of living with pandemic protocols, many Americans have grown accustomed to wearing face masks. She predicts that the practice will last for a long time.

“The mask gives us a sense of security and makes us feel more comfortable,” Smerling said. “We can be a little bit more private and a little bit more selective in how we want to show our faces.”

She said some people appreciate that masks free them up from social niceties like smiling at others. Mask-wearing may also help reinforce a sense of community...............

https://www.winknews.com/2021/05/15/dont-want-to-stop-wearing-your-mask-psychotherapist-says-they-give-a-sense-of-security/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Skull

At least this way we can see others faces.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 11:57:38 pm by Skull »
Truth is against the stream of common thought, deep, subtle, difficult, delicate, unseen by passion’s slaves cloaked in the murk of ignorance. Vipassī Buddha

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Well, when you have government propaganda, in league with both the legacy and social media, constantly harping that masks work, even though the real-world evidence for it is incredibly weak, you will have a hard time deprogramming that message.

Let's remember how this whole mask mandate started. As Europe and NYC were starting to see the big outbreaks that inspired all those lockdowns, you weren't seeing those huge outbreaks in South Korea, Singapore, or really anywhere at all in the Eastern Hemisphere, even though in most cases (except Australia and New Zealand) they weren't imposing the harsh lockdowns they were in the West. (At the time, the outbreaks weren't happening in much of the U.S., either. But nobody really mentions that.) Some people noted that Asian cultures tend to wear masks when they are out and about and sick, so they assumed that the masks were why they were handling things better.

They did some tests. A few areas put in mask mandates and they noted that infection rates went down after they were imposed. And so the mask mandate ended up the way it was going to fix everything and allow us to resume function.

It didn't work out that way. It turned out the drop in transmission was driven by seasonal changes and the correlation between mask mandates and infection rates disappeared when they weren't imposed in April. City-by-city comparisons only showed very weak correlations that were overwhelmed by other environmental factors. Even in the fall when infection rates shot up again, even when South Korea saw substantial outbreaks and nearly lost control, the myth persisted.

I do worry about this coming fall. Even with the vaccine, the infection numbers where I live are coming down slower than last year, and are persistently higher than last year when they were practically nonexistent most of the summer. Obviously locking down again is not an option, but if the vaccine fails, they could try an even harder, longer lockdown and not let up until they reach zero (the New Zealand option).
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline The_Reader_David

Fezzik: Why do you wear a mask? Were you burned by acid, or something like that?

Westley: Oh no. It’s just they’re terribly comfortable. I think everyone will be wearing them in the future.

Yeah, the producer of the movie is an insufferable leftist git, but The Princess Bride is still a great movie -- as Senator Cruz, who can drop extended quotations from it for humorous effect with very little prompting, will also testify.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline DB

Far too many people have become dependent on experts because they don't understand how much of the world around them works. They can no longer think for themselves and can only appeal to authority. The more disconnected these people become from how things actual work the more they'll believe just about anything. If an "expert" says it is so they will not yield to even common sense.

Civilization has become unmoored from reality.

Offline libertybele

Well, when you have government propaganda, in league with both the legacy and social media, constantly harping that masks work, even though the real-world evidence for it is incredibly weak, you will have a hard time deprogramming that message.

Let's remember how this whole mask mandate started. As Europe and NYC were starting to see the big outbreaks that inspired all those lockdowns, you weren't seeing those huge outbreaks in South Korea, Singapore, or really anywhere at all in the Eastern Hemisphere, even though in most cases (except Australia and New Zealand) they weren't imposing the harsh lockdowns they were in the West. (At the time, the outbreaks weren't happening in much of the U.S., either. But nobody really mentions that.) Some people noted that Asian cultures tend to wear masks when they are out and about and sick, so they assumed that the masks were why they were handling things better.

They did some tests. A few areas put in mask mandates and they noted that infection rates went down after they were imposed. And so the mask mandate ended up the way it was going to fix everything and allow us to resume function.

It didn't work out that way. It turned out the drop in transmission was driven by seasonal changes and the correlation between mask mandates and infection rates disappeared when they weren't imposed in April. City-by-city comparisons only showed very weak correlations that were overwhelmed by other environmental factors. Even in the fall when infection rates shot up again, even when South Korea saw substantial outbreaks and nearly lost control, the myth persisted.

I do worry about this coming fall. Even with the vaccine, the infection numbers where I live are coming down slower than last year, and are persistently higher than last year when they were practically nonexistent most of the summer. Obviously locking down again is not an option, but if the vaccine fails, they could try an even harder, longer lockdown and not let up until they reach zero (the New Zealand option).

In FL we have an appx. total number of recorded  COVID cases of 2,289,522 with appx. 36,776 deaths.  According to stats, flu cases have been down. 

So far, considering that we have over 1,000 people moving into the state a day, I'm waiting for the numbers to escalate.

Back in October they stopped giving stats on those tested. Total number of people vaccinated in FL is appx. 9,538,000  out of a population of 21.48 million.  Our county has vaccinated 344,000 out of a population of 770,000, so about 45% of the county has been vaccinated.

There still is no evidence that those who have been vaccinated prevent transmission and they can still contract the virus.

You are correct; locking down was futile and keeping people indoors did more harm than good.

Signs for mandating masks are coming down, with hospitals still keeping those mandates. I still take precautions -- hand sanitizing, hand washing and I don't touch my face till I'm able to wash my hands! 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 01:02:14 am by libertybele »

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

Far too many people have become dependent on experts because they don't understand how much of the world around them works. They can no longer think for themselves and can only appeal to authority. The more disconnected these people become from how things actual work the more they'll believe just about anything. If an "expert" says it is so they will not yield to even common sense.

Civilization has become unmoored from reality.

People reacted and complied with different authoritarians and experts out of fear. Fear of dying. Fear of their loved ones dying. After awhile common sense and reality hit that we were grossly lied to. Some still don't recognize that reality.

Indeed the virus is real, but so is influenza, MRSA, Swine Flu, etc., and we sure as heck didn't shut down the entire country, force businesses to close and cause people to lose their jobs and go trillions of dollars into debt. The virus is real and the reality is it was inflicted upon us by design; some don't believe so.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
People reacted and complied with different authoritarians and experts out of fear. Fear of dying. Fear of their loved ones dying. After awhile common sense and reality hit that we were grossly lied to. Some still don't recognize that reality.

Indeed the virus is real, but so is influenza, MRSA, Swine Flu, etc., and we sure as heck didn't shut down the entire country, force businesses to close and cause people to lose their jobs and go trillions of dollars into debt. The virus is real and the reality is it was inflicted upon us by design; some don't believe so.
The timing of the virus is suspect, but I believe what was inflicted by design was the panic, fear, and control. Why else attack viable early onset treatments, cheap, off the shelf, and available other than to perpetuate the level of panic for political benefit, damn the economic results. With those treatments discredited and removed from play (it turns out unjustly so), then the panic could be perpetuated until a vaccine removed the cause for terror.

Unless you did your own math, researched the treatments in journals, and made up your own mind what your risk profile was, something difficult to do as the Faucis gained momentum and Big Tech started censoring information. I had time, and dug into a lot right away, some of it before it was censored.

Dr. Zelenko deserves a Nobel, I hope he gets one.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

I was being more general. Covid is just one of many.

Offline mountaineer

Anyone who gains a "sense of security" from a flimsy paper or porous cloth mask is just an idiot. The meme about putting up a chain link fence to keep out mosquitos really is a good analogy to wearing a mask to protect against the China flu.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Fezzik: Why do you wear a mask? Were you burned by acid, or something like that?

Westley: Oh no. It’s just they’re terribly comfortable. I think everyone will be wearing them in the future.

Yeah, the producer of the movie is an insufferable leftist git, but The Princess Bride is still a great movie -- as Senator Cruz, who can drop extended quotations from it for humorous effect with very little prompting, will also testify.

That must irritate the snot out of Meathead.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
The nimrods get more than a simple "sense of security from masking...with the help of big government and big media they get to virtue signal, and a license to bully others into compliance.  And yes, they made things much worse by the combination of forced ineffective masking and quarantining well people along with the sick.  A first-year Med student could have predicted the results.

@libertybele you said "Try working 40 hours with a mask on;"

I wore those paper ones for 6 years when I worked 48 hours a week in a wafer fab, before I transferred to a R&D group.  We wore them not to "block" the spread of germs, but to block spittle from getting on the semiconductor wafers.  It wasn't bad, but we learned to breathe around them, and they were effective for their intended purpose.  The use we saw over the past year is not the intended function for the "spit shields" (which is what they are really called).  Only one tiny piece of many of the lies we've been faced with for over a year.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Kamaji

If some pathetic little dweeb gets a sense of security from his face diaper, so be it, but leave me out of his sick little fetish.

The real problem isn't from those who, from whatever sad pathology, derive a sense of security from wearing one, it's from those fascists who only get a sense of security when they've forced everyone else to wear one as well.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 03:00:43 pm by Kamaji »