Author Topic: Electric vehicles cheaper than combustion by 2027, study predicts  (Read 11749 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: Electric vehicles cheaper than combustion by 2027, study predicts
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2021, 03:03:49 pm »
well that's not true. When I get home from work, I plug in my Tesla, and it’s typically charged in 50 minutes. Now my workplace is only 30 minutes from my house, but the way the charging works, it's slower as you get closer to fully charged.

If I am on a road trip, I charge at a SuperCharger, and depending on how much charge I need to get to the next one, it will be somewhere between 10 minutes and 30 minutes to charge. I typically go get a coffee or something to eat.

Interesting, I did not know that. They might be more feasible then.

BassWrangler

« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2021, 03:08:47 pm »
Interesting, I did not know that. They might be more feasible then.

Even the low end ones are practical for most people's daily commute. If you're wealthy enough to be a 2 or more car family, having one electric and the other(s) gasoline is often a  good option. I am working from home these days, but when I was commuting, I loved driving my Tesla there.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2021, 03:21:42 pm »
Even the low end ones are practical for most people's daily commute. If you're wealthy enough to be a 2 or more car family, having one electric and the other(s) gasoline is often a  good option. I am working from home these days, but when I was commuting, I loved driving my Tesla there.

Meanwhile, I am faced with replacing a battery on my 2009 hybrid with <30,000 miles.  It's been a year since the warranty on the battery expired, so I'll be out $11-12,000.  Despite the cost, it's much cheaper than buying a new non-electric car.  I'll never buy another vehicle that's in any way "electric."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2021, 03:25:35 pm »
Meanwhile, I am faced with replacing a battery on my 2009 hybrid with <30,000 miles.  It's been a year since the warranty on the battery expired, so I'll be out $11-12,000.  Despite the cost, it's much cheaper than buying a new non-electric car.  I'll never buy another vehicle that's in any way "electric."

12k will buy you into the hella nice used section. low-side, I suppose, but you're there...

Offline thackney

« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2021, 03:25:37 pm »

I would like to learn more about that, if you are so inclined.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

BassWrangler

« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2021, 03:28:40 pm »

Do you know this YouTuber, ChrisFix? He has a video showing replacement of a battery in a Prius. It's very straightforward and saves a ton of money.

I'm not a fan of hybrids. It's the worst of both worlds.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2021, 03:29:09 pm »

Unless you love the car, it's cheaper to ditch and go used. Or save a little then go "new".

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2021, 03:29:34 pm »

I wonder if a guy with the right smarts could rebuild them... It's got to be a bunch of l-ion packs paralleled together...

My current side-hustle project is putting together an electric trike on a Schwinn Meridian platform. Most of it is a kit (front wheel motor), but I think I am going to make the battery pack.

same thing, in micro...  :shrug:

BassWrangler

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2021, 03:59:02 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

Code: [Select]
https://youtu.be/Q3RCdrh666w

Thanks. That was fun... And answered my question as to rebuild-ability.  :beer:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2021, 04:14:54 pm »

Sure!  Ask away!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2021, 04:18:29 pm »
Unless you love the car, it's cheaper to ditch and go used. Or save a little then go "new".

I love the car, other than the hybrid part.  It's a 2009 Ford Escape with low, low mileage.  It was my commuter car back in Phoenix, about 1 mile each way, hence the low mileage.  I don't like buying somebody else's problems, so it would cost me $40-50K to replace it.  I would get next to zero for a trade-in for a broken car.

My attitude with cars has generally been to buy them new and drive the wheels off.
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2021, 04:21:09 pm »
I love the car, other than the hybrid part.  It's a 2009 Ford Escape with low, low mileage.  It was my commuter car back in Phoenix, about 1 mile each way, hence the low mileage.  I don't like buying somebody else's problems, so it would cost me $40-50K to replace it.  I would get next to zero for a trade-in for a broken car.

My attitude with cars has generally been to buy them new and drive the wheels off.

