Author Topic: Sunday morning on a Florida beach: A naval sea mine, the U.S. Air Force and a bomb squad  (Read 125 times)

rangerrebew

Sunday morning on a Florida beach: A naval sea mine, the U.S. Air Force and a bomb squad

A naval mine washed up in Lauderdale-By-The-Sea Sunday. (Broward County Sheriff's Office/TNS)
April 11, 2021 David J. Neal - Miami Herald and Monique O. Madan - The Miami Herald

Part of the beach in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea was closed most of Sunday morning after a naval sea mine washed ashore.

Broward Sheriff’s Office said a deputy spotted the mine — which had “inert” and “property of US Navy” written on it — around 2:30 a.m. After BSO determined it was a “possible military explosive device,” the bomb squad was called along with the U.S. Air Force.

They subsequently figured out the mine was safe and moved it. The area of the beach where it was found, near the north end of El Mar Drive, remained shut down until about 10:15 a.m.

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2021/04/sunday-morning-on-a-broward-beach-a-naval-sea-mine-the-u-s-air-force-and-a-bomb-squad/