General Category > Economy/Business

McDonald’s Boosting Average U.S. Wages to $17 an Hour to Recruit Workers

(1/3) > >>

mystery-ak:
McDonald’s Boosting Average U.S. Wages to $17 an Hour to Recruit Workers

John Binder 13 May 2021

The billion-dollar fast food chain McDonald’s announced that it will boost its United States wages to $17 an hour to recruit workers for positions at its company-owned locations across the country.

McDonald’s executives said this week they will increase hourly wages for current workers by an average of 10 percent at its 650 company-owned locations while increasing its wages for new recruits from $11 to $17 an hour. On average, employee wages would increase to $13 an hour and up to $15 an hour later in the year.

The wage increases, McDonald’s executives said, is an effort to bring 10,000 new employees on board over the next three months. By 2024, McDonald’s executives said they expect all company-owned locations to have average hourly wages set at $15 an hour.

The move comes as employers seek to get millions of Americans back in the workforce. Currently, about 16.4 million Americans are jobless but all want full-time jobs. Of the 9.8 million Americans considered unemployed, about 12.3 percent are teenagers — those most likely to compete for entry-level service industry jobs.

Another 5.2 million Americans are underemployed.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/economy/2021/05/13/mcdonalds-boosting-average-us-wages-17-hour-recruit-workers/

GtHawk:
Wow! Now let's see 93% of MickeyD's are franchise, approximately 14 - 15,000 and somewhere around 2100 corporate owned(so really not such a big deal) because there really isn't money to be made by the corporation owning and running it's own stores. Let's see how successful they are in demanding franchisee's pay that wage on top of corporate licensing, base rent, other fees such as marketing and percentage of gross all on top of dwindling sales.

We will be seeing an vastly accelerated advance to robotic cooking, assembly and packaging along with non human POS. Where oh where will all the illiterate and uneducated illegals work? And what will be left and where will the entry level jobs for our teenagers be to learn the social skills to be employable?

jmyrlefuller:
"Experience required" "Must have or be pursuing a college degree"

The entry level has been shrinking for years and is on the verge of vanishing. Lately I've seen self-checkout start to show up at Dollar General stores, another bastion where you can get an entry-level job almost anywhere.

Any time you see this kind of promise, you can bet it's about to get harder to actually land one of these jobs, and burger flipping already has a bad enough reputation as it is.

mountaineer:
I don't love anything on McD's menu enough to pay twice as much for it.

libertybele:

--- Quote from: mountaineer on May 14, 2021, 10:40:34 pm ---I don't love anything on McD's menu enough to pay twice as much for it.

--- End quote ---

Definitely not.  My daughter and I had a burger with my grandson at a McD 's about 3 years ago. She spent several trips to the bathroom upchucking and I had gastrointestinal problems; we've never eaten at a McD's since...$17 an hr ?? ..so...when McD's goes bellyup because no one wants to pay $15 or more for one of their God awful burgers, that'll start sending some shockwaves. 

People thinking that higher wages is the answer are either STUPID or IGNORANT or both!!

How about people actually start earning wages for the job that they do (now that's a no brainer) and get back to working for a living rather than sitting back expecting big bucks for flipping burgers and dumping fries in a fryer or sitting on their butts collecting unemployment because they now expect that they should get paid more to return to work!   

This ranks as one of my top pet peeves!

Maybe a poll for @corbe -- (I think we may have had something similar long ago?)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version