Author Topic: Cyber attack shuts down largest US gasoline pipeline – 45% of east coast and southern regions  (Read 4871 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Something you may want to consider.  I find this advice repeated from a lot of sources.

https://www.erieinsurance.com/blog/low-fuel-running-on-empty

Damaged fuel pump: It’s the job of your car’s fuel pump to send gasoline to the engine. The pump is submerged in the gas tank where, by design, it uses fuel to cool and lubricate it. Most fuel pumps can last for the life of your vehicle. But when you run your car on empty, it’s possible for the pump to overheat, which can lead to a costly failure. Because the gas tank often needs to be drained and removed to replace the pump, this labor-intensive job could cost upwards of $1,000 to repair.

:yowsa: Excellent advice there.  The rule around here is when you see that fuel gauge below half start looking for a place to fill up and never allow it to get below on quarter full.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I don't know what you got, but that's what I meant by the aftermarket pickup tube and sending unit.  You just take the old gear out, replace it with the pickup tube / sending unit combo, and the you are free to relocate the pump to a frame rail. Been a while, but that pickup tube / sender was under fifty, probably thirty... and that is cheap to never have to do it again.  YMMV
Now that would be a nice retrofit, because I'm no fan of the in-tank pump. I'll have to check into that for the next time. One and done appeals to me, and nothing sucks like sitting on the side of the road in -20 weather with a full tank and no engine.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
:yowsa: Excellent advice there.  The rule around here is when you see that fuel gauge below half start looking for a place to fill up and never allow it to get below on quarter full.
We run on the top half here, mainly out of habit from winter (never far away). If you end up stuck in a snowbank, that extra fuel can make the difference between life and death. (You might have to pop the hood and dig the snow out from around the front of the engine before it all freezes into a block of ice, though).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
We run on the top half here, mainly out of habit from winter (never far away). If you end up stuck in a snowbank, that extra fuel can make the difference between life and death. (You might have to pop the hood and dig the snow out from around the front of the engine before it all freezes into a block of ice, though).

We have not generally had that kind of problem down here in these latitudes but after last February it may be coming!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Bigun

Same  here,and everywhere else that is rural. Not so much for city people,who have 24 hour gas stations on pretty much every corner.

At one time not so long ago,it was a 50 mile drive to the nearest ER,and the closest thing to an ambulance was a sheriff's deputy in a station wagon that might be a 20 minute drive away.

You didn't DARE come home with anything other than a full tank of gas,period. Even if you had 3/4 of a tank,you stopped and filled up before coming home. There were no gas stations within 50 miles that were open after dark where I lived,and there was no such thing as a self-service after hours gas pump. Even if there were,who has the time to stop and feed dollar bills into a machine to fill the gas tank while someone is laying in the backseat of your car,possibly dying?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 02:38:56 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Lando Lincoln

There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online roamer_1

I will second that. And full fuel tanks don't condense either. Not to mention that like Texas, up in here, everything is too far away and nothing in between.

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
They asked for only five megabucks?

Wasn't real ransomware criminals.

We'll know it's a real attack if they identify the criminals.   And with the CIA FBI NSA on the deal, the only way they won't report on who the criminals are is if the criminals have (D) after their name or they work for the CIA FBI NSA DNC.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline thackney

I will second that. And full fuel tanks don't condense either. Not to mention that like Texas, up in here, everything is too far away and nothing in between.

As long as the tank does not breath, it won't condense.  But if you have a tank, especially is exposed to the sun, and is not containing the top pressure, it is likely going to breath some with day to night temperature changes.  And down here, it often near breaths near 100% humidity.

If a full tank goes from full to empty, it sucked air into the tank.  It is not just gasoline vapor fumes.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
There is more to this story than we will ever know.  @DCPatriot called it.

@Lando Lincoln

LOL!  Well, 'SOMEBODY' paid it.  Not Colonial, perhaps.

Still say that the Biden (Obama) administration paid it out of the infrastructure funds.  After all, it's 'Petty Cash' when you're talking about $1.3Trillion.

They see the People are blaming the Biden White House and they couldn't have that, when their other hand is whipping up the citizenry with this White Devil Domestic Terrorist nonsense.

No way would Colonial pay it because they know they've got a State-of-the Art, 'Fail-Safe' system and ordinarily should be able to get back online in less than 12 hours, as @roamer_1 , et al, explained.

Realizing this all reads like crazy...but does that mean it couldn't happen?  Today?

Exactly!   :laugh:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online rustynail

Proving once again that the Democratic Party is for the little guy President Joe Biden gets the gas flowing.

Just in time for the American People to enjoy the coming beginning of summer holiday. 

Offline Sled Dog

@Lando Lincoln

LOL!  Well, 'SOMEBODY' paid it.  Not Colonial, perhaps.

Still say that the Biden (Obama) administration paid it out of the infrastructure funds.  After all, it's 'Petty Cash' when you're talking about $1.3Trillion.

They see the People are blaming the Biden White House and they couldn't have that, when their other hand is whipping up the citizenry with this White Devil Domestic Terrorist nonsense.

No way would Colonial pay it because they know they've got a State-of-the Art, 'Fail-Safe' system and ordinarily should be able to get back online in less than 12 hours, as @roamer_1 , et al, explained.

Realizing this all reads like crazy...but does that mean it couldn't happen?  Today?

Exactly!   :laugh:

Not surprising to realize that probably one a national government would have the sophistication to hack the Colonial software, or a major Big Fascist Tech firm.

So pick from (China, Russia, Israel, Iran, China, Japan, the United States, or China) on the one hand, or (Google, Twitter, Fakebook, or Microsoft) on the other. 

Either set is capable, either set could be willing, either set could actually want to do it.

Our domestic tech giants are no less a direct enemy to America than the foreign governments they wish to supercede.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline Sled Dog

Proving once again that the Democratic Party is for the little guy President Joe Biden gets the gas flowing.

Just in time for the American People to enjoy the coming beginning of summer holiday.

If the Rodents were for the "little guy" (a Bill Clinton reference?) why did they steal the election in 2020?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
If the Rodents were for the "little guy" (a Bill Clinton reference?) why did they steal the election in 2020?

Clinton called his johnson "little guy."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sled Dog

Clinton called his johnson "little guy."

Was that a nice thing to say about Ladybird's war mongering husband?

Offline mountaineer

Disclose.tv
@disclosetv
JUST IN - Pipeline communication system is down, according to #Colonial shippers.
10:45 AM · May 18, 2021·Twitter Web App

Colonial Pipeline
@Colpipe
Our internal server that runs our nomination system experienced intermittent disruptions this morning due to some of the hardening efforts that are ongoing and part of our restoration process. These issues were not related to the ransomware or any type of reinfection.
12:16 PM · May 18, 2021·

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1394665461904814084
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

It's that time of year anyways - time to fill up the gas caddy just in case. Last couple of hurricanes gas became unavailable for awhile and the extra gas came in very handy.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Hoodat

Colonial Pipeline CEO says company paid hackers $4.4 million in ransomware attack  .  .  .

.  .  .  which it will pass on to its customers.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline mountaineer

Colonial Pipeline CEO says company paid hackers $4.4 million in ransomware attack
https://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/554334-colonial-pipeline-ceo-says-company-paid-hackers-44-million-after
Glenn Beck said this morning it was $90 million.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org