General Category > Editorial/Opinion/Blogs

Automakers Cave To Biden’s Electric Car Dreams, And Ignore Their Own Customers

<< < (4/5) > >>

jafo2010:
This will help crash the economy further too.  How many folks can afford electric cars?  How many people drive roundtrip further each day than a single charge will allow?  Too many.  People cannot get financing approval for cheaper cars and we are going to sell them cars that are ten to one hundred grand more than they can afford?  I don't think so!!!

mountaineer:
The DC elites demonstrate once again their ignorance of and disdain for flyover country. Try to picture ranchers, farmers, truckers, et al., trying to maintain their businesses with nothing but electric vehicles and equipment.

sneakypete:

--- Quote from: jafo2010 on May 13, 2021, 07:46:53 am ---This will help crash the economy further too.  How many folks can afford electric cars?  How many people drive roundtrip further each day than a single charge will allow?  Too many.  People cannot get financing approval for cheaper cars and we are going to sell them cars that are ten to one hundred grand more than they can afford?  I don't think so!!!

--- End quote ---

@jafo2010

You seem to presume that anybody that wants a car is going to be allowed to own a car in our Brave New Future.

Nope. People are going to be herded into the western version of "Khrushchev Apartment blocks" in cities close to where they will be assigned to work.

Only management and the other elites will be allowed to own cars. Buses and bicycles are good enough for everyone else.

sneakypete:

--- Quote from: mountaineer on May 13, 2021, 12:49:41 pm ---The DC elites demonstrate once again their ignorance of and disdain for flyover country. Try to picture ranchers, farmers, truckers, et al., trying to maintain their businesses with nothing but electric vehicles and equipment.

--- End quote ---

@mountaineer

WHY are you assuming individuals will be allowed to own property in fly-over country,or anywhere else? The STATE will own all the property,and THEY will be the ones who determine who lives where,and where they will work.

Sled Dog:

--- Quote from: sneakypete on May 09, 2021, 05:21:02 am ---Barring the creation of some new battery and/or battery charging technology,I just don't see mandatory electric vehicles as being practical.

It just takes too damn long to recharge the batteries,and they just don't go that far on a charge. AND......,once they become mandatory,what is that going to do to events like your summer vacation trips when your vacation is maybe 500-600 from home,and you have to stop 2 or 3 times and wait several hours for your battery to recharge so you can get to where you are going? Compare that to how long it takes to fill your empty gas tank,and you will understand what I am talking about.

Then there is the expense of buying replacement batteries,IF you are even allowed to buy replacement batteries.

Not to mention the power draw on your local electric service when everyone gets home at 6 PM,plugs multiple cars into the electric grid,turn on their tv's,cook dinner,run the ac,etc,etc,etc. Gonna have to be a LOT of new electric power stations built!

Of course,the truth is most of this won't really be a problem because at the heart of it is the desire to move people into "Soviet Style" cities where everybody lives close to whatever plant they are assigned to work,and then ride the bus to work. It will just be too hard to deal with the difficulties of living in the suburbs and fighting the traffic every day,finding a place to plug your car in to charge while you are at work,charging it again when you get home,and paying the huge freaking electric bills.

The environmentalists just ain't going to be happy until everyone is bicycling or walking to work,and this fits in with the communist control freaks desire to move everyone to central locations where they are easier to watch and control.

--- End quote ---

Well, it does depend on where you live and what your daily driving routine looks like.

My personal - pre-China-Virus - driving was less than 10,000 miles a year, or say 30 miles per day.   13,000 miles is the average, let's say it's 20,000.   That means the average person would drive less than 50 miles per day, more or less.   

Those newer golf carts they have out there, the Teslas and such, they have much longer ranges, so it's not impossible for a person to use an all-electric vehicle for their driving needs if they want.    But it's not good for a weekend trip to Las Vegas from San Diego, especially not if the car's AC runs off the battery, which it must.

Setting that as a RECOMMENDED goal is fine as an advisory point the legislature or governor wanted to put out. 

Mandating this crap is a violation of all sorts of Constitutional rights.

Not for the government to DICTATE what our national infrastructure needs to be.

I have my gas-guzzling Tahoe and I'm very happy with it.  Before that it was a 1990 GMC Cargo Van, with lots of hidden horsepower and a terrifyingly huge presence among the Priuses of L.A.   Why would I want to ride in a death trap?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version