Author Topic: Desert Storm group makes final funding push to begin construction  (Read 418 times)

rangerrebew

Desert Storm group makes final funding push to begin construction
Todd South

The National Desert Storm and Desert Shield Memorial will be built near the Lincoln and Vietnam Memorials. It is expected to be built in time for the 30th anniversary of the 1991 Gulf War battles.

A nonprofit group that has spearheaded efforts to erect a memorial to Operation Desert Storm a short distance from the Vietnam Veterans Memorial has an ambitious goal to raise the last $20 million of funding so that they may break ground on the project this year, the 30th anniversary of the war.

Scott Stump, president and CEO of the National Desert Storm War Memorial Association spoke recently with Military Times, updating the status of the project.

Congress authorized construction of the memorial in 2014 and President Barack Obama signed that bill into law shortly afterward. President Donald Trump signed a bill that authorized the memorial to be built near the National Mall in Washington.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2021/05/07/desert-storm-group-makes-final-funding-push-to-begin-construction/

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Re: Desert Storm group makes final funding push to begin construction
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 02:41:24 pm »
Well, my math says they're going to have bit of trouble to complete it by the 30th anniversary...2021-1991=30.

Going to the DS/DS memorial group page, they are looking to "break ground" in 2021, so the writer got it wrong.

As a DS/DS vet, I'm not a big fan of this memorial and especially the cost of $40M. 

Should be a relatively simple affair honoring those who served and most importantly, those who died. 

Most times "less is more".
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 02:55:09 pm »
Well, my math says they're going to have bit of trouble to complete it by the 30th anniversary...2021-1991=30.

Going to the DS/DS memorial group page, they are looking to "break ground" in 2021, so the writer got it wrong.

As a DS/DS vet, I'm not a big fan of this memorial and especially the cost of $40M. 

Should be a relatively simple affair honoring those who served and most importantly, those who died. 

Most times "less is more".
Thank you sir for protecting our country!

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 09:41:10 pm »
Thank you sir for protecting our country!
@mrpotatohead, It was my privilege to serve sir.  Thank you kindly.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.