General Category > Economy/Business

What Will You Do When Inflation Forces U.S. Households To Spend 40 Percent Of Their Incomes On Food?

<< < (2/15) > >>

IsailedawayfromFR:
Did you know that the price of corn has risen 142 percent in the last 12 months? 

Easy to change that one:

Stop making ethanol out of our food.

GtHawk:
People will finally have to be successful dieters? Remember when gas truck hijacks were the norm during the Carter years? I guess we will start hearing about grocery truck hijacks.

Idiot:

--- Quote from: GtHawk on May 07, 2021, 05:15:04 pm ---People will finally have to be successful dieters? Remember when gas truck hijacks were the norm during the Carter years? I guess we will start hearing about grocery truck hijacks.

--- End quote ---
Talked to a local house builder this past week.  He said they have to be so careful in having materials (lumber) delivered to a building location, basically what is needed just for the day, otherwise it's stolen.  Lumber prices are soooooooooo high, that it's become more of a target for thieves. 

thackney:

--- Quote from: mrpotatohead on May 07, 2021, 05:52:18 pm ---Talked to a local house builder this past week.  He said they have to be so careful in having materials (lumber) delivered to a building location, basically what is needed just for the day, otherwise it's stolen.  Lumber prices are soooooooooo high, that it's become more of a target for thieves.

--- End quote ---

Lumber (LBS)
https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/commodities/lbs

roamer_1:
Plant a garden if you can.  Raise up some chickens...

You'll feel a whole lot better with a pantry full of canned goods and a freezer full of chickens.

And if you don't count your labor, way, way cheaper.
Maybe not to start - Infrastructure costs may be limiting... You need a ton of jars and lids (that are hard to find right now)... and an automatic plucker is around 500 bucks - and you need that plucker. The first time you sit down to pluck 50 chickens, you'll know.

But that money is the best investment you could make right now. Because it ain't going to get better any time soon.

Upthread there was a bit about the poor having to spend more - That is only true in the city. Rural poor eat good. For near nothing. I am likely considered poor by now. But here is where the rubber hits the road. See, money doesn't matter near as much in a rural economy. Hell, money has never been much in a rural economy to begin with.

It was a hard thing to go back to - But at least I know how. I will spend the summer fishing and there will be at least a hundred fish dinners in the freezer by fall. And another hundred chickens... and a half-beef, and at least a deer. And a pantry full of vegetables from the garden.

Times are getting rough. Time to detach from the system while you still can.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version