General Category > National/Breaking News

Cyber attack shuts down largest US gasoline pipeline – 45% of east coast and southern regions

<< < (2/17) > >>

roamer_1:

--- Quote from: thackney on May 09, 2021, 05:57:01 pm ---Yes sir, I understand the idea.  But there will be some level of local computerization.  Pumps this large use programable control relays to lower the risk to personal and equipment.  Having the ability to bypass these are considered too risky for massive faults.

--- End quote ---

Then an air-gapped critical subsystem capable of overriding outward facing systems will have to do.

thackney:

--- Quote from: roamer_1 on May 09, 2021, 06:03:35 pm ---Then an air-gapped critical subsystem capable of overriding outward facing systems will have to do.

--- End quote ---

That should always be possible.  It has been almost 20 years since I last worked on a station of this pipeline.

Hoodat:
That @Cyber Liberty gets around.

Cyber Liberty:

--- Quote from: Hoodat on May 09, 2021, 07:08:25 pm ---That @Cyber Liberty gets around.

--- End quote ---

@Hoodat

It's taken some years, but I am a force to be reckoned with.   :patriot:

Hoodat:

--- Quote from: roamer_1 on May 09, 2021, 06:34:01 am ---But critical systems NEED to have an air-gapped, even manual control.

--- End quote ---

Preach it, brother.  Preach it.  As an automation guy, it galls me to no end when a customer connects a control system to their own business network.  An OPC server is the only thing anyone on the outside needs to see.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version