Author Topic: Vietnam-Era Veteran Makes Quilts to Heal, Help Others  (Read 472 times)

rangerrebew

Vietnam-Era Veteran Makes Quilts to Heal, Help Others
« on: May 12, 2021, 11:40:56 am »
 Vietnam-Era Veteran Makes Quilts to Heal, Help Others
May 10, 2021 | BY SKIP VAUGHN

Gail Belmont started quilting in 1997 to help with her emotional and physical pain from serving in the military during the Vietnam War.

The disabled veteran served in the Women's Army Corps from 1969-72 at Fort McClellan, Alabama, where she played trumpet in the WAC band.

Belmont said that part of her duties during Vietnam was playing Taps for those who were killed in action in Mississippi and Alabama. "I was 18 years old when I first went in, and I saw things that changed my life during that time frame. Mississippi and Alabama were very poor states, and the military funerals that I performed were something you never forget," the native Californian said.

These experiences inspired her to form the Quilts of Honor America in 2010. The voluntary group makes quilts for combat veterans who may have post-traumatic stress disorder or traumatic brain injury. They also make quilts for women who have served at least three years in the military that was traditionally male dominated.

Belmont is the executive director and founder of the group which has volunteers in 13 states. California, which is the headquarters, has about 200 volunteers. The other chapters include: Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, Texas, Virginia and Wisconsin.

https://www.defense.gov/Explore/Features/Story/Article/2602228/vietnam-era-veteran-makes-quilts-to-heal-help-others/