Author Topic: Automakers Cave To Biden’s Electric Car Dreams, And Ignore Their Own Customers  (Read 1463 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Automakers Cave To Biden’s Electric Car Dreams, And Ignore Their Own Customers
I & I Editorial Board
May 7, 2021

When President Joe Biden declared that he wants all cars sold to be “zero-emission” by 2035, carmakers didn’t raise a peep of protest. Worse, they are starting to fall in line with promises to go all-electric, even though the vast majority of consumers don’t want these cars.

General Motors made a big splash earlier this year when it promised to sell only electric cars by 2035.

“General Motors is joining governments and companies around the globe working to establish a safer, greener and better world,” CEO Mary Barra said days after Biden was sworn in. “We encourage others to follow suit.”

Honda later announced plans to make only battery-powered cars by 2040. Volvo said it will go all-electric by 2030. Ford said in February that it would invest at least $22 billion worldwide in the next few years to build electric vehicles.

These announcements were all greeted with Hosannas from the left (even though the overall environmental benefits of “zero-emission” cars is far from clear). But there’s one thing missing from all this cheering. The consumer.

These companies are throwing billions of dollars into researching and developing a product that consumers overwhelmingly reject.

more
https://issuesinsights.com/2021/05/07/automakers-cave-to-bidens-electric-car-dreams-and-ignore-their-own-customers/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

Where will all the electricity come from to power an all-electric auto fleet?  Places like NYC already have barely enough power to carry them through a hot summer, with only a few thousand electric vehicles.  I've seen estimates that it will require the construction of 500 to 700 new full sized nuclear power plants to support an all-electric vehicle fleet in the U.S.  Those power plants won't just spring into existence like magic; it takes years and years of planning and permitting just to get to the point of breaking ground.  Has even that process started?

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Where will all the electricity come from to power an all-electric auto fleet?  Places like NYC already have barely enough power to carry them through a hot summer, with only a few thousand electric vehicles.  I've seen estimates that it will require the construction of 500 to 700 new full sized nuclear power plants to support an all-electric vehicle fleet in the U.S.  Those power plants won't just spring into existence like magic; it takes years and years of planning and permitting just to get to the point of breaking ground.  Has even that process started?

@Kamaji

There ya go,killing the Dim buzz with facts instead of sticking to the popular fantasy.

Kill Joy!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
To its credit, Toyota has not signed onto the electric car fantasy.

I believe they made a statement to the effect that they did not see all-electric car production in their company's future. Hopefully they don't cave...

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
The Rodent states are going to be banning the sale of real cars in the near future.

Since that will only mean people will go to some American state to buy a decent vehicle, I presume that the Rodent states will then be forced to refuse to accept the registration of decent vehicles from out of state.

Which, with the soon-to-be-fudge-packed Supreme  Court, will not be considered the blatant violation of the Commerce Clause that it clearly will be.

At one time the Court ruled that the California practice of charging the registrants of out-of-state vehicles a special "pollution tax" was in violation of the Commerce Clause, and, several years after I moved to CA I was sent a letter informing me that I had to apply to the state for the refund, $600 plus interest.

Those days are over.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Barring the creation of some new battery and/or battery charging technology,I just don't see mandatory electric vehicles as being practical.

It just takes too damn long to recharge the batteries,and they just don't go that far on a charge. AND......,once they become mandatory,what is that going to do to events like your summer vacation trips when your vacation is maybe 500-600 from home,and you have to stop 2 or 3 times and wait several hours for your battery to recharge so you can get to where you are going? Compare that to how long it takes to fill your empty gas tank,and you will understand what I am talking about.

Then there is the expense of buying replacement batteries,IF you are even allowed to buy replacement batteries.

Not to mention the power draw on your local electric service when everyone gets home at 6 PM,plugs multiple cars into the electric grid,turn on their tv's,cook dinner,run the ac,etc,etc,etc. Gonna have to be a LOT of new electric power stations built!

Of course,the truth is most of this won't really be a problem because at the heart of it is the desire to move people into "Soviet Style" cities where everybody lives close to whatever plant they are assigned to work,and then ride the bus to work. It will just be too hard to deal with the difficulties of living in the suburbs and fighting the traffic every day,finding a place to plug your car in to charge while you are at work,charging it again when you get home,and paying the huge freaking electric bills.

The environmentalists just ain't going to be happy until everyone is bicycling or walking to work,and this fits in with the communist control freaks desire to move everyone to central locations where they are easier to watch and control.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Fear not, there is a solution to that charging problem whether at home or on the go and all it takes is some retro tech as envisioned by this French company. :silly:
https://electrek.co/2020/02/19/french-startup-proposes-battery-trailers-as-ad-hoc-ev-range-extenders/#:~:text=EP%20Tender%20envisions%20charging%20about,trailers%2C%20according%20to%20the%20company.

