Author Topic: 100 Best Sitcoms of All Time (per Rolling Stone)  (Read 1618 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
100 Best Sitcoms of All Time (per Rolling Stone)
« on: May 07, 2021, 01:35:36 am »
https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-lists/best-tv-sitcoms-1162237/

Caveat: only 1 of these predates the TV era (The Jack Benny Program). There are some Canadian and British shows on this list, too, but as you can see by the top 10, most are American shows.

10. The Larry Sanders Show
9. Parks and Recreation
8. The Honeymooners
7. The Mary Tyler Moore Show
6. M*A*S*H
5. All in the Family
4. I Love Lucy
3. Seinfeld
2. Cheers
1. The Simpsons

If you go through the whole list, you'll find quite a few headscratchers and probably come up with quite a few glaring omissions. Submitted for your discussion.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 09:57:24 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: 100 Best Sitcoms of All Time (per Rolling Stone)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 01:48:21 am »
I'll note that reading the description, they clearly did not want to rank I Love Lucy as high as they did (only commending the technical innovations and panning the comedy—also noted by the glaring omission of Ball's other sitcoms Here's Lucy and The Lucy Show).

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 01:52:03 am »
Great post @jmyrlefuller

I loved Cheers.  No Taxi, seriously? I loved the show. What about Laugh In?

Though it wasn't technically a sitcom Johnny Carson was pretty darn funny at times.

Those on the list I couldn't stand - I Love Lucy, Mash and The Simpsons.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DB

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 01:55:46 am »
Married with Children.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 02:02:39 am »
Ok.saw,Taxi on the list.

Night Court was good.  Another oe that I couldn't stand was Seinfeld.

Everybody Loves Raymond was great.

We need sitcoms back!  I'd watch TV again!

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 02:05:27 am »
Married with Children.

Ah..the Bundy's.  Hard to believe that Segal went from comedy to the action packed show Sons of Anarchy!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 02:21:02 am »
Great post @jmyrlefuller

I loved Cheers.  No Taxi, seriously? I loved the show. What about Laugh In?

Though it wasn't technically a sitcom Johnny Carson was pretty darn funny at times.

Those on the list I couldn't stand - I Love Lucy, Mash and The Simpsons.
Taxi was on the list at #17. I'm obviously not going to go through all 100 because 1) as much as lists themselves are not technically copyrightable, I don't want to push the envelope, and 2) I really don't feel like going through all 100 entries and entering them one-by-one.

I admittedly haven't seen all of the sitcoms in history, but I can say that The Golden Girls (#32) remains one of my favorites (what's not to love about old ladies sniping at each other with some of the best comebacks ever written into a television show? Heck, maybe that's why I enjoy posting here!). I have tried to watch It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (#29) but have absolutely hated it; DeVito is the only halfway amusing part of that show. I never did get Arrested Development (#15).

I liked MASH. But then again, I'm a guy. It was a well-written sitcom/comedy-drama, and as liberal as Alan Alda was/is, he and the staff eventually took that story, excised some of the more irritating characters (particularly that bumbling idiot Blake, as it proved when McLean Stevenson bombed on every show he tried after that—he even killed the Match Game!) while keeping most of the good ones and adding new characters that created a well-rounded ensemble (authoritative Potter, pompous but well-intentioned Winchester) and was able to tell some really good stories.

Seinfeld was great because it was one of the best shows at finding humor in everyday life.

Laugh-In, I'm not sure that qualified because that was more sketch comedy—but I agree, it was pretty hilarious.

The ones that I am missing, and maybe I glossed over them... but no Happy Days? No Laverne & Shirley, arguably the funniest physical comedy show since Lucy? If we start getting into the 21st century, what about That 70s Show? Then there are the family sitcoms: The Brady Bunch (formulaic and shallow, but come on, it's been on TV for 50 years in reruns), Full House (it made the filthy Bob Saget believable as a squeaky clean family man!), Boy Meets World (and its sequel Girl Meets World), Family Matters...

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 02:34:06 am »
Happy Days was great as was Laverne and Shirley.

In this crazy world we need sitcoms again.

I stopped watching TV when reality shows started and got sick of liberal news.

Offline godblessRonaldReagan

• It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 11:43:21 am »
WKRP In Cincinatti only at 79? Should be Top 10!
I, for one, welcome our feline overlords

Offline Idiot

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 02:26:12 pm »
https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-lists/best-tv-sitcoms-1162237/

Caveat: only 1 of these predates the TV era (The Jack Benny Program). There are some Canadian and British shows on this list, too, but as you can see by the top 10, most are American shows.

10. The Larry Sanders Show
9. Parks and Recreation
8. The Honeymooners
7. The Mary Tyler Moore Show
6. M*A*S*H
5. All in the Family
4. I Love Lucy
3. Seinfeld
2. Cheers
1. The Simpsons

If you go through the whole list, you'll find quite a few headscratchers and probably come up with quite a few glaring omissions (no WKRP in Cincinnati? Come on...) Submitted for your discussion.
The Simpsons...UHG...couldn't stand it. And MASH...I enjoyed it at first, then it became political and was unwatchable.  The Larry Sanders Show....never saw one episode.  WKRP....one of the best shows ever.