Author Topic: Federal Government Warns Americans Not to Fill Plastic Bags with Gas During Fuel Shortage  (Read 3113 times)

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
DC wrote:
"Heard Colonial Pipeline will be back up within a week's time.  That means that SOMEBODY paid the ransom."

If Colonial had been running their operation on Macs, this would never have happened.

There's been only one instance of Mac "ransomware" that I know of, and it was hidden in a piece of non-commercial software and was discovered and "rectified" quickly...

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
DC wrote:
"Heard Colonial Pipeline will be back up within a week's time.  That means that SOMEBODY paid the ransom."

If Colonial had been running their operation on Macs, this would never have happened.

There's been only one instance of Mac "ransomware" that I know of, and it was hidden in a piece of non-commercial software and was discovered and "rectified" quickly...

Just discussing elsewhere...

Why wouldn't a major company with National Security implications not have duplicate back up servers that can merely copy all data from The Cloud going back to BEFORE the damned hack?

Consider myself lucky when I can figure out how to connect my sound system or cable.  Don't know anything about computers.  DON'T WANT TO!!

:laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline roamer_1

Heard Colonial Pipeline will be back up within a week's time.  That means that SOMEBODY paid the ransom.

@DCPatriot
Well no...

I dunno nothing about critical data in that field - But most control machinery doesn't change much and is very probably imaged. I know if it were me I would have those systems imaged... So literally, 20 minutes to bring a box back up to operational. That'd be the lion's share of it.

If they had to pay, their IT department needs to die.

You could completely trash my system and I would have all 9 (or so) machines back up and running pretty much in a half day. At least back to operational.

My big data is backed up off-site and here, air-gapped. My intermediate data is backed up off site and here, air-gapped. That brings me through the 1st QTR 2021... All of that cannot be harmed.

All I really need to worry about is volatile critical data... which is backed to the web daily, is on two laptops, and two desktops - Not all of which are likely to be on at the same time, and it is backed manually to an otherwise air-gapped USB drive from either my laptop or my desktop every night before I shut down.

The place could literally burn to the ground, and other than hardware, I wouldn't lose a single dang thing. Heck, now that our server is down in Costa Rica, the friggin US could burn down and I would still be fine.  And I am a one-horse, small potatoes guy.

Corporate IT should be well advanced of me.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 02:00:18 am by roamer_1 »

Online DCPatriot

Well no...

I dunno nothing about critical data in that field - But most control machinery doesn't change much and is very probably imaged. I know if it were me I would have those systems imaged... So literally, 20 minutes to bring a box back up to operational. That'd be the lion's share of it.

You could completely trash my system and I would have all 9 (or so) machines back up and running pretty much in a half day. At least back to operational.

My big data is backed up off-site and here, air-gapped. My intermediate data is backed up off site and here, air-gapped. That brings me through the 1st QTR 2021... All of that cannot be harmed.

All I really need to worry about is volatile critical data... which is backed to the web daily, is on two laptops, and two desktops - Not all of which are likely to be on at the same time, and it is backed manually to an otherwise air-gapped USB drive from either my laptop or my desktop every night before I shut down.

The place could literally burn to the ground, and other than hardware, I wouldn't lose a single dang thing. Heck, now that our server is down in Costa Rica, the friggin US could burn down and I would still be fine.  And I am a one-horse, small potatoes guy.

@roamer_1

God luv ya!  Thanks for explaining that to us! 

I could have so much fun taking this thread on an amusement park ride. Active imagination.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We're talking "Treadstone" crap.  Off The Books shit.  Three Days of the Condor.

There were no 'Russian' hackers.  They're contractors for our own CIA and FBI and NSA 

Built and maintained by Barack Hussein Obama & friends.  And they might already be dead.

The ransom was paid and somebody walks away with the $$$.

More importantly, on the heels of a year plus of face mask mandates and virtually no fraternizing, experiencing hours long gas lines is going to eventually make some white person somewhere go Michael Douglas' "Falling Down" on somebody.

...which adds fuel to any assertion that white people need to be 'watched'

See?

:2popcorn: :2popcorn:

« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 02:11:17 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline roamer_1

@roamer_1

I could have so much fun taking this thread on an amusement park ride. Active imagination.

We're talking "Treadstone" crap.  Off The Books shit.  Three Days of the Condor.

There were no 'Russian' hackers.  They're contractors for our own CIA and FBI and NSA 

Built and maintained by Barack Hussein Obama & friends.  And they might already be dead.

More importantly, on the heels of a year plus of face mask mandates and virtually no fraternizing, experiencing hours long gas lines is going to eventually make some white person somewhere go Michael Douglas' "Falling Down" on somebody.

See?

@DCPatriot

Woah... D00d.   :pondering: :laugh: :beer:

Online DB

@DCPatriot
Well no...

I don't know the details of this particular incident but it could be once there's a major disruption over such a long distance of pipeline that it takes quite awhile to get it back up again in a long chain of steps that have to be completed. So it is possible that the actual computer outage didn't last very long (I don't know) but the process of getting the pipeline back up again was long and tedious.

Offline roamer_1

I don't know the details of this particular incident but it could be once there's a major disruption over such a long distance of pipeline that it takes quite awhile to get it back up again in a long chain of steps that have to be completed. So it is possible that the actual computer outage didn't last very long (I don't know) but the process of getting the pipeline back up again was long and tedious.

They're saying the pipe ain't the thing anymore... It's the panic buying. I dunno neither.  :shrug:

But how the heck anyone gets caught by ransomware is entirely beyond me.

Online DB

They're saying the pipe ain't the thing anymore... It's the panic buying. I dunno neither.  :shrug:

But how the heck anyone gets caught by ransomware is entirely beyond me.

Our company uses Dropbox Teams where a number of computers, primarily for engineering, share files. I have to believe that if one of those computers got snagged by ransomware it would quickly spread to all the others but I believe it should be limited to just the Dropbox folders. And the computers are regularly backed up and the whole thing reversed pretty easily even if pretty annoying.

It would seem to take some pretty serious IT incompetence to get a significant part of your company's data encrypted by ransomware and not be able to recover it quickly.

Offline roamer_1

Our company uses Dropbox Teams where a number of computers, primarily for engineering, share files. I have to believe that if one of those computers got snagged by ransomware it would quickly spread to all the others but I believe it should be limited to just the Dropbox folders. And the computers are regularly backed up and the whole thing reversed pretty easily even if pretty annoying.

It would seem to take some pretty serious IT incompetence to get a significant part of your company's data encrypted by ransomware and not be able to recover it quickly.

And many of the variants have a cure too. I would knee-jerk have to hack it, but I would never need to worry for it, as with my setup it would be better to just reload from image and blow the data back on. Yeah, it would suck, but not very much.

Offline thackney

@roamer_1
@Elderberry
@Bigun

Thank you for the info.

Roamer, are you concerned with punctures with this style of tank?

Like all my purchase concerns, cost reigns over all but safety.  It is only temp storage.  I know gasoline degrades rather quickly with oxygen present and I won't be filling a tote full because of weight limits.  I would get 100~120 gallons with approaching hurricane, then feed it to our trucks if we didn't need the generator.  This will not be for long term storage.

It will be out of the sunlight in the same 3 sided shed the generator sits (26 ft wall open, only 12 ft deep) so good air flow for venting.  I think I will add a filter/drain cup to the line with a 20 ft hose and dispensing nozzle.

The liner and the 2" ball valve are rated for use with petrochemicals.  Sunlight UV inhibiting compounds are included in the plastic tote.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 12:21:39 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline roamer_1

Roamer, are you concerned with punctures with this style of tank?

Like all my purchase concerns, cost reigns over all but safety.  It is only temp storage.  I know gasoline degrades rather quickly with oxygen present and I won't be filling a tote full because of weight limits.  I would get 100~120 gallons with approaching hurricane, then feed it to our trucks if we didn't need the generator.  This will not be for long term storage.

It will be out of the sunlight in the same 3 sided shed the generator sits (26 ft wall open, only 12 ft deep) so good air flow for venting.  I think I will add a filter/drain cup to the line with a 20 ft hose and dispensing nozzle.

The liner and the 2" ball valve are rated for use with petrochemicals.  Sunlight UV inhibiting compounds are included in the plastic tote.

@thackney

No, that was just a passing thought on what might be different between a standard and fuel rated tank, since poly seems to be poly... I thought fuel rated might be higher density or thickness.  :shrug:

To be frank, I don't see the percentage in this course.
The large size without being able to use the capacity, the huge air space in the tank... having to rig a means to pump out...

Seems a standard fuel transfer tank would be the peach. More compact, steel construction improves fuel longevity, Standardized pump systems... And the ability to be used otherwise (as an actual transfer tank in a pickup).

I bought mine used for a couple hundred bucks, though mine is only worth 70 gals. Rebuild costs were nominal, except for the electric pump and filters. I would imagine they are around by you used too...

So why not the tool for the job?

No offense meant, jussayin.

Offline thackney

@thackney

No, that was just a passing thought on what might be different between a standard and fuel rated tank, since poly seems to be poly... I thought fuel rated might be higher density or thickness.  :shrug:

To be frank, I don't see the percentage in this course.
The large size without being able to use the capacity, the huge air space in the tank... having to rig a means to pump out...

I already own the fork lift to move it.  And I will set it on a raised stand for gravity flow.

Seems a standard fuel transfer tank would be the peach. More compact, steel construction improves fuel longevity, Standardized pump systems... And the ability to be used otherwise (as an actual transfer tank in a pickup).

Maybe triple the cost?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/catalog/fuel-transfer-tanks

I bought mine used for a couple hundred bucks, though mine is only worth 70 gals. Rebuild costs were nominal, except for the electric pump and filters. I would imagine they are around by you used too...

So why not the tool for the job?

No offense meant, jussayin.

Absolutely no offense.  I posted here to learn reasons not to do this.  I value the feedback greatly.

I don't like depending on the electric fuel pump for an emergency situation, which is the only purpose for the whole set up.

- - - - -

edit: For whatever it may be worth, I found a site that specializes in these totes selling them as on option for oil and gas use.

https://www.ibctanks.com/oil-gas?orderby=price&paged=1
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 01:01:06 pm by thackney »

Offline roamer_1

Maybe triple the cost?

Ah, well there is that... I would not be shopping for new myself.  :shrug:

I don't like depending on the electric fuel pump for an emergency situation, which is the only purpose for the whole set up.

I am fighting with that myself generally. Switching out my go-bag for more electronic stuff - A commitment to solar and power bricks, and re-gearing for overlanding opens a brave new world.

Still rubs me wrong. I am a minimalist in the woods, and always have been. But, at least for now, I ain't getting too far from the truck, so I might as well expand into the possibilities the truck and all it's extra cartage offers.

And since my transfer tank is in the truck, the convenience of an electric pump is a no-brainer. I use it all the time and it is a pleasure to throw the nozzle in a tractor or something and just walk away - automatic shutoff is the whole deal there. Hands-off.
Of course, that does not mean I won't keep a manual pump handle around, just for giggles.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 01:25:57 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline thackney

@roamer_1

Again thanks for the discussion, it helps me think through the contingencies and what planning and allowances need to be made.

I would have to have a manual pump as back up if I did that.  No way I am going to have this big butt generator, 100 gallons of fuel and have my pump die while I have no power. 

And this would tie my truck to getting to the generator several times a day to refuel.  This is the back side of the garage and lower than the house floor.  I could be lightly flooded and still want the generator to run.

The generator will be raised 18 inches for this reason, the fuel system raised to be above that, maybe 3~4 feet would gravity flow into the fuel tank.

Whether truck or tote, I need to beef up the gravel access for possible underwater stability.  I would hate to have a six inch flood make it too soupy to get gas to the generator.  Tractors better than truck for this but moving a half ton tote will need better base than I have now in that shed.

Thanks again, still leaning towards the tote but I am going to look a bit for used fuel transfer tanks.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

@Right_in_Virginia

Here we go,...right?

Heard Colonial Pipeline will be back up within a week's time.  That means that SOMEBODY paid the ransom.

My guess is the Administration paid it out of the latest 'Infrastructure' heist.  Because the last thing they need right now is to interrupt their racial dividing.

Link to article:  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-13/colonial-pipeline-paid-hackers-nearly-5-million-in-ransom

https://twitter.com/WilliamTurton/status/1392847175693049865

@DCPatriot

Offline roamer_1

@roamer_1

Again thanks for the discussion, it helps me think through the contingencies and what planning and allowances need to be made.

I would have to have a manual pump as back up if I did that.  No way I am going to have this big butt generator, 100 gallons of fuel and have my pump die while I have no power. 

And this would tie my truck to getting to the generator several times a day to refuel.  This is the back side of the garage and lower than the house floor.  I could be lightly flooded and still want the generator to run.

The generator will be raised 18 inches for this reason, the fuel system raised to be above that, maybe 3~4 feet would gravity flow into the fuel tank.

Whether truck or tote, I need to beef up the gravel access for possible underwater stability.  I would hate to have a six inch flood make it too soupy to get gas to the generator.  Tractors better than truck for this but moving a half ton tote will need better base than I have now in that shed.

Thanks again, still leaning towards the tote but I am going to look a bit for used fuel transfer tanks.

Ahh, I see now - A dedicated fuel source for the jenny is a much different scenario than mere storage.
Here, I'll throw another monkey wrench into your thinking...

Have you thought of converting the jenny to propane?
It stores indefinitely, is much easier to manage as a stored unit, is feasibly always ready - even to the point of power fail-over, and with a big enough fuel cell, could also be emergency heat and cooking, etc., self-contained, and fairly invulnerable.

In our recent power failure, I decided to commit in that direction.

Offline thackney

Ahh, I see now - A dedicated fuel source for the jenny is a much different scenario than mere storage.
Here, I'll throw another monkey wrench into your thinking...

Have you thought of converting the jenny to propane?
It stores indefinitely, is much easier to manage as a stored unit, is feasibly always ready - even to the point of power fail-over, and with a big enough fuel cell, could also be emergency heat and cooking, etc., self-contained, and fairly invulnerable.

In our recent power failure, I decided to commit in that direction.

Yes dual fuel using propane was my original plan and still a long term planned add-on.  I have a 250 gallon propane tank that is only used for the kitchen stove (so far).  I found a reconditioned generator as big as I wanted with warranty and price break that convinced me to buy gasoline only for now.  Propane is good but in our hurricane prone areas getting the refill during the emergency has a lot less options than gasoline, in spite of gasoline possible supply issues.

The propane lines are on the wrong side of the house.  I need about 100 ft of line, mostly buried deep enough not to hit, and move the existing regulator, buy a second regulator to keep the lines at decent pressure while running.

Offline roamer_1

Yes dual fuel using propane was my original plan and still a long term planned add-on.  I have a 250 gallon propane tank that is only used for the kitchen stove (so far).  I found a reconditioned generator as big as I wanted with warranty and price break that convinced me to buy gasoline only for now.  Propane is good but in our hurricane prone areas getting the refill during the emergency has a lot less options than gasoline, in spite of gasoline possible supply issues.

The propane lines are on the wrong side of the house.  I need about 100 ft of line, mostly buried deep enough not to hit, and move the existing regulator, buy a second regulator to keep the lines at decent pressure while running.

That's right. Might be easier to relocate the tank to the jenny side, and pipe the stove through the house. Might even set you up for a couple propane wall units in case that nasty white stuff comes back. I am doing that too, even with NG and wood... Two is one, one is none.  happy77

The indefinite part is the key - Buy a hundred gallons here and there during the good times, and next thing you know, you got some.
 :beer:

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
@roamer_1

See?

Oh, I don't know about the "white people" thing.

I was at the local Arco on a really busy day some time back, and because it was busy and the way the lot was set up, I left a gap between my Tahoe and the guy at the pump.    Some fat negress in a Buick jalopy pulled in, scanned the lot and I could see she was going to cut me off, I closed the gap.

Boy, did I get a lesson in Ebonics from the Welfare Reparations Class.   She was pissed.  It appears my honkey ass took HER spot.   I told her to learn some English then get back to me.  She got even madder.  It was so funny.  These days that ho' would have a gun.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Online DCPatriot

I sure hope they followed the money. There needs to be hell to pay.

Was thinking that too!

In this day and age, how did the hacker group get those monies transferred to an account, then withdraw the $$$ leaving no trail?

Unless you're the CIA/NSA   :pondering:

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't

Nothing of the sort will happen.

The Just Us Department does not act against well-connected Democrats or the people who pay them.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Online Lando Lincoln

Agreed. But if true, doesn’t $5 million seem low for the magnitude of the event?  None of this feels right.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline roamer_1

Was thinking that too!

In this day and age, how did the hacker group get those monies transferred to an account, then withdraw the $$$ leaving no trail?

Unless you're the CIA/NSA   :pondering:

Bitcoin normally.

Online DCPatriot