But you're a redneck now... Out in the boonies.
I'm telling you, you need a jeep. Or a pickup.The whole countryside will be open to you.
Jussayin.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2021, 04:25:18 pm »
But you're a redneck now... Out in the boonies.
I'm telling you, you need a jeep. Or a pickup.The whole countryside will be open to you.
Jussayin.

A pickumup is worthy of consideration if the battery replacement turns out to be problematic.  I think there is a problem with the Powertrain Control Module, and that could be made of Unobtainium.  The chip crunch is pretty bad in automotive.
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2021, 04:31:15 pm »
A pickumup is worthy of consideration if the battery replacement turns out to be problematic.  I think there is a problem with the Powertrain Control Module, and that could be made of Unobtainium.  The chip crunch is pretty bad in automotive.

Yeah... Find a restored pre-computer pickup or jeep. Easy to work on. Easy to fix in the field... And it will probably last your whole life if it was a good rebuild to start with. Around here, a restored 73-85 Chevy is way under $20k... Last one I saw was down to $10.5, and that seemed kinda spendy.

I am cutting up a 2T grain truck for my next one. Cummins diesel, military axles... It will be a monster. and it will very likely be my last.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2021, 04:33:55 pm »
A pickumup is worthy of consideration

Do you think you could talk Mrs. Slippy into overlanding? Or does that mean a air-conditioned 22' camper? Lots and lots of fun in that game.

Offline thackney

« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2021, 04:38:57 pm »

What is the cost of buying the batteries yourself?

BassWrangler

« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2021, 04:47:28 pm »
Were I in your shoes, @Cyber Liberty, I'd be tempted to ditch that hybrid and get a truck. As soon as my wife and I can escape the Seattle area and move back southeast, I'll be buying a pick-up truck again. It's just not very practical with my tiny garage and no driveway.

But then again, with gas prices headed for stratospheric levels, maybe the hybrid is not a bad option for the next 4 years.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2021, 04:48:56 pm »
What is the cost of buying the batteries yourself?

Last time I checked, about $10K.
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2021, 04:50:19 pm »
Were I in your shoes, @Cyber Liberty, I'd be tempted to ditch that hybrid and get a truck. As soon as my wife and I can escape the Seattle area and move back southeast, I'll be buying a pick-up truck again. It's just not very practical with my tiny garage and no driveway.

But then again, with gas prices headed for stratospheric levels, maybe the hybrid is not a bad option for the next 4 years.

Since I am retired now, I resist buying another new vehicle, and I am not a fan of buying used.   :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

BassWrangler

« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2021, 04:51:26 pm »

For that price, if you can afford it, it's time to sell it and get something new.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2021, 04:52:53 pm »
For that price, if you can afford it, it's time to sell it and get something new.

Therein lies the rub.  If I were still working, I'd have done that by now.
I will NOT comply.

Offline thackney

« Reply #97 on: May 12, 2021, 04:53:02 pm »

I suggest checking elsewhere, if the battery is the only real problem.  I started searching after I asked.

$2149.00

https://www.besthybridbatteries.com/products/ford-escape-2005-2009-hybrid-battery

https://www.besthybridbatteries.com/locations

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #98 on: May 12, 2021, 05:07:58 pm »
I am still surprised that there is not an effort to have a small generator/trailer available to rent that would charge the car for long driving events like a vacation trip.  Something you may only want once a year.
I had posted about a French start up that wants to do something just like that, the have a trailer with a generator that is plugged into the EV and adds and additional 350 - 450(I don't recall) so that EV owners can be just like ICE owners as far as range :silly: :silly:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2021, 05:11:24 pm »
I had posted about a French start up that wants to do something just like that, the have a trailer with a generator that is plugged into the EV and adds and additional 350 - 450(I don't recall) so that EV owners can be just like ICE owners as far as range :silly: :silly:

Sounds like a job for U-Haul  :laugh: