Author Topic: Federal Government Warns Americans Not to Fill Plastic Bags with Gas During Fuel Shortage  (Read 3119 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Federal Government Warns Americans Not to Fill Plastic Bags with Gas During Fuel Shortage

Charlie Spiering 12 May 2021

The federal government warned Americans on Wednesday not to fill plastic bags with gasoline during the ongoing fuel shortage on the East Coast.

“Do not fill plastic bags with gasoline,” the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission wrote on social media on Wednesday morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRjNdgAetQE

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/05/12/federal-government-warns-americans-fill-plastic-bags-gas-during-fuel-shortage/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GrouchoTex

That will thin out the gene pool if that keep up.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Stupid really should hurt ... not fatally, but enough to get the message across.

Offline thackney

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRjNdgAetQE

COME ON!!!

At least use a zip lock.  Double bagging Wal-mart shopping bags isn't going to help.  And Tying the handles together before putting in your trunk is just give her enough time to get away from the pump before the fire.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Somewhere in FL.... 22222frying pan

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline roamer_1

Somewhere in FL.... 22222frying pan

That looks like a fast trip to Chicago... Are you sure that's gas?  :silly:

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
I think if people want to put a highly flammable solvent like gasoline in plastic bags, they should be able to do so.   And they shouldn't be allowed to remove their Jo-Ho bumper stickers before they do it.    The fire will remove the stickers later.

Think of it as evolution in action.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline PeteS in CA

One cliff short of a Hollywood movie car crash scene.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Sled Dog

One cliff short of a Hollywood movie car crash scene.

I bet they wore seatbelts.

Too bad they didn't get bumped in the rear on the way home.

I don't think their insurance would cover that claim.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

I don't think their insurance would cover that claim.

Actually it would be covered. As an ex Claims adjuster with a major company we had a saying for situations like this; "We insure stupidity."

Offline roamer_1

I bet they wore seatbelts.

And masks, no doubt...

Offline Hoodat

“Do not fill plastic bags with gasoline,” the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission wrote on social media on Wednesday morning.

What do they expect us to use?  Paper?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Wingnut

What do they expect us to use?  Paper?

Nope.  Styrofoam you big silly!

Offline DB

Actually it would be covered. As an ex Claims adjuster with a major company we had a saying for situations like this; "We insure stupidity."

Generally only once per practitioner though...

Offline Hoodat

Nope.  Styrofoam you big silly!

Low-budget Napalm

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Wingnut

Generally only once per practitioner though...

Yep if they survived the fire, Underwriting would drop them faster than you can say..." Call Flo "

Offline thackney

Okay, real question now.

Any concerns about using caged IBC totes for short term gasoline storage.  30 days max.

Never mind the looks I will get at the gas station.

Offline roamer_1

Okay, real question now.

Any concerns about using caged IBC totes for short term gasoline storage.  30 days max.

I don't know. They SEEM to be the same sort of plastic that gas jugs are made of. Ventilation would be a worry.

And I think I would rather rely on steel 55s.

ours is up in a steel tank on stilts. I sure wouldn't worry about using the tote to transfer to that. But keeping it in the tote? Spooky.

Offline Sled Dog

Yeah, i thought of that after I posted.   Why pay the inevitable flood of lawyers, right?

Offline Sled Dog

I don't know. They SEEM to be the same sort of plastic that gas jugs are made of. Ventilation would be a worry.

And I think I would rather rely on steel 55s.

ours is up in a steel tank on stilts. I sure wouldn't worry about using the tote to transfer to that. But keeping it in the tote? Spooky.

My experience with plastic jugs to hold gasoline was that they were nylon.   But I suspect that most common plastics aren't overly reactive to gasoline.   But they are total crap for puncture and tear resistance....

...gotta wonder what they say when they get home and their bags are empty and the gasoline has leaked out of the trunk...

Offline corbe

The mask should keep them from getting high and/or passing out while driving a car filled with gasoline fumes, right?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sled Dog

The mask should keep them from getting high and/or passing out while driving a car filled with gasoline fumes, right?

Gasoline fumes only affect animals with brains.

Offline Lando Lincoln

That anyone would do this is mind numbing.  George Carlin was right:

There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline roamer_1

My experience with plastic jugs to hold gasoline was that they were nylon.   But I suspect that most common plastics aren't overly reactive to gasoline.   But they are total crap for puncture and tear resistance....

Yeah - I dunno what they are made of... it's got that greasy feel of ABS and they cut (gas jugs v tote) about the same... But that's all I got - they 'feel' the same. In a pinch I would take the bet. As a transfer I would take the bet.

And another thing, I KNOW there are IBC totes rated for oil and gas. They exist. Whether that is the same material - just poured thicker for puncture resistance - or if it is different, I don't know.

Offline thackney

I KNOW there are IBC totes rated for oil and gas. They exist. Whether that is the same material - just poured thicker for puncture resistance - or if it is different, I don't know.

I was looking at a used chemical tote, but I will look for fuel rating.

It is kinda spooky, but only temp storage.  I would fill half full for a possible hurricane and empty back out when passed.  I would not keep storage more than a month I think.