General Category > Editorial/Opinion/Blogs

Automakers Cave To Biden’s Electric Car Dreams, And Ignore Their Own Customers

(1/5) > >>

mystery-ak:
Automakers Cave To Biden’s Electric Car Dreams, And Ignore Their Own Customers
I & I Editorial Board
May 7, 2021

When President Joe Biden declared that he wants all cars sold to be “zero-emission” by 2035, carmakers didn’t raise a peep of protest. Worse, they are starting to fall in line with promises to go all-electric, even though the vast majority of consumers don’t want these cars.

General Motors made a big splash earlier this year when it promised to sell only electric cars by 2035.

“General Motors is joining governments and companies around the globe working to establish a safer, greener and better world,” CEO Mary Barra said days after Biden was sworn in. “We encourage others to follow suit.”

Honda later announced plans to make only battery-powered cars by 2040. Volvo said it will go all-electric by 2030. Ford said in February that it would invest at least $22 billion worldwide in the next few years to build electric vehicles.

These announcements were all greeted with Hosannas from the left (even though the overall environmental benefits of “zero-emission” cars is far from clear). But there’s one thing missing from all this cheering. The consumer.

These companies are throwing billions of dollars into researching and developing a product that consumers overwhelmingly reject.

more
https://issuesinsights.com/2021/05/07/automakers-cave-to-bidens-electric-car-dreams-and-ignore-their-own-customers/

Kamaji:
Where will all the electricity come from to power an all-electric auto fleet?  Places like NYC already have barely enough power to carry them through a hot summer, with only a few thousand electric vehicles.  I've seen estimates that it will require the construction of 500 to 700 new full sized nuclear power plants to support an all-electric vehicle fleet in the U.S.  Those power plants won't just spring into existence like magic; it takes years and years of planning and permitting just to get to the point of breaking ground.  Has even that process started?

sneakypete:

--- Quote from: Kamaji on May 07, 2021, 01:36:15 pm ---Where will all the electricity come from to power an all-electric auto fleet?  Places like NYC already have barely enough power to carry them through a hot summer, with only a few thousand electric vehicles.  I've seen estimates that it will require the construction of 500 to 700 new full sized nuclear power plants to support an all-electric vehicle fleet in the U.S.  Those power plants won't just spring into existence like magic; it takes years and years of planning and permitting just to get to the point of breaking ground.  Has even that process started?

--- End quote ---

@Kamaji

There ya go,killing the Dim buzz with facts instead of sticking to the popular fantasy.

Kill Joy!

Fishrrman:
To its credit, Toyota has not signed onto the electric car fantasy.

I believe they made a statement to the effect that they did not see all-electric car production in their company's future. Hopefully they don't cave...

Sled Dog:
The Rodent states are going to be banning the sale of real cars in the near future.

Since that will only mean people will go to some American state to buy a decent vehicle, I presume that the Rodent states will then be forced to refuse to accept the registration of decent vehicles from out of state.

Which, with the soon-to-be-fudge-packed Supreme  Court, will not be considered the blatant violation of the Commerce Clause that it clearly will be.

At one time the Court ruled that the California practice of charging the registrants of out-of-state vehicles a special "pollution tax" was in violation of the Commerce Clause, and, several years after I moved to CA I was sent a letter informing me that I had to apply to the state for the refund, $600 plus interest.

Those days are over.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version