Author Topic: No Labor Shortage: 16.4M Americans Remain Jobless But Want a Full-Time Job  (Read 1301 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
No Labor Shortage: 16.4M Americans Remain Jobless But Want a Full-Time Job

John Binder 7 May 2021

Despite efforts by President Joe Biden’s administration to pack the United States workforce with more foreign labor, there remain about 16.4 million Americans who are jobless but want a full-time job and millions more who are underemployed.

In April, 9.8 million Americans were unemployed. About 12.3 percent of those unemployed were teenagers who are most likely to take minimum wage, entry-level work. In addition, about 9.7 percent of those unemployed are black Americans, while 7.9 percent are Hispanics, 5.7 percent are Asian Americans, and 5.3 percent are white Americans.

Similarly, 6.6 million Americans were not in the labor force, all of whom want a full-time job. These Americans include 1.9 million who are classified as “marginally attached to the labor force” because they had looked for a job in the last 12 months but had not looked in the last four weeks.

About 565,000 Americans who are out of the labor force are considered “discouraged workers” because they do not believe that there are jobs available for them.

In addition to those millions of jobless Americans, about 5.2 million Americans remain underemployed. These Americans are working part-time jobs but want full-time employment with good wages and competitive benefits.

The nation’s actual labor shortage is being spurred by ongoing increased unemployment benefits, not a shortage of available Americans who can fill jobs, according to Breitbart News Economics Editor John Carney:

That’s because many business owners believe that enhanced unemployment benefits, which pay an extra $300 per week, are creating a labor shortage. But that labor shortage is likely to be temporary because the American Rescue Act, passed in March, extended the enhanced benefits only through September.

That means that it is likely that in just a few months, there will be millions of more Americans willing to work for less than they will work for today.

It’s not people do not want to work or do not understand that in the long-run they are better off employed than on the dole. It’s just that right now, the enhanced unemployment benefits pay so much that workers rationally choose to take the higher income for a few more months, quite reasonably expecting they will be able to find work when the enhancement expires.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/05/07/no-labor-shortage-16-4m-americans-remain-jobless-but-want-a-full-time-job/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Hoodat

There are millions of Americans receiving big checks from the government every week.  Those checks will end the minute that they decide to take on a full time job.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

There are millions of Americans receiving big checks from the government every week.  Those checks will end the minute that they decide to take on a full time job.
Yep, Biden is the big Disincentizer Bunny.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Yep. After COVID crashed the oil patch, I could have made well over 10K more last year without any expenses, if I had just suckled the Great Teat.

But all that bureaucracy is a PITA, so I got a job instead. I don't regret it.

I'll be back to the patch in a week....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Great to hear you got a gig.

Have been counting stacked rig numbers for awhile and they appear here to be reducing in numbers.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
MY best guess is that the divorce rate is skyrocketing because of all the people out of work. Being apart for 40+ hours each week was the only thing holding them together.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Idiot

Yep. After COVID crashed the oil patch, I could have made well over 10K more last year without any expenses, if I had just suckled the Great Teat.

But all that bureaucracy is a PITA, so I got a job instead. I don't regret it.

I ended up getting a PPP loan, which was very helpful.  My CPA suggested that I file for unemployment as well, which I did, but ended up returning...only took several months to get the money returned to the correct entity. 

You are good man Joe and I'm thrilled that you are going back to work in the patch.  Here's praying is lasts a while for all of us.

Offline Hoodat

I just switched from upstream to downstream.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Good for you.

I bet you will do more learning about using gas masks and conducting safety exercises than you have ever experienced in your life.

Offline Smokin Joe

MY best guess is that the divorce rate is skyrocketing because of all the people out of work. Being apart for 40+ hours each week was the only thing holding them together.
That's part of it. Part is the stress that happens when the money to do things and buy stuff just isn't there any more. For some alcohol or drugs come into play, and for others being together THAT much is too much. Without anything to talk about (day to day stuff, who said/did what, and events not shared during the day) things can go downhill fast.

People have to have activity and time apart, too, be it a hobby, a job, or some project that provides something new.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

I ended up getting a PPP loan, which was very helpful.  My CPA suggested that I file for unemployment as well, which I did, but ended up returning...only took several months to get the money returned to the correct entity. 

You are good man Joe and I'm thrilled that you are going back to work in the patch.  Here's praying is lasts a while for all of us.
Amen to that!

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

The ability to switch from upstream/midstream/downstream and petrochem has mostly kept me employed through all the swings.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
The ability to switch from upstream/midstream/downstream and petrochem has mostly kept me employed through all the swings.

Mine was from Chemicals to integrated Refining and Chemicals due to a long string of consolidations and reorganizations.

Dreaded hearing the new tri-annual  "improvement" intitiative which was typically some acronymed shit show sold to upper management by some organizational consultant.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

.  .  .  some acronymed shit show sold to upper management by some organizational consultant.

Ah, my life story.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-