Author Topic: Gas prices set to rise after pipeline cyberattack  (Read 846 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Gas prices set to rise after pipeline cyberattack
« on: May 10, 2021, 03:44:56 pm »
Gas prices set to rise after pipeline cyberattack
By John Bowden - 05/10/21 07:26 AM EDT

Gas prices are expected to rise following a ransomware attack targeting Colonial Pipeline Company last week that forced the company to shut down a major fuel pipeline.

Reuters and The Associated Press noted that gas prices were already up nationwide by an average of six cents per gallon over the past two weeks. Industry experts are expecting further increases, particularly in the U.S. southeast.

"If the interruption persists, we will see more regional impacts than nation-wide, in terms of supply and prices. The south/southeast (Maryland to Mississippi to Georgia), will likely see gas prices increase first," the American Automobile Association (AAA) told Reuters.

"The shorter the pipeline shutdown, the better news for motorists," AAA continued.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/552569-gas-prices-set-to-rise-after-pipeline-cyberattack
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline thackney

Re: Gas prices set to rise after pipeline cyberattack
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 04:39:37 pm »

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 06:20:29 pm »
UPDATE 2-Largest U.S. refinery shuts crude units due to Colonial outage -sources

https://www.reuters.com/article/refinery-operations-motiva-portarthur-idUSL1N2MX10M
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Idiot

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 06:32:46 pm »
Poor yankees  :laugh:

Offline thackney

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 06:52:35 pm »
Poor yankees  :laugh:

Other pipelines also serve the NJ, NY area.  But this is the one and only refined products line serving MS, AL, GA, NC, SC & VA.  Not a lot of folks there consider themselves Yankees.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 08:07:43 pm »
UPDATE 2-Largest U.S. refinery shuts crude units due to Colonial outage -sources

Gas shortages....?
Support the USO

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 08:28:55 pm »
I am firmly convinced that in the near future all such control systems, not just those for pipelines, are going to have to be isolated from the internet entirely.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 08:30:47 pm »
I am firmly convinced that in the near future all such control systems, not just those for pipelines, are going to have to be isolated from the internet entirely.

I have not found just what data the ransomware encrypted.  Hard to be sure exactly what happened.  You could run the pipeline pumps but running a pipeline also means the accounting and the like has to work as well.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 08:37:16 pm »
I have not found just what data the ransomware encrypted.  Hard to be sure exactly what happened.  You could run the pipeline pumps but running a pipeline also means the accounting and the like has to work as well.

And all of that was accomplished before everything got tied to the internet.  I understand that SCADA systems and such have made life much simpler than it was before but I'm not sure it's worth the long term risks that sort of stuff opens us up to.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 09:22:32 pm »

The computers controlling nuke plants have been isolated from the internet since the early 1990's. Access to the plant process computers is strictly limited. Software updates are done manually after rigorous testing. There is a one way line to port data to a data server.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2021, 09:25:02 pm »
The computers controlling nuke plants have been isolated from the internet since the early 1990's. Access to the plant process computers is strictly limited. Software updates are done manually after rigorous testing. There is a one way line to port data to a data server.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And that same approach is coming soon to all our infrastructure IMHO.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2021, 09:37:42 pm »
Oh good. Now the rats have an excuse when people start complaining about skyrocketing gas prices. Which, by the way, have been skyrocketing since Biden closed down the keystone pipeline.

Offline thackney

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2021, 11:52:24 am »
Oh good. Now the rats have an excuse when people start complaining about skyrocketing gas prices. Which, by the way, have been skyrocketing since Biden closed down the keystone pipeline.

Just for clarity, Biden did not close down an operating pipeline.  He took away permits for a pipeline not yet under construction.