Author Topic: Cyber attack shuts down largest US gasoline pipeline – 45% of east coast and southern regions  (Read 4825 times)

Offline thackney

There's another level to this. If there is no place for product to go, it will back up at refineries...At some point, they will have to slow down or stop producing gasoline. That puts a ripple in the pond that will go right back up the food chain to production at the wellhead.

That started yesterday.

Largest U.S. refinery shuts crude units due to Colonial outage
https://www.hydrocarbonprocessing.com/news/2021/05/largest-us-refinery-shuts-crude-units-due-to-colonial-outage

Motiva Enterprises LLC's 607,000 barrel-per-day (bpd) Port Arthur, Texas, refinery shut the 195,000-bpd VPS-4 CDU and the 80,000-bpd VPS-2 CDU along with the 49,000-bpd reformer and 19,200-bpd lube oil hydrocracker, the people said.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
That started yesterday.

Largest U.S. refinery shuts crude units due to Colonial outage
https://www.hydrocarbonprocessing.com/news/2021/05/largest-us-refinery-shuts-crude-units-due-to-colonial-outage

Motiva Enterprises LLC's 607,000 barrel-per-day (bpd) Port Arthur, Texas, refinery shut the 195,000-bpd VPS-4 CDU and the 80,000-bpd VPS-2 CDU along with the 49,000-bpd reformer and 19,200-bpd lube oil hydrocracker, the people said.
Crap. Just as I get back into the upstream end, this.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article251316998.html

...North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper declared a state of emergency Monday that suspended “motor vehicle fuel regulations to ensure adequate fuel supplies throughout the state.” On Tuesday, he urged consumers to report price gouging and to resist rushing “to top off your tanks.”...

That was the best way to guarantee panic buying of rushing to top off your tanks.

Offline mountaineer

I don't believe the Colonial pipeline affects my state. Nevertheless, the panic buying is happening and I'm reading of shortages. Nothing this fascist administration wants more than fear and hysteria.  9999hair out0000
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
A funny "senior moment"...

Reading about the horrors of finding your gas station "OUT OF GAS", I jumped into my Passat (16 gallon tank) to top off my half tank.

There were of course, no lines.

Never fill up until I'm almost out...get about 540 miles per tank... always ends up costing me about $45. at current prices.

I completely forgot that I'm already half full and got really pissed off that I couldn't get more than $25...even placing the pump handle on the ground and rocked the rear end of my car up and down to lose any air bubbles.  ROFL!   9999hair out0000
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Smokin Joe

Reading about the horrors of finding your gas station "OUT OF GAS", I jumped into my Passat (16 gallon tank) to top off my half tank.

Never fill up until I'm almost out...get about 540 miles per tank... always ends up costing me about $45. at current prices.

I completely forgot that I'm already half full and got really pissed off that I couldn't get more than $25...even placing the pump handle on the ground and rocked the rear end of my car up and down to lose any air bubbles.  ROFL!   9999hair out0000
:silly:

I don't feel any better just because I have a 34 gallon tank in my little buggy....

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Dang, you're a skinflint!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline cato potatoe

That was the best way to guarantee panic buying of rushing to top off your tanks.

I was out earlier today, and the effect was immediate.  Our governor is an imbecile.

Offline Hoodat

Never fill up until I'm almost out...get about 540 miles per tank... always ends up costing me about $45.

Having just bought a VW, I get mad when I'm not getting 40 mpg or better.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline mountaineer

I get over 30 mpg with my 2014 Subaru Forester. Great car, and fuel efficiency is what I like best.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline thackney

...Never fill up until I'm almost out...

Something you may want to consider.  I find this advice repeated from a lot of sources.

https://www.erieinsurance.com/blog/low-fuel-running-on-empty

Damaged fuel pump: It’s the job of your car’s fuel pump to send gasoline to the engine. The pump is submerged in the gas tank where, by design, it uses fuel to cool and lubricate it. Most fuel pumps can last for the life of your vehicle. But when you run your car on empty, it’s possible for the pump to overheat, which can lead to a costly failure. Because the gas tank often needs to be drained and removed to replace the pump, this labor-intensive job could cost upwards of $1,000 to repair.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Is It Better to Keep Your Gas Tank Full or Empty?

https://www.savingadvice.com/articles/2015/06/26/1034872_gas-tank-full-or-empty.html

Keeping a full tank of gas is most beneficial to your car over the long run. Your gas tank is an empty space, and whatever space is not filled by gas is filled with air. Air contains water vapor, which can condense on the sides of your fuel tank. This condensation can cause two problems. First, it can cause rust to develop on the sides of fuel tanks which are made of metal, which can cause problems in the future. The water vapors can also mix with the gas in the fuel tank, causing it to work less efficiently. This can be a problem for both plastic and metal fuel tanks.
Why Is a Full Tank of Gas Best?

According to Consumer Reports, gasoline acts like a coolant for your vehicle’s fuel pump motor. If your gas tank is very low, the fuel pump can suck in air. The fuel pump can then become overheated, which may lead to premature wear on the fuel pump, and eventual failure. If your fuel tank has dirt in it, it can become clogged as well. Consumer Reports goes on to advise never running your car below a 1/4 tank full.

It seems it is especially dangerous to run on a low fuel tank during the winter months. Cold temperatures can cause water to form on the gas tank’s empty walls. This water will go all the way to the bottom of the tank (since water is heavier than gas) and make its way into the fuel lines, where it can freeze. This will wreak havoc on your travel plans, not to mention it may cause further costly damage to your car.

More at link.

Water in your fuel is not good even when it doesn't freeze.

I have replaced 2 (inside the tank) fuel pumps over the years. Its no fun.

Offline roamer_1

I have replaced 2 (inside the tank) fuel pumps over the years. Its no fun.

Goofy dang thing, putting the pump in the tank... I have replaced a few too, and usually cut a neat hole in the bed to remove the pump directly. Way faster. And if it is done right, the cut-out is converted to a hatch, which means the next time will be quicker yet.

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
US passes emergency waiver over fuel pipeline cyber-attack
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-57050690

The Colonial Pipeline carries 2.5 million barrels a day - 45% of the East Coast's supply of diesel, gasoline and jet fuel.

It was completely knocked offline by a cyber-criminal gang on Friday and work to restore service is continuing.

The emergency status relaxes rules on fuel being transported by road.

It means drivers in 18 states can work extra or more flexible hours when transporting refined petroleum products....

Hmmmm....so the trucks delivering the food to the Rodent Infested cities might have problems fueling up...

...there's an opportunity for enterprising pro-America truckers.....just don't feed the animals....
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline thackney

Gas shortages intensify in Southeast, with 28 percent of North Carolina stations now dry
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/05/12/gas-shortage-colonial-pipeline-live-updates/

...More than 17 percent of the stations in Georgia and Virginia were dry Wednesday, according to GasBuddy, and states as far as West Virginia and Kentucky also are running out. Major metropolitan areas have been hit hardest by the shortages, with more than 70 percent of the stations out of gasoline in Charlotte, Raleigh and Greenville, as well as roughly 60 percent of those in Norfolk and Atlanta, according to Patrick De Haan, GasBuddy’s head oil analyst.

As of Wednesday, governors in Florida, North Carolina, Georgia and Virginia had declared states of emergency and taken steps to relax fuel transport rules to ease some of the pain at the pump. But the run on gas stations also is colliding with a shortage of truck drivers, compounding the logistical challenges as states try to fill in for the Colonial Pipeline, which supplies 45 percent of the East Coast’s fuel....

Offline thackney

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
This is really going to hurt the working class in rural areas that have to drive 30 to 75 miles a day,one way,to get to work,and another 30 to 75 miles to get back home.

Ifn ah didin no no betta,Ah might spect hit bees one mo tool in da tool box ob the commies,what what ta make everybodie move into Stalin partmints in da cities.

BTW,I was having a little fun above but I am as serious as a heart attack about it. They will use ANY tool they can fit in their "toolbox" to control the population.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 07:32:41 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

Something you may want to consider.  I find this advice repeated from a lot of sources.

https://www.erieinsurance.com/blog/low-fuel-running-on-empty

Damaged fuel pump: It’s the job of your car’s fuel pump to send gasoline to the engine. The pump is submerged in the gas tank where, by design, it uses fuel to cool and lubricate it. Most fuel pumps can last for the life of your vehicle. But when you run your car on empty, it’s possible for the pump to overheat, which can lead to a costly failure. Because the gas tank often needs to be drained and removed to replace the pump, this labor-intensive job could cost upwards of $1,000 to repair.
I always run on the top half of the tank. It's a North Dakota habit intended to help you survive in winter (should you become stranded by road conditions, you have a half tank to keep warm, minimum. GM in-tank fuel pumps from the late 90s through 2000 last about 120,000 miles. I have had two quit on the road. No fun, and replacing them is a chore... (get the vehicle somewhere you can empty the tank, remove the tank, and replace the fuel pump, put it all back together. I liked the old mechanical pumps on the small block chevy, far easier to replace, and a lot cheaper.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

I always run on the top half of the tank. It's a North Dakota habit intended to help you survive in winter (should you become stranded by road conditions, you have a half tank to keep warm, minimum. GM in-tank fuel pumps from the late 90s through 2000 last about 120,000 miles. I have had two quit on the road. No fun, and replacing them is a chore... (get the vehicle somewhere you can empty the tank, remove the tank, and replace the fuel pump, put it all back together. I liked the old mechanical pumps on the small block chevy, far easier to replace, and a lot cheaper.

You can do alright with a frame mounted electric - but you still have to get the old one out first. The turbine style will not let the gas pass (I nearly said you can't pass gas, but that would be different).

I have just cut a hole in the bed to access the pump... If you do it right, a couple tabs and a piano hinge and you've got a hatch... But better to buy an after market pickup tube and gas sender, and go to an electric on the frame.

Offline Smokin Joe

You can do alright with a frame mounted electric - but you still have to get the old one out first. The turbine style will not let the gas pass (I nearly said you can't pass gas, but that would be different).

I have just cut a hole in the bed to access the pump... If you do it right, a couple tabs and a piano hinge and you've got a hatch... But better to buy an after market pickup tube and gas sender, and go to an electric on the frame.
Next time (and there will likely be a next time, I have four from that model block) I will look into that. Problem is the gas gauge sending unit is part of the original assembly...so at least that much will have to stay wired. These aren't pickups (my daily driver pickup is an old slant six Dodge), so cutting the trapdoor isn't really the best solution.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I went out yesterday for a bunch of errands. Lot of gas to be found, but prices are edging near $3.00 a gallon. I know it will be that high or higher by Memorial Day
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline roamer_1

Next time (and there will likely be a next time, I have four from that model block) I will look into that. Problem is the gas gauge sending unit is part of the original assembly...so at least that much will have to stay wired. These aren't pickups (my daily driver pickup is an old slant six Dodge), so cutting the trapdoor isn't really the best solution.

I don't know what you got, but that's what I meant by the aftermarket pickup tube and sending unit.  You just take the old gear out, replace it with the pickup tube / sending unit combo, and the you are free to relocate the pump to a frame rail. Been a while, but that pickup tube / sender was under fifty, probably thirty... and that is cheap to never have to do it again.  YMMV

Offline thackney

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Smokin Joe

So what? Just buy a new aftermarket gas tank with the sending unit for an earlier car or truck that didn't come with the in-tank fuel pump,and the problem is solved.

Contact "Tanks,Inc" or someone similar and give them the dimensions of your tank and tell them you want one with the same,or VERY similar dimensions. Install it and if you have to,install an aftermarket gas gauge in a bracket under your dash.

Problem solved,and chances are you will never again have to swap out the fuel pump or take the gas tank off again.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!