Author Topic: There's More on the Florida Principal Who Paddled The Six-Year-Old Girl  (Read 4706 times)

Offline roamer_1

Beautiful, just beautiful

'nuff said.  happy77

Offline roamer_1

In this case, the mother first gave permission to spank the child.

I don't think that is necessary within the margin, any more than it is for a cop. There has to be teeth. Now, the other side of that is that the school had better damn sure be right about it when it happens, as my father before me, (and I myself) have strenuously pointed out. Dragging a principal over his desk seems to be a family tradition. No userpation of parental authority goes unnoticed.

If my kid had the paddle coming to him, more power to em. But he better have it coming.

Your problem appears to be failure to understand the difference between corporal punishment and a beating.

I never hit my kids in anger.  Corporal punishment was just one of the many tools in the tool box and not the most commonly or first used.

Facts.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
So, y'all are cool with the government usurping parental authority and beating the shit out of those who won't obey?

I mean, I'm seeing a lot of posts by people lauding their incompetent parents for beating the crap out of them because the parents failed to teach the child properly.   I never had to beat my children and they're just fine.   One graduated with two degrees from UCLA, with a near 4.0 GPA in each, and the other scored 98 out of 99 on the ASVAB prior to enlisting in the Navy.

What did I do wrong, not beating the crap out of my kids?

I was schooled by Franciscans and Jesuits in my youth.  Corporal punishment was common.

Got paddled by Father Gordian, the Prefect of Discipline...over the loudspeaker for the entire school and staff to hear.

My crime?  I worked in the school cafeteria for a free lunch, stacking EMPTY plastic cardboard milk containers from the trays for the trash.  So, I ate ten minutes before the student body.

One day, while enjoying my spaghetti with meat sauce (therefore it was Thursday  happy77) and a paper airplane landed in my plate.

Without looking up, I simply picked it up and tossed it.

Father Gordian happened to be walking by and saw me.  There was no appeal process. Can still recall him telling me to "Bend over and hold your ankles...."

I yelled out "OWW!  OWW-OWW!!!"  and my ass was on fire for 20 minutes.   :silly:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline roamer_1

I was schooled by Franciscans and Jesuits in my youth.  Corporal punishment was common.

Got paddled by Father Gordian, the Prefect of Discipline...over the loudspeaker for the entire school and staff to hear.

My crime?  I worked in the school cafeteria for a free lunch, stacking EMPTY plastic cardboard milk containers from the trays for the trash.  So, I ate ten minutes before the student body.

One day, while enjoying my spaghetti with meat sauce (therefore it was Thursday  happy77) and a paper airplane landed in my plate.

Without looking up, I simply picked it up and tossed it.

Father Gordian happened to be walking by and saw me.  There was no appeal process. Can still recall him telling me to "Bend over and hold your ankles...."

I yelled out "OWW!  OWW-OWW!!!"  and my ass was on fire for 20 minutes.   :silly:

Nice anecdote... And I too was punished unfairly a time or two... Hardly made up for the times I got away with it...

And I think a bygone era that we are speaking of speaks for itself. Children were far more respectful of parents and institutions in that time... Rightly so, I think.

And that is something this willful and weak generation will never understand.

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
In this case, the mother first gave permission to spank the child.

So, you're cool with the government usurping authority.

Was the child presented with an indictment of the crimes alleged against her?

Was her right to legal counsel protected?

Was she give a trial BY HER PEERS?

Who was there to protect the child's rights?  Not the parent, obviously.  Since that female didn't habla very well, just like the "principal", I'm pretty sure none of the protections the Constitution grants citizens were respected.

It's the parent's job to administer corporal punishment, which should never be applied with a TOOL.

Your problem appears to be failure to understand the difference between corporal punishment and a beating.

Nope.  No difficulty in making the distinction at all.

I saw the movie "Funny Farm".   Remember the scene where Chevy Chase hooks the other fisherman in the boat and trying to knock him out before pulling the hook?   "Looks like you're just beating the shit outta him."

They were just beating the child.

The child could not have damaged the computer equipment if she had been PROPERLY SUPERVISED.   The fault lay with the SCHOOL.  It was the principal who should have been beaten with the Ugly Stick (fishing reference included).

I never hit my kids in anger.  Corporal punishment was just one of the many tools in the tool box and not the most commonly or first used.

I never hit my kids.

I supervised them if they were doing things that carried some risk of harm to themselves or property.   It's not complicated.

The State has no business being a parental surrogate.    The ONLY correct answer to any government official who asks "Can I beat your children?" is "Let me get my shotgun, we have things to discuss."

The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline thackney

So, you're cool with the government usurping authority.

That is not what happened.  Parental permission is all the legal BS you claim below.

Was the child presented with an indictment of the crimes alleged against her?

Was her right to legal counsel protected?

Was she give a trial BY HER PEERS?

Who was there to protect the child's rights?  Not the parent, obviously.  Since that female didn't habla very well, just like the "principal", I'm pretty sure none of the protections the Constitution grants citizens were respected.

It's the parent's job to administer corporal punishment, which should never be applied with a TOOL.

Nope.  No difficulty in making the distinction at all.

I saw the movie "Funny Farm".   Remember the scene where Chevy Chase hooks the other fisherman in the boat and trying to knock him out before pulling the hook?   "Looks like you're just beating the shit outta him."

They were just beating the child.

The child could not have damaged the computer equipment if she had been PROPERLY SUPERVISED.   The fault lay with the SCHOOL.  It was the principal who should have been beaten with the Ugly Stick (fishing reference included).

I never hit my kids.

I supervised them if they were doing things that carried some risk of harm to themselves or property.   It's not complicated.

The State has no business being a parental surrogate.    The ONLY correct answer to any government official who asks "Can I beat your children?" is "Let me get my shotgun, we have things to discuss."

Since you are incable of understanding the difference beating a child and corporal punishment, you made a wise decision for own children.

My family understands the difference.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Sled Dog

That is not what happened.  Parental permission is all the legal BS you claim below.

Since you are incable of understanding the difference beating a child and corporal punishment, you made a wise decision for own children.

My family understands the difference.

No.

I understand perfectly that we should not allow our government to change our diapers or beat our kids, because family if family and government is a horrible tentacular and insatiably voracious monster that should never be either fed nor encouraged.

You feel differently.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
No.

I understand perfectly that we should not allow our government to change our diapers or beat our kids, because family if family and government is a horrible tentacular and insatiably voracious monster that should never be either fed nor encouraged.

You feel differently.

There was a time I would of 100% disagreed with your reasoning. I got paddled in school, it was good calls 99% of the time. I deserved and respected the discipline as did my folks. I needed to know the lines of right and wrong. Spare the rod, spoil the child applied to my educators and they for the most part used it when needed.

Now days the messed up minds of liberal educators makes me some what doubt their judgement. In this case, the girl got a few swats that were patty-cake jokes, but she deserved them (and more). Parents in the old days only reinforced good discipline (mine said let them know what I got a paddling for, and often I got a real whooping at home on top of what I got at school). I needed it, I was a strong willed child and wanted to know that line was not to be tip-toed.

I don't care for my kids going to places that doesn't discipline other kids. It makes for ghetto environments that distract from getting an education. I dislike it so much, that we homeschooled out kids k-12 and still do (and a few other kids on top of ours). We have seen the effect of parents letting kids rule the roost, and it is not easy to correct (thus why we are paid good to correct the problems they have allowed, and yes we work with the parents to ensure they know how to raise respectful children at home too).

There was one lesson I learned right fast while a child, you didn't gloat to your mother with something like "that didn't hurt". Years later, I am glad I felt those lashes, they shaped character in a positive direction, just what I needed (and my siblings saw not to do things the hard way like I tried). 

But... like I stated at the start... now days we have mindless liberals often at the helm. They are apt to have faulty reasoning guided by PC factors. Will just some kids get discipline? Will the punishments be PC motivated and affect their grades if they reason the kids are from conservative backgrounds? Lots of stuff that helped our decisions to homeschool our kids. I am just a big redneck fellow that was not suited to be an educator, but we found out I did just fine in my sector of educating, I did the mechanical sector, wife did the rest. Our first two kids have good ACT scores and one has a full ride to engineering school, other has partial scholarship and attends local community college with great grades.   
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 06:13:42 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline roamer_1

There was a time I would of 100% disagreed with your reasoning. I got paddled in school, it was good calls 99% of the time. I deserved and respected the discipline as did my folks. I needed to know the lines of right and wrong. Spare the rod, spoil the child applied to my educators and they for the most part used it when needed.

Now days the messed up minds of liberal educators makes me some what doubt their judgement. In this case, the girl got a few swats that were patty-cake jokes, but she deserved them (and more). Parents in the old days only reinforced good discipline (mine said let them know what I got a paddling for, and often I got a real whooping at home on top of what I got at school). I needed it, I was a strong willed child and wanted to know that line was not to be tip-toed.

I don't care for my kids going to places that doesn't discipline other kids. It makes for ghetto environments that distract from getting an education. I dislike it so much, that we homeschooled out kids k-12 and still do (and a few other kids on top of ours). We have seen the effect of parents letting kids rule the roost, and it is not easy to correct (thus why we are paid good to correct the problems they have allowed, and yes we work with the parents to ensure they know how to raise respectful children at home too).

There was one lesson I learned right fast while a child, you didn't gloat to your mother with something like "that didn't hurt". Years later, I am glad I felt those lashes, they shaped character in a positive direction, just what I needed (and my siblings saw not to do things the hard way like I tried).

That's right - And you are right that the liberal school system is no longer to be trusted. In my yoot, the federal aspect had not yet taken hold, and things were pretty well run by the PTA. So the standards of the school reflected the standards of the community, rather than the standards of the federal nanny state.

The times I went to bat for my boys was nearly always due to a punishment enforcing nanny state authority... Usually over self defense or the defense of others. My boys were taught not to throw the first punch, but to throw the last one... and likewise were taught to stand up for the downtrodden. My elder son knocked a kid out for b*tch-slapping his (the kid's) girlfriend. He rose to defend a girl. Not a damn thing wrong with that. But it got him an expulsion, whittled down to a three week suspension.

I did drag the principal over his desk for that, which was the difference between the expulsion and suspension. Then it went to the lawyer. He was back in school the following monday and the school paid for my lawyer.

They'll back up if you won't back down.

Offline thackney

There was one lesson I learned right fast while a child, you didn't gloat to your mother with something like "that didn't hurt".

Yep, one and done with that.  Her reply was predictable: "wait until your father gets home".

Dad stepped up to that challenge and met it squarely.  Quite clear that lesson was.  It only took one.

Offline roamer_1

Yep, one and done with that.  Her reply was predictable: "wait until your father gets home".

Dad stepped up to that challenge and met it squarely.  Quite clear that lesson was.  It only took one.

That one was earthshaking. He noticeably referred to 'my wife' rather than 'your mother'. That puts a wholly different spin on the thing.

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
All children are unique.  Some of them are wild animals, and will only respond to threat of injury.  My 3rd grade teacher kept a paddle on his office wall, branded "Ass Buster."  He never had to use it, but I saw other teachers smack their students in front of God and everybody.  It worked.

I would say "pain" instead of "injury."
The main point is valid.  One size does NOT fit all.

I once read an article by a couple who thought parenting was easy breezy,
until their third child arrived.
Their job suddenly seemed impossible.
Every child is unique.

In terms of "carrot and stick"
lead with the carrot.
If that doesn't work, then use the stick as needed.
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Offline roamer_1

More or less. Though I do not know of any red blooded American boy of my generation who never felt the sting of the Board of Education. At least that is true around here.

Offline Sled Dog

I would say "pain" instead of "injury."

I once read an article by a couple who thought parenting was easy breezy,
until their third child arrived.
Their job suddenly seemed impossible.
Every child is unique.

In terms of "carrot and stick"
lead with the carrot.
If that doesn't work, then use the stick as needed.

Maybe those parents, and everyone else that can't figure out the metaphor, needed to be taught that the carrot is tied to the stick to dangle in front of the mule, and when the carrot no longer works, it's time to take the carrot off the stick and let the mule eat the carrot, then hang another carrot.

So many violent people these days, they can't even understand the simplest things.

My experience with the fascists in my children's school was that when the monster who lived next door to me groped my daughter in the six grade, the principal of that particular zoo tried to punish HER for following her Hapkido training and giving the boy a spinning backhand that knocked him on his ass.   They were going to suspend the girl, who was the victim, instead of the perpetrating boy, until I mentioned how profitable a lawsuit would be.   Even then, the principal decided that my daughter should be sequestered in the Math For Retards Classes, until we moved her to a different school the next year.

Do not trust fascists, not ever.

Do not ever give fascists any authority, EVER, to conduct any form of non-judicial punishments, not for any reason.

Offline thackney

Maybe those parents, and everyone else that can't figure out the metaphor, needed to be taught that the carrot is tied to the stick to dangle in front of the mule, and when the carrot no longer works, it's time to take the carrot off the stick and let the mule eat the carrot, then hang another carrot.

Of course you will have your own opinions.  But making up your own definitions to frequently used terms is silly.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/carrot-and-stick

https://wordhistories.net/2017/07/17/carrot-and-stick-origin/

https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/career-development/carrot-and-stick-motivation

Offline Sled Dog

Of course you will have your own opinions.  But making up your own definitions to frequently used terms is silly.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/carrot-and-stick

https://wordhistories.net/2017/07/17/carrot-and-stick-origin/

https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/career-development/carrot-and-stick-motivation

You never saw a picture of "The Carrot And The Stick"?

And Merriam Webster defines "them" as a singular pronoun these days.

Not my fault you don't study American metaphor and just use whatever it is the modern media shoves in your face.

My experience with the fascists in my children's school was that when the monster who lived next door to me groped my daughter in the six grade, the principal of that particular zoo tried to punish HER for following her Hapkido training and giving the boy a spinning backhand that knocked him on his ass.   They were going to suspend the girl, who was the victim, instead of the perpetrating boy, until I mentioned how profitable a lawsuit would be.   Even then, the principal decided that my daughter should be sequestered in the Math For Retards Classes, until we moved her to a different school the next year.

Your daughter made appropriate use of the "stick" part of the metaphor.

So did you, by threatening to whack the school with a lawsuit.

The principal must have flunked even the "math for retards" class.
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Offline Sled Dog

Your daughter made appropriate use of the "stick" part of the metaphor.

So did you, by threatening to whack the school with a lawsuit.

The principal must have flunked even the "math for retards" class.

Boy are you people confused and obsessed, or what?

She had neither carrot nor stick.   She was not attempting to get a Democrat to go anywhere.

She was minding her own business and was assaulted. 

The Principal was a Rodent.   It's pretty certain, as a person with an education degree, that he was not competent to tie shoelaces and chew gum at the same time, even if someone else was doing the chewing.

She had neither carrot nor stick.   She was not attempting to get a Democrat to go anywhere.

She was minding her own business and was assaulted. 

She (rightfully) attempted (and succeeded) at getting the Democrat in Training to stop assaulting her.

Apart from our differing interpretations of "carrot and stick"
I'm glad we all agree that she deserves to be celebrated for her defense of civilization.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
More or less. Though I do not know of any red blooded American boy of my generation who never felt the sting of the Board of Education. At least that is true around here.
One of the worst things to happen to children in America, besides the communist takeover of the education system, was Dr. Spock.

Offline roamer_1

One of the worst things to happen to children in America, besides the communist takeover of the education system, was Dr. Spock.

AYUP. 888high58888

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I wouldn't blame Spock, nonsense is always around, but the Media pushed his stuff, and some people lapped it up. **nononono*
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
AYUP. 888high58888

@roamer_1

I agree with that to a certain extent,but NOBODY has the right to paddle a 6  year old. Not even the parents,and ESPECIALLY not some school principal.

In FACT,I don't believe anyone but the parents have a right to apply any type of physical punishment to a child. They are CHILDREN,and adults don't need to be so casual about physical punishment.

The PARENTS have a right to do some occasional light spanking with a hand for correctional purposes if that is necessary to teach the child a lesson to get them to stop doing something dangerous,but that's it.

NO FREAKING PADDLE.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline roamer_1

@roamer_1

I agree with that to a certain extent,but NOBODY has the right to paddle a 6  year old. Not even the parents,and ESPECIALLY not some school principal.

In FACT,I don't believe anyone but the parents have a right to apply any type of physical punishment to a child. They are CHILDREN,and adults don't need to be so casual about physical punishment.

The PARENTS have a right to do some occasional light spanking with a hand for correctional purposes if that is necessary to teach the child a lesson to get them to stop doing something dangerous,but that's it.

NO FREAKING PADDLE.

I will flatly disagree @sneakypete , and  the proof is in the quality and respect in children today vs yesterday. All them whiny little shits need is a slap upside the head and an occasional ass-whuppin.

And like I said, that paddle was applied to my particular ass in school, and that was the sort of thing that kept me somewhat in line. And almost invariably, when I got home, my old man would have heard about it and I would get sommore from him.

There has to be a line, and that line has to be bright. You want to wander past 'oh hell no' there has to be a consequence.

One of the riots a while back, I think it was the one in Missouri, there was a big black mamma wailin on her kid (no doubt an erstwhile rioter) about the head and shoulders, kickin his ass all the way back to the house. Thing was, she wasn't all that tall, and her kid was late teens and full grown. And he was running ahead of her and still getting thumped.

That's a mamma, right there.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 08:15:51 am by roamer_1 »

Offline thackney

I will flatly disagree @sneakypete , and  the proof is in the quality and respect in children today vs yesterday. All them whiny little shits need is a slap upside the head and an occasional ass-whuppin...

+1