Author Topic: Cyber attack shuts down largest US gasoline pipeline – 45% of east coast and southern regions  (Read 4821 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
American Military News by Ryan Morgan   May 08, 2021

Cyber attack shuts down largest US gasoline pipeline – 45% of east coast and southern regions

On Friday night, the largest U.S. gas pipeline announced it had halted its operations after it discovered it was targeted in a cyber attack. The pipeline provides about 45 percent of the fuel supply along the east coast and southern United States.

In a company statement Friday night, Colonial Pipeline said, “On May 7, the Colonial Pipeline Company learned it was the victim of a cybersecurity attack. In response, we proactively took certain systems offline to contain the threat, which has temporarily halted all pipeline operations, and affected some of our IT systems.”

According to Bloomberg, Colonial Pipeline operates the largest gasoline and diesel pipeline system in the U.S.

CNBC reported the company transports 2.5 million barrels of gasoline, diesel, jet fuel and other refined products every day, accounting for about 45 percent of the east coast’s fuel supply. That fuel passes through 5,500 miles of pipelines. The pipeline network moves fuel from U.S. gulf coast refineries to populous areas along the eastern and southern United States.

More: https://americanmilitarynews.com/2021/05/cyber-attack-shuts-down-largest-us-gasoline-pipeline-45-of-east-coast-and-southern-regions/

Offline libertybele

I just posted an article stating that gas is going to be one of the 5 things that will become difficult to get.

I question whether or not then, that this was by design.  Nope, I don't trust our government. Interesting that the article came out around the same time as this one.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
The Chinese and the Rodents want the US de-industrialized.   There is no questioning that.

Naturally, effective sources of energy must be disabled, as must be effective means of energy distribution.   Hence the Rodent's permanent war on fossil fuels and vehicles using the same.    Electric cars are so much easier to control.   The Rodents seek to control individual movement.   Hence their constant harping on stupid fast trains and this new fascism of vaccine passports.

Another target is of course the vast unofficial army in the flyover country, hence the Rodents' permanent war on the Second Amendment.  No question what the Rodents seek there.  They seek sheep.

Thirdly, the Rodents seek to rule the minds of their sheep, hence their destruction of the schools.

The Rodents want to turn the US into what China is, without the wet markets.   
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Online roamer_1

This is bound to happen. And the main fault  is in the automation - I get it. I use back doors, and can govern my own stuff from anywhere. I understand the convenience and efficiency.

But critical systems NEED to have an air-gapped, even manual control. When the automated control systems get taken over, there ALWAYS need to be a way to get in the truck drive over there, and do it the old way. The whole thing needs to run entirely without computerization. Then it is convenient and still bulletproof.

Offline thackney

This is bound to happen. And the main fault  is in the automation - I get it. I use back doors, and can govern my own stuff from anywhere. I understand the convenience and efficiency.

But critical systems NEED to have an air-gapped, even manual control. When the automated control systems get taken over, there ALWAYS need to be a way to get in the truck drive over there, and do it the old way. The whole thing needs to run entirely without computerization. Then it is convenient and still bulletproof.

Yes sir, I understand the idea.  But there will be some level of local computerization.  Pumps this large use programable control relays to lower the risk to personal and equipment.  Having the ability to bypass these are considered too risky for massive faults.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online roamer_1

Yes sir, I understand the idea.  But there will be some level of local computerization.  Pumps this large use programable control relays to lower the risk to personal and equipment.  Having the ability to bypass these are considered too risky for massive faults.

Then an air-gapped critical subsystem capable of overriding outward facing systems will have to do.

Offline thackney

Then an air-gapped critical subsystem capable of overriding outward facing systems will have to do.

That should always be possible.  It has been almost 20 years since I last worked on a station of this pipeline.

Offline Hoodat

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
That @Cyber Liberty gets around.

@Hoodat

It's taken some years, but I am a force to be reckoned with.   :patriot:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Hoodat

But critical systems NEED to have an air-gapped, even manual control.

Preach it, brother.  Preach it.  As an automation guy, it galls me to no end when a customer connects a control system to their own business network.  An OPC server is the only thing anyone on the outside needs to see.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

Preach it, brother.  Preach it.  As an automation guy, it galls me to no end when a customer connects a control system to their own business network.  An OPC server is the only thing anyone on the outside needs to see.

If everyone knew how easy it was to get system level permissions on a windows box they would quail in fear. Locks and passwords do no more than keep honest people honest.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@Hoodat

It's taken some years, but I am a force to be reckoned with.   :patriot:

@Cyber Liberty

I understand that monitoring your diet and avoiding food like beans,collard greens,etc,etc,etc can be a big help with that sort of problem.

Just sayin..........
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline thackney

US passes emergency waiver over fuel pipeline cyber-attack
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-57050690

The Colonial Pipeline carries 2.5 million barrels a day - 45% of the East Coast's supply of diesel, gasoline and jet fuel.

It was completely knocked offline by a cyber-criminal gang on Friday and work to restore service is continuing.

The emergency status relaxes rules on fuel being transported by road.

It means drivers in 18 states can work extra or more flexible hours when transporting refined petroleum products....

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Biden is anti-pipeline after killing Keystone XL.

This is just another pipeline shutdown that must be pleasing to him.

However, it might be a wake-up call for people to realize what he is doing.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 02:08:47 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline The_Reader_David

One of the interesting things about this story is that the American media (not just "mainstream", but Breitbart as well) didn't notice until this morning and aren't covering it as a top story.  This was on BBC on Saturday when the breach occurred.  It is the Beeb's top story on their website now.  By contrast, while the NYTimes now has it on the first page of their website, but it is "below the fold"-- you have to scroll down to see it-- and as a very small headline.  Likewise CNN (though their type-face for the headline, which doesn't tell it was a cyber-attack, just a pipeline shutdown, makes it more noticeable).  And, zero mention on the LA Times website's front page.

I'm afraid if you actually want American news these days, you really have to read the foreign press.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 02:37:28 pm by The_Reader_David »
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Idiot

It's scary that those systems are tied to the internet.  You'd think they'd have their own "secure" system in some way.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
potato wrote:
"It's scary that those systems are tied to the internet.  You'd think they'd have their own "secure" system in some way."

At the very least, there should be some way to revert to "localized, offline manual control".

Even if this means keeping one control computer at each important location that IS NEVER connected to the net -- but rather, "just sits there" with essential control software that can be plugged in and used in a disruption such as this.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
potato wrote:
"It's scary that those systems are tied to the internet.  You'd think they'd have their own "secure" system in some way."

At the very least, there should be some way to revert to "localized, offline manual control".

Even if this means keeping one control computer at each important location that IS NEVER connected to the net -- but rather, "just sits there" with essential control software that can be plugged in and used in a disruption such as this.

Just imagine what it would be like if Railroad switching stations were under internet control.  :terror:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline thackney

potato wrote:

The problem is the ransomware first infected local systems and encripted the data used for operations.  Once the ransom notice made them aware, it was already too late to isolate.

Offline mountaineer

I just posted an article stating that gas is going to be one of the 5 things that will become difficult to get.

I question whether or not then, that this was by design.  Nope, I don't trust our government. Interesting that the article came out around the same time as this one.
This is the plan. Create shortages. Create panic.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
This is the plan. Create shortages. Create panic.

And then propose solutions that don't address the shortages.
I will NOT comply.

Offline mountaineer

And then propose solutions that don't address the shortages.
Destroy the economy and people's lives. Take away freedom.

Offline Idiot

Destroy the economy and people's lives. Take away freedom.
Great to see you on here!  I pray you are healing well.
@mountaineer

Offline mountaineer

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The problem is the ransomware first infected local systems and encripted the data used for operations.  Once the ransom notice made them aware, it was already too late to isolate.
There's another level to this. If there is no place for product to go, it will back up at refineries...At some point, they will have to slow down or stop producing gasoline. That puts a ripple in the pond that will go right back up the food chain to production at the wellhead.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis