Author Topic: Seed Thoughts to Ponder  (Read 26918 times)

Offline Skull

Seed Thoughts to Ponder
« on: May 15, 2021, 06:55:16 pm »
The Imaginative Conservative site lays out ten such notions:

https://theimaginativeconservative.org/2021/05/ten-imaginative-conservative-questions-bradley-birzer.html

When Winston Elliott and I first started talking about what a proper online conservative journal might look like, way back in the spring and summer of 2010, we decided on a few things. Most importantly, we wanted real diversity of opinion, not the parroting of some ideological drudgeries. As such, we wanted all schools of non-ideological thought to be able to express their views, but we were most taken with the more traditionalist forms of conservatism—especially as represented by Irving Babbitt, Paul Elmer More, T.S. Eliot, Willa Cather, Russell Kirk, and Robert Nisbet.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 06:57:08 pm by Skull »
Truth is against the stream of common thought, deep, subtle, difficult, delicate, unseen by passion’s slaves cloaked in the murk of ignorance. Vipassī Buddha

Online corbe

Re: Seed Thoughts to Ponder
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 07:26:52 pm »
   Very Concise and Insightful.  Thanks for sharing @Skull
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 07:41:13 pm »
   Very Concise and Insightful.  Thanks for sharing @Skull
Yes it is. I had never heard anyone try to differentiate between nationalism and patriotism before. Not sure from whence the writer derived those definitions and I'm not sure I accept them, but it is good food for thought.

Offline Skull

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 09:00:19 pm »
Yes it is. I had never heard anyone try to differentiate between nationalism and patriotism before. Not sure from whence the writer derived those definitions and I'm not sure I accept them, but it is good food for thought.

Yes, Birzer's wording in the first clause is not clear, it sounds almost the same as the second.

To be nationalistic is to believe in one’s country no matter her faults; to be patriotic is to love one’s country, despite her faults.

I guess "no matter her faults" means to deny there are any and/or to explain them as virtues.

Truth is against the stream of common thought, deep, subtle, difficult, delicate, unseen by passion’s slaves cloaked in the murk of ignorance. Vipassī Buddha

Offline Absalom

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 09:22:43 pm »
The Imaginative Conservative site lays out ten such notions:
-------------------
Skull, worthy indeed, as imagination 'feeds' the Psyche (Soul).
Burke, Hume and others, added Precepts to Conservatism to give it structure and strength:

* Since Eden, the Family Unit of Father, Mother & Children remains the eternal bedrock of Civilization, of Culture, of Society and of the Nation/State.
* Custom and convention are hallmarks of stability within Society.
* The Principle of Prescription asserts precedent is superior to current whims.
* Prudence demands that decisions made in the now, be measured against their
consequences on the future.
* The Psyche (Soul) defines all Men as unequal, so variety has to encourage
creativity and innovation.
* As Man is not perfectible, tolerance must be promoted.
* Personal freedom and private property are intertwined as well as catalysts of individual responsibility.
* Communal voluntarism is inherently superior to the destructive impact of collective
non-voluntarism.
* To survive and thrive, the coercive impulse within governance must be defeated.
* To maintain Nation/State stability, change and permanence must be reconciled.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 12:33:04 am by Absalom »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 12:11:22 am »
Yes, Birzer's wording in the first clause is not clear, it sounds almost the same as the second.

I guess "no matter her faults" means to deny there are any and/or to explain them as virtues.
and neither you nor I know anyone who would attempt such rationalization.

Offline Skull

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 02:30:47 am »
and neither you nor I know anyone who would attempt such rationalization.

Birzer explains in the comments section over at IC:

I could’ve worded this better. But, yes, I was thinking in terms of exactly what you suggest in the second paragraph. I meant that nationalism can be a cover for our sins, whereas patriotism is a recognition of our virtues as well as our sins.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 08:57:17 pm »
"When Winston Elliott and I first started talking about what a proper online conservative journal might look like..."

:2popcorn:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: