Author Topic: McDonald’s Boosting Average U.S. Wages to $17 an Hour to Recruit Workers  (Read 2662 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
McDonald’s Boosting Average U.S. Wages to $17 an Hour to Recruit Workers

John Binder 13 May 2021

The billion-dollar fast food chain McDonald’s announced that it will boost its United States wages to $17 an hour to recruit workers for positions at its company-owned locations across the country.

McDonald’s executives said this week they will increase hourly wages for current workers by an average of 10 percent at its 650 company-owned locations while increasing its wages for new recruits from $11 to $17 an hour. On average, employee wages would increase to $13 an hour and up to $15 an hour later in the year.

The wage increases, McDonald’s executives said, is an effort to bring 10,000 new employees on board over the next three months. By 2024, McDonald’s executives said they expect all company-owned locations to have average hourly wages set at $15 an hour.

The move comes as employers seek to get millions of Americans back in the workforce. Currently, about 16.4 million Americans are jobless but all want full-time jobs. Of the 9.8 million Americans considered unemployed, about 12.3 percent are teenagers — those most likely to compete for entry-level service industry jobs.

Another 5.2 million Americans are underemployed.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/economy/2021/05/13/mcdonalds-boosting-average-us-wages-17-hour-recruit-workers/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Wow! Now let's see 93% of MickeyD's are franchise, approximately 14 - 15,000 and somewhere around 2100 corporate owned(so really not such a big deal) because there really isn't money to be made by the corporation owning and running it's own stores. Let's see how successful they are in demanding franchisee's pay that wage on top of corporate licensing, base rent, other fees such as marketing and percentage of gross all on top of dwindling sales.

We will be seeing an vastly accelerated advance to robotic cooking, assembly and packaging along with non human POS. Where oh where will all the illiterate and uneducated illegals work? And what will be left and where will the entry level jobs for our teenagers be to learn the social skills to be employable?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 11:36:56 pm by GtHawk »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
"Experience required" "Must have or be pursuing a college degree"

The entry level has been shrinking for years and is on the verge of vanishing. Lately I've seen self-checkout start to show up at Dollar General stores, another bastion where you can get an entry-level job almost anywhere.

Any time you see this kind of promise, you can bet it's about to get harder to actually land one of these jobs, and burger flipping already has a bad enough reputation as it is.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mountaineer

I don't love anything on McD's menu enough to pay twice as much for it.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

Definitely not.  My daughter and I had a burger with my grandson at a McD 's about 3 years ago. She spent several trips to the bathroom upchucking and I had gastrointestinal problems; we've never eaten at a McD's since...$17 an hr ?? ..so...when McD's goes bellyup because no one wants to pay $15 or more for one of their God awful burgers, that'll start sending some shockwaves. 

People thinking that higher wages is the answer are either STUPID or IGNORANT or both!!

How about people actually start earning wages for the job that they do (now that's a no brainer) and get back to working for a living rather than sitting back expecting big bucks for flipping burgers and dumping fries in a fryer or sitting on their butts collecting unemployment because they now expect that they should get paid more to return to work!   

This ranks as one of my top pet peeves!

Maybe a poll for @corbe -- (I think we may have had something similar long ago?)
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mountaineer

The only fast food burger that ever sickened me was from White Castle. One bite, and I immediately had a splitting headache. Thought it was just a fluke, so quite a while later I tried another one, with the exact same effect. The thing is, when we're traveling, Mr. M always wants to take a break and stop at McD's, where he can get two of the little burgers, plain, with a small fries. I always stand there looking at the menu in desperation. Nothing. Bupkes. I usually end up just getting a soft drink.

Offline libertybele

The only fast food burger that ever sickened me was from White Castle. One bite, and I immediately had a splitting headache. Thought it was just a fluke, so quite a while later I tried another one, with the exact same effect. The thing is, when we're traveling, Mr. M always wants to take a break and stop at McD's, where he can get two of the little burgers, plain, with a small fries. I always stand there looking at the menu in desperation. Nothing. Bupkes. I usually end up just getting a soft drink.

Well, if it's any consolation to you, when the grands wanted to stop at McD's, I opted for one of their oatmeal cookies and bottled water.  Soft drinks ... not so much ... around here we get that chlorine after taste.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
The last thing I used to eat from the McD's menu was their steak, egg and cheese bagel. They removed it from the menu last year and at least around here, it has never come back.

Nothing about their lunch or dinner menu appeals to me. The Chicken McNuggets are kids' food. They put onions in their ketchup, which tastes absolutely rancid to me (and I stopped eating ketchup for years as a kid because of it, never realizing it until adulthood when my brother, who apparently loves onions in his ketchup, remarked to me why he loves McDonald's hamburgers). They had a "signature crafted" line of sandwiches that I liked but are discontinued now as well.

A couple of weeks ago I was on an errand run at work and stopped at a McDonald's on my way back. I found nothing I wanted to eat and ended up going next door to the convenience store.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline libertybele

How long before Wendy's, Burger King and others follow suit?  No way will I pay double.

This is going to affect individual restaurants that are of higher quality as well.

In the long run this will tank the economy, force businesses to close and people will find themselves back on unemployment.  9999hair out0000

Online mountaineer

Exactly the plan, Libertybele.  **nononono*

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
The last thing I used to eat from the McD's menu was their steak, egg and cheese bagel. They removed it from the menu last year and at least around here, it has never come back.

Nothing about their lunch or dinner menu appeals to me. The Chicken McNuggets are kids' food. They put onions in their ketchup, which tastes absolutely rancid to me (and I stopped eating ketchup for years as a kid because of it, never realizing it until adulthood when my brother, who apparently loves onions in his ketchup, remarked to me why he loves McDonald's hamburgers). They had a "signature crafted" line of sandwiches that I liked but are discontinued now as well.

A couple of weeks ago I was on an errand run at work and stopped at a McDonald's on my way back. I found nothing I wanted to eat and ended up going next door to the convenience store.
MickeyD's has don some reprehensible things just prior to and after I left decades ago but after Heinz stopped supplying them in the 70's and Golden State Foods on the West coast, not sure about Midwest and East, took over manufacturing their ketchup they used the same ingredients as Heinz.......which included onion and garlic. I worked 5-7 days a week and ate there , well because I had no choice, and I never noticed any real difference between Heinz and McD's in house supplier. Of course YMMV and if your taste buds tell you that it changed that's all that matters.

I myself don't order anything on the lunch/dinner menu other than the Filet-O-Fish and fries because they are the only thing their cooking/holding and assembly procedures haven't screwed up, just like Carl's and Barfer King. If I want a great burger at a reasonable price around me I go to In-N-Out or find a Mom and Pop which is next to impossible any more.

Online mountaineer

Mr. M and I have a favorite restaurant about a half hour's drive from here. They make their own beer and serve tasty sandwiches, pizza and the like, as well as a Sunday brunch. Today, they posted this notice on their Facebook page:
Today open for Brunch 11a-3p and Beer til 8p.

As you know the restaurant industry is struggling to find staff, especially cooks. We are no different.  We have done everything to ensure that we have been able to operate normal hours to this point. Unfortunately today we just don't have enough staff to operate the kitchen the entire day.

It is sad. We work so hard to make our guests happy, and while we are not perfect we work towards perfection every day. Jamie and her amazing team do an amazing job. There simply is not enough of them.

Our last 7 scheduled interviews didn't even show up. The last 2 cooks we hired never even showed up for their first day of work.
On behalf of John, Angela and myself (Bubba) we are sorry. We are doing everything we can.

Since brunch has been a hit, we will open today for Brunch from 11a-3p. John will be in the building from 3p-8p running the bar. So if you wanna drink beer with the Brewer....today is that day!

Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Grrr. So frustrating. No wants to work, not when Uncle Sugar is doling out money for nothing.