Offline Hoodat

I'm looking forward to it.  With that many electric vehicles on the road, the price of gasoline will drop to a point where I can fill my tank for $5.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I'm looking forward to it.  With that many electric vehicles on the road, the price of gasoline will drop to a point where I can fill my tank for $5.

@Hoodat

Not a chance. The government will make it illegal to register or drive a gasoline-powered vehicle,not to mention make it illegal to operate gasoline powered tools like weed-whackers and generators.

This is about control and keeping people in the cities.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Going to be interesting to see how states like CA make this work.

CA went from being a net exporter of electricity to being one of the largest importers of electricity in about 10 years due to their "green" policies. Neighboring states will soon stop exporting the power because they'll need it.

I suspect that in order to generate enough power to just keep the lights on, every square inch of desert in CA will soon be covered by solar panels and enviro whackos won't even utter a peep about it because "the environment".
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Most people in the USA cannot afford an electric car.  The government cannot afford to subsidize an industry forever!!!!!!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Most people in the USA cannot afford an electric car.  The government cannot afford to subsidize an industry forever!!!!!!

@jafo2010

The obvious solution to this problem seems to be for the goobermint to offer incentives to suburbanites to get them to move to the city in an enclave with their fellow workers that is close to their employment so they can bicycle,walk,or ride an electric bus to work,isn't it?

One incentive,of course,is to offer a nice job in a nice labor camp somewhere to those who would refuse to move. How could you possibly afford to refuse a deal like that?

And the fact that people living in one area close to one another makes it easier for the goobermint to spy on them and keep them under control would not have anything to do with the decision to move them to uber "partmint" buildings in centralized locations. Just convenience,folks. Nothing more.

And,of course,all their firearms as well as their bows and arrows would be confiscated for "public safety" because,after all,why would they need them when it would be illegal to hunt unless you were given a VERY rare hunting license?

Not to mention  your cars and motorcycles. After all,if you can walk or ride a bus to work and shop at the corner grocery store,why would you need a car or a motorcycle? Plus look at how that would help clean up the environment!

You DO want to be a good citizen,don't you?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 03:40:55 am by sneakypete »

Offline DB

Going to be interesting to see how states like CA make this work.

CA went from being a net exporter of electricity to being one of the largest importers of electricity in about 10 years due to their "green" policies. Neighboring states will soon stop exporting the power because they'll need it.

I suspect that in order to generate enough power to just keep the lights on, every square inch of desert in CA will soon be covered by solar panels and enviro whackos won't even utter a peep about it because "the environment".

Diablo Canyon Nuclear power plant is scheduled to close in the next few years. And California can barely meet demand now... Stupid on steroids...

Offline dancer

The people who support electric cars have no concept of what it takes to manufacture the needed electricity; Nor what it takes to produce a battery.  Unless Nicola Tesla's "free energy" manages to arrive, they will be up a creek without a paddle. 

Several states had rolling blackouts last summer.  The owners of those vehicles won't be going anywhere. 

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
The people who support electric cars have no concept of what it takes to manufacture the needed electricity; Nor what it takes to produce a battery.  Unless Nicola Tesla's "free energy" manages to arrive, they will be up a creek without a paddle. 

Several states had rolling blackouts last summer.  The owners of those vehicles won't be going anywhere.
Even if the electricity could be generated, without bankrupting the consumer, how is going to be transmitted without major upgrades to the grids?

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
This will help crash the economy further too.  How many folks can afford electric cars?  How many people drive roundtrip further each day than a single charge will allow?  Too many.  People cannot get financing approval for cheaper cars and we are going to sell them cars that are ten to one hundred grand more than they can afford?  I don't think so!!!

Offline mountaineer

The DC elites demonstrate once again their ignorance of and disdain for flyover country. Try to picture ranchers, farmers, truckers, et al., trying to maintain their businesses with nothing but electric vehicles and equipment.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
This will help crash the economy further too.  How many folks can afford electric cars?  How many people drive roundtrip further each day than a single charge will allow?  Too many.  People cannot get financing approval for cheaper cars and we are going to sell them cars that are ten to one hundred grand more than they can afford?  I don't think so!!!

@jafo2010

You seem to presume that anybody that wants a car is going to be allowed to own a car in our Brave New Future.

Nope. People are going to be herded into the western version of "Khrushchev Apartment blocks" in cities close to where they will be assigned to work.

Only management and the other elites will be allowed to own cars. Buses and bicycles are good enough for everyone else.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The DC elites demonstrate once again their ignorance of and disdain for flyover country. Try to picture ranchers, farmers, truckers, et al., trying to maintain their businesses with nothing but electric vehicles and equipment.

@mountaineer

WHY are you assuming individuals will be allowed to own property in fly-over country,or anywhere else? The STATE will own all the property,and THEY will be the ones who determine who lives where,and where they will work.

Offline Sled Dog

Barring the creation of some new battery and/or battery charging technology,I just don't see mandatory electric vehicles as being practical.

It just takes too damn long to recharge the batteries,and they just don't go that far on a charge. AND......,once they become mandatory,what is that going to do to events like your summer vacation trips when your vacation is maybe 500-600 from home,and you have to stop 2 or 3 times and wait several hours for your battery to recharge so you can get to where you are going? Compare that to how long it takes to fill your empty gas tank,and you will understand what I am talking about.

Then there is the expense of buying replacement batteries,IF you are even allowed to buy replacement batteries.

Not to mention the power draw on your local electric service when everyone gets home at 6 PM,plugs multiple cars into the electric grid,turn on their tv's,cook dinner,run the ac,etc,etc,etc. Gonna have to be a LOT of new electric power stations built!

Of course,the truth is most of this won't really be a problem because at the heart of it is the desire to move people into "Soviet Style" cities where everybody lives close to whatever plant they are assigned to work,and then ride the bus to work. It will just be too hard to deal with the difficulties of living in the suburbs and fighting the traffic every day,finding a place to plug your car in to charge while you are at work,charging it again when you get home,and paying the huge freaking electric bills.

The environmentalists just ain't going to be happy until everyone is bicycling or walking to work,and this fits in with the communist control freaks desire to move everyone to central locations where they are easier to watch and control.

Well, it does depend on where you live and what your daily driving routine looks like.

My personal - pre-China-Virus - driving was less than 10,000 miles a year, or say 30 miles per day.   13,000 miles is the average, let's say it's 20,000.   That means the average person would drive less than 50 miles per day, more or less.   

Those newer golf carts they have out there, the Teslas and such, they have much longer ranges, so it's not impossible for a person to use an all-electric vehicle for their driving needs if they want.    But it's not good for a weekend trip to Las Vegas from San Diego, especially not if the car's AC runs off the battery, which it must.

Setting that as a RECOMMENDED goal is fine as an advisory point the legislature or governor wanted to put out. 

Mandating this crap is a violation of all sorts of Constitutional rights.

Not for the government to DICTATE what our national infrastructure needs to be.

I have my gas-guzzling Tahoe and I'm very happy with it.  Before that it was a 1990 GMC Cargo Van, with lots of hidden horsepower and a terrifyingly huge presence among the Priuses of L.A.   Why would I want to ride in a death trap?
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline Sled Dog

@jafo2010

You seem to presume that anybody that wants a car is going to be allowed to own a car in our Brave New Future.

Nope. People are going to be herded into the western version of "Khrushchev Apartment blocks" in cities close to where they will be assigned to work.

Only management and the other elites will be allowed to own cars. Buses and bicycles are good enough for everyone else.

Private ownership of cars implies uncontrolled transport of people and their weapons.

The Rodents are much happier when they bus in the protesters and provide handy pallets of bricks for their enjoyment.    it's all under adult supervision that way.

Offline Sled Dog

Oh, don't worry.  All the farmers will be moved to Collective Farms.    Just like the Marxists did in Mother Russia.  Those were so successful, not too many people starved, comrade.

Offline mountaineer

Y'see, what we need here is a five-year plan.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sled Dog

Even if the electricity could be generated, without bankrupting the consumer, how is going to be transmitted without major upgrades to the grids?

First get the entire country in electric cars.

Destroy those old polluting fossil fuel vehicles.

Third, celebrate!  Yay, we Saved The Earth.   Have sex for Mother Gaia.

The next day, the EMP comes at dawn, China moves in.    No Red Dawn (watch only the Patrick Swayze original) because football was much to violent for today's boy-girls and girl-boys and they won't have trucks or hunting rifles, either.

Offline Sled Dog

Y'see, what we need here is a five-year plan.

Rodents plan on a two-year and four-year cycle, how best to steal the next election, how to prepare for the Chinese hand-off.

There's a reason the Rodents went Russia! Russia! Russia!

Because Russia isn't a real enemy, but the Chinese are.

Let's see...we get most of our rare-earth materials from...China.   How's the electric car industry going to work when China plays the Embargo Card?

What's really sad is that we tell the younger generation about the coming catastrophe and it's like they never heard of the 70's oil crisis or how nations really fight wars.   Almost like they were educated by anti-American communists or something.