Author Topic: L.A. City Council Committee Approves Mike Bonin Proposal to Study Homeless Shelters at Beaches  (Read 1001 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
L.A. City Council Committee Approves Mike Bonin Proposal to Study Homeless Shelters at Beaches

Joel B. Pollak 13 May 2021

The Los Angeles City Council’s Homeless and Poverty Committee voted 4-1 Thursday to authorize a study for a controversial proposal by Councilmember Mike Bonin to build temporary shelters for the homeless at local beaches, among other sites.

As Breitbart News reported last month:

Los Angeles City Council member Mike Bonin has proposed sheltering the city’s growing homeless populations in facilities at local beaches on the Pacific Ocean, provoking the ire of local residents who rely on the beaches for recreation.

Touting what he calls an “everything in” approach to homelessness, Bonin posted his plan last week, which includes a motion to study a “temporary site for single-occupancy tiny homes or safe camping at the county-owned parking lot at Will Rogers State Beach” in Pacific Palisades; similar sites at Dockweiler Beach in Playa Del Rey and Fisheran’s Village in Marina Del Rey; and a “temporary site specifically for RV safe parking at the county-owned parking lot” at Dockweiler.

Bonin includes suggestions for several additional sites on the west side of Los Angeles. His motion does not address the environmental impact of homeless encampments on public beaches, including sewage, drug use, crime, or other problems.

The county’s beaches have been one of the few refuges for local residents during the coronavirus pandemic, when other recreation sites were closed or restricted. The city council used public recreation centers as temporary homeless shelters.

Many local residents were furious.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/05/13/l-a-city-council-committee-approves-mike-bonin-proposal-to-study-homeless-shelters-at-beaches/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Bonin helped exacerbate the problem and now he's rushing in to solve it.

The folks who voted him in are doing nothing to get rid of him...they bitch, moan and whine, but still do nothing.

CA politics at it's "best". 
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline PeteS in CA

I have some running friends in one of those areas who regularly use the beach areas for their run workouts. They're in the Prog--Very-Prog range (not Insanely-Prog). It's tempting to ask them about this proposal, but that would probably be poking @#$% excessively.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

What about golf courses, country clubs, and polo clubs?  Maybe they'd benefit from using the swimming pools and playing golf.

The problem with beaches is there's less real estate at high tide.

Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Homeless housed on the beaches.  I'm sure they will all be, I mean like chillin, so many positive waves...

They all will be drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know.

Woof Woof.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline skeeter

What about golf courses, country clubs, and polo clubs?  Maybe they'd benefit from using the swimming pools and playing golf.

The problem with beaches is there's less real estate at high tide.
Or more real estate at high tide, depending upon which side of the shoreline we’re talking about placing the shelters.

I’ve always been an optimist.

Offline mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DefiantMassRINO

The only way this makes sense is ... maybe this part of larger real estate development scheme to lower property values near the beach, so they can be purchased at a steep discount.  Once the developers have all the lots they need, the homeless beach camps disappear, the property values increase again, and the developers reap huge profits.

The only hope humanity has is that someone finds a piping plover nest on the beach so it can be declared a protected site.
Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline PeteS in CA

I'm sure all the used needles, bum crap & urine, derelict mattresses & "furniture", and other detritus will do wonders to encourage surfing, beach volleyball, and beach running events!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.