Author Topic: Joe Manchin Spikes the Democrats' Dreams of Grabbing Voting Power  (Read 385 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Joe Manchin Spikes the Democrats' Dreams of Grabbing Voting Power
By Nick Arama | May 13, 2021 2:45 PM ET

Being a skeptic, I’ve generally encouraged people not to rely upon Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) doing the right thing for us to be able to save the Republic from the Democrats’ overheated drive for power.

But I have to say that his words now appear to put a spike through those ambitions, at least in regards to their radical voting reform bill.

According to ABC, the Senate had an hours-long discussion about SB1, the Senate’s version of the Democrats’ HR1. It was so contentious, it deadlocked in the Rules Committee, indicating that it likely wouldn’t even be approved out of the Committee. It would need 60 votes to pass in a general Senate vote.

But Manchin indicated that it was effectively dead anyway because he would not support it.

“No matter what was brought up it was a partisan vote, 9-9,” Manchin said. “This is one of the most — I think — important things that we can do to try to bring our country back together and if we do it in a partisan way, it’s not going to be successful I believe.”

Manchin said he was talking with Republicans about the much narrower John Lewis Voting Rights Act that he, Manchin, supports that’s not as far-reaching or the power grab that SB1/HR 1 was to basically federalize elections. According to ABC, “the bill implements a federal process for reviewing changes to voting rules in any jurisdiction nationwide, with an eye toward measures that are historically discriminatory.”

more
https://redstate.com/nick-arama/2021/05/13/joe-manchin-spikes-the-democrats-dreams-of-grabbing-voting-power-n379602
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Joe Manchin Spikes the Democrats' Dreams of Grabbing Voting Power
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 06:55:12 pm »
I still think he will cave...the rats just haven't offered him what he wants yet..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 07:59:13 pm »
All they need then is to get Traitor Mitt to sign up.

Shouldn't be too hard.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 08:01:31 pm »
I still think he will cave...the rats just haven't offered him what he wants yet..

Agreed.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 08:06:38 pm »
Sadly I believe you are right. He hasn’t let Schumer down yet.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 10:36:01 pm »
Krysten Sinema has also said she'd stand against the power grab.

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 11:44:52 pm »
Krysten Sinema has also said she'd stand against the power grab.

So they need Murkowski, too.

And both Murky and Mittens are frothing at the bit to gut any chance of the Americans ever ending the Rodent Coup.

And I bet the two of them combined would be cheaper than Manchin.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 11:46:04 pm by Sled Dog »
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.