Author Topic: Stefanik shake-up jump-starts early jockeying for committee posts  (Read 147 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Stefanik shake-up jump-starts early jockeying for committee posts
By Scott Wong - 05/13/21 04:28 PM EDT

Rep. Elise Stefanik (R-N.Y.) is signaling she may only serve as GOP Conference chair for the next year and a half, then leave the job to run to lead the Education and Labor Committee.

But to execute that plan, the ambitious 36-year-old millennial congresswoman would have to leapfrog over several colleagues with more seniority. While Rep. Joe Wilson (R-S.C.) told The Hill that Stefanik has his full-throated endorsement to lead the education panel, at least two other more senior GOP members — Reps. Tim Walberg (Mich.) and Glenn Grothman (Wis.) — say they may put up a fight.

“I love that committee. I’ve been chairman of two subcommittees, so we would certainly have to look at it,” Walberg, 70, told The Hill. “I don’t know if she’s running for it either. … I’m more senior, you bet I am. And we’ve taken tougher votes.”

Grothman seemed less bullish about launching a bid for the top spot on the panel but said it’s too soon to rule it out.

“Education is going to be a very important committee in the future because of the leftward tilt of the universities and K-12, and it’s going to be very interesting who the chairman is,” Grothman, 65, told The Hill.

“I won’t close the door,” he said, “but it’s a long way off.”

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/553435-stefanik-shakeup-jumpstarts-early-jockeying-for-committee-posts
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34