Author Topic: Kentucky Derby winner Medina Spirit returns positive drug test  (Read 658 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Kentucky Derby winner Medina Spirit returns positive drug test

Updated: 11:47 AM EDT May 9, 2021

The Associated Press

LOUISVILLE, Ky. —

Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert said Sunday that his barn has been told Kentucky Derby winner Medina Spirit failed a postrace drug test, the latest doping scandal for horse racing and arguably the sport’s premier trainer.

Flanked by his attorney Craig Robertson in a morning news conference at Churchill Downs on Sunday, Baffert said Medina Spirit was found to have 21 picograms of the steroid betamethasone, double the legal threshold in Kentucky racing, in a postrace sample.

That is the same drug that was found in the system of Gamine, another Baffert-trained horse who finished third in the Kentucky Oaks last September.

Baffert denied any wrongdoing and said he did not know how Medina Spirit could have tested positive. He said Medina Spirit has never been treated with betamethasone and called it “a complete injustice.”

“I got the biggest gut-punch in racing, for something I didn’t do,” said Baffert, who vowed to be transparent with racing investigators.

Baffert said his camp received the word of the positive test from Kentucky officials on Saturday. Baffert said Medina Spirit has not yet been officially disqualified from the Kentucky Derby, though that still could happen after other tests and processes are completed.

“This shouldn’t have happened,” Baffert said. “There’s a problem somewhere. It didn’t come from us.”

more w/video
https://www.wlky.com/article/kentucky-derby-winner-medina-spirit-returns-positive-drug-test/36374437
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Re: Kentucky Derby winner Medina Spirit returns positive drug test
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 11:23:09 am »
Is Baffert a friend of Trump? If so, maybe this is an effort to defame him. He denies having anything to do with the horse having been given the drug.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline berdie

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 09:26:28 pm »
I hadn't thought of that angle. Could be. But having been involved in the horse racing industry, in a very peripheral manner, it's so political he wouldn't need any help from a Trump association.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 10:12:44 pm »
Just throwing it out there. Horse racing and gambling are so intertwined, it's possible he crossed the wrong person in that realm, too. Hard to believe he'd do this intentionally and really think he could get away with it.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline berdie

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 08:35:53 pm »
That is, as well, a fine conjecture. I read today that Baffert said they used some type on ointment on the horse for a fungal infection. The ointment evidently contains the banned substance. Like you, I can't believe he would be so stupid to intentionally do this. So far, the horse is supposed to run in the Preakness. :shrug: