Author Topic: Electric vehicles cheaper than combustion by 2027, study predicts  (Read 11651 times)

Online Hoodat

Re: Electric vehicles cheaper than combustion by 2027, study predicts
« Reply #225 on: May 15, 2021, 08:59:09 pm »
@Hoodat

I'm not an engineer. I'm a dood wid a GED.

@sneakypete

I also have a GED.  Never graduated High School.  If I had it to do over again, I never would have gotten the GED.  It isn't needed to get into college.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #226 on: May 15, 2021, 09:06:05 pm »
@Hoodat

I'm not an engineer. I'm a dood wid a GED. I define "it works" when I get something to do what I need it to do,and to hell with everything else.

I'm not an engineer either. I was foolish enough though to stick with school through a 4 year BSET that took me 11 years start to finish. Well Navy took up 4 of those years.
and several years as a "Junior Engineer". And what was funny was that none of the jobs I held required all that education. All that mattered was "Can you do the work?"

And when I get sumpin working, I use it. I take no time prettying it up.

Online libertybele

« Reply #227 on: May 15, 2021, 09:12:36 pm »
In the Bayou there be Gators.

In the Everglades there are boas, pythons, anacondas and gators.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 09:15:48 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #228 on: May 15, 2021, 09:21:22 pm »
An engineer's job should never involve the phrase 'it ain't gonna work'.  An engineer's job is to find a way to make it work.

After 30 years on the interface of R&D with other functions I have to disagree.  The most important thing a technical professional can do is to recognize which approaches can work and which cannot work so we stop wasting resources on the latter and put them on the former.  When all ideas have to be nurtured and encouraged we get far fewer useful end products and far more science projects that go nowhere and usually don't even add up to good science.

At least that's been my experience.
James 1:20

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #229 on: May 16, 2021, 12:38:16 am »

@libertybele

You know what is NOT in the Everglades?

ME!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #230 on: May 16, 2021, 12:41:15 am »
I too only have a GED and did not go to college at all. I was hired as a engineering tech at a large Sunnyvale microwave (and RF and digital) communications equipment manufacturer in the early 80's. I was promoted to junior design engineer and then senior design engineer after about 2 or 3 years. Can't really remember when anymore... I had a hard time getting through the door on the initial hiring as an engineering tech due to the HR department. But once I was finally hired I had no problems moving forward. After about 5 years of that I did consulting for several years and then started my own satellite communications company designing and selling satellite modems (and other related equipment) all over the world. I also hold patents on communications tech.

@DB

I once made a whiskey still and and a bong.

May not SEEM all that impressive,but I was VERY happy with the performance of both.

Not to mention several Harley choppers.

Or at least I think I was. Which when you think about it,is the same thing.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 12:42:01 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #231 on: May 16, 2021, 01:41:33 am »
Castles have catacombs.
Let the donkeys pack 'em off--- @roamer_1 , rednecks have pigpens too... :whistle:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #232 on: May 16, 2021, 02:24:03 am »
Let the donkeys pack 'em off--- @roamer_1 , rednecks have pigpens too... :whistle:

:yowsa:

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #233 on: May 16, 2021, 12:10:40 pm »
I probably wouldn't be an engineer if I could communicate effectively.  Absolutely adore using drawings to communicate.  I frequently leave out words that would have help describe...

I really try to reread and understand what I left out, but the voices in my head just fill in the blanks automatically...

:beer:

That is why unless it is another engineer, I am almost worthless as a teacher.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #234 on: May 16, 2021, 12:14:22 pm »
But...

It is also the engineer's job to determine if there's a violation of the laws of physics and to cut it off before too many resources are wasted on it. Something can look great until those pesky little nitty gritty details start emerging showing otherwise. It is real easy to ignore some "little" detail that no one has an answer for and keep going with the project with plans to address it later only to find out it can't be solved later with what was already done... Those are the things that should be done first. You have to resolve the unknowns first or at least know that they are solvable with certainty on the path you are taking.

In the nuke world, we have an acronym for that - LOPA - Loss of Physics Accident......

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #235 on: May 16, 2021, 07:23:53 pm »

Damn that's a lot boots.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #236 on: May 16, 2021, 09:14:57 pm »
Damn that's a lot boots.
Snake steaks!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DB

« Reply #237 on: May 17, 2021, 12:54:37 am »
In the nuke world, we have an acronym for that - LOPA - Loss of Physics Accident......

These sort of mistakes tend to be expensive...