Author Topic: Origin of Covid — Following the Clues  (Read 2659 times)

Offline PeteS in CA

Origin of Covid — Following the Clues
« on: May 05, 2021, 11:52:15 pm »
Origin of Covid — Following the Clues

https://nicholaswade.medium.com/origin-of-covid-following-the-clues-6f03564c038

The Covid-19 pandemic has disrupted lives the world over for more than a year. Its death toll will soon reach three million people. Yet the origin of pandemic remains uncertain: the political agendas of governments and scientists have generated thick clouds of obfuscation, which the mainstream press seems helpless to dispel.
In what follows I will sort through the available scientific facts, which hold many clues as to what happened, and provide readers with the evidence to make their own judgments. I will then try to assess the complex issue of blame, which starts with, but extends far beyond, the government of China.

By the end of this article, you may have learned a lot about the molecular biology of viruses. I will try to keep this process as painless as possible. But the science cannot be avoided because for now, and probably for a long time hence, it offers the only sure thread through the maze.

The virus that caused the pandemic is known officially as SARS-CoV-2, but can be called SARS2 for short. As many people know, there are two main theories about its origin. One is that it jumped naturally from wildlife to people. The other is that the virus was under study in a lab, from which it escaped. It matters a great deal which is the case if we hope to prevent a second such occurrence.

I’ll describe the two theories, explain why each is plausible, and then ask which provides the better explanation of the available facts. It’s important to note that so far there is no direct evidence for either theory. Each depends on a set of reasonable conjectures but so far lacks proof. So I have only clues, not conclusions, to offer. But those clues point in a specific direction. And having inferred that direction, I’m going to delineate some of the strands in this tangled skein of disaster.

This is a VERY long article, and it goes into a lot of details. I'll try to give its conclusions regarding certain key questions:

* Spread from the wild or escaped from the Wuhan Institute of Virology lab? Most likely escaped from the lab.

* Virus from the wild escaped or gain-of-function virus escaped? Most likely a gain-of-function virus escapee.

* Gain-of-function for scientific research or for military research? Not answered or conjectured.

Why most likely from the lab? No natural source or chain of crossover has been discovered. Wuhan's SARS/MERS research was being done in a somewhat minimal safety measures environment.

Why is SARS2 most likely created by gain-of-function experimentation? No natural source has been discovered. Gain-of-function research was being done in Wuhan (as well as elsewhere). The SARS2 virus spike protein has characteristics unlike any known coronavirus.

Why no conclusion or conjecture regarding civilian vs. military? Gain of function is, potentially, dual use. Both civilian and military research was being done in Wuhan, but whether the military was in any way involved in gain-of-function research is a closely guarded secret not likely to become known.

The article is well worth the 3/4 - 1 hour read. My summary does very poor justice to its wealth of details.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

BassWrangler

Re: Origin of Covid — Following the Clues
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 12:17:11 am »
@PeteS in CA - thanks for posting this. Looking forward to reading it tonight.

BassWrangler

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 12:54:57 am »
Dr. Daszak was possibly unaware of, or perhaps he knew all too well, the long history of viruses escaping from even the best run laboratories. The smallpox virus escaped three times from labs in England in the 1960’s and 1970’s, causing 80 cases and 3 deaths. Dangerous viruses have leaked out of labs almost every year since. Coming to more recent times, the SARS1 virus has proved a true escape artist, leaking from laboratories in Singapore, Taiwan, and no less than four times from the Chinese National Institute of Virology in Beijing.

I think about how sloppy and the utter disregard for customers that most Chinese manufacturing companies have. You have to watch them like a hawk - not just during ramp up of production, but afterwards. You can literally have them producing a great product with great QC, but then look away for a month and they will start replacing genuine components with counterfeit ones, cutting corners, etc. They just have a different standard of morals than Americans (at least those of my generation and generations prior). To give a country like this the technology to produce novel, lethal viruses, and then expect them not to f*ck it up is just insane.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 04:41:47 am »
A SARS-like cluster of circulating bat coronaviruses shows potential for human emergence

ttps://www.nature.com/articles/nm.3985

Note these two authors:  Xing-Yi Ge is from
Xing-Yi Ge

Key Laboratory of Special Pathogens and Biosafety, Wuhan Institute of Virology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Wuhan, China
and  Zhengli-Li Shi
Zhengli-Li Shi

Key Laboratory of Special Pathogens and Biosafety, Wuhan Institute of Virology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Wuhan, China

The research was carried out at UNC Chapel Hill in 2014, and written up in 2015, after the research had been moved to the Wuhan Institute of Virology. Funding by NIAID (under Dr. Fauci) continued for the project in China.

From the abstract of the Article:
Using the SARS-CoV reverse genetics system2, we generated and characterized a chimeric virus expressing the spike of bat coronavirus SHC014 in a mouse-adapted SARS-CoV backbone. The results indicate that group 2b viruses encoding the SHC014 spike in a wild-type backbone can efficiently use multiple orthologs of the SARS receptor human angiotensin converting enzyme II (ACE2), replicate efficiently in primary human airway cells and achieve in vitro titers equivalent to epidemic strains of SARS-CoV. Additionally, in vivo experiments demonstrate replication of the chimeric virus in mouse lung with notable pathogenesis. Evaluation of available SARS-based immune-therapeutic and prophylactic modalities revealed poor efficacy; both monoclonal antibody and vaccine approaches failed to neutralize and protect from infection with CoVs using the novel spike protein. On the basis of these findings, we synthetically re-derived an infectious full-length SHC014 recombinant virus and demonstrate robust viral replication both in vitro and in vivo. Our work suggests a potential risk of SARS-CoV re-emergence from viruses currently circulating in bat populations.

This pretty much describes the effects of and pathogenicity of SARS-CoV-2, the active agent in COVID-19.

This is old information, posted on this site a year or so ago.  It never was "conspiracy theory", and I never have said whether the release from the lab was intentional or accidental, just that it sure was well timed for the PRC and PLA interests, not to mention a tailor made crisis (no pun intended) for the Democrats to use.

We have to look at the wider picture, and I believe we are fully involved in asymmetric warfare with the Chinese, whether we know it or not. They do, and they are kicking the world's butt, with the help of the quislings in the West and elsewhere.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 04:48:00 am »
A SARS-like cluster of circulating bat coronaviruses shows potential for human emergence

ttps://www.nature.com/articles/nm.3985

Note these two authors:  Xing-Yi Ge is from and  Zhengli-Li Shi
The research was carried out at UNC Chapel Hill in 2014, and written up in 2015, after the research had been moved to the Wuhan Institute of Virology. Funding by NIAID (under Dr. Fauci) continued for the project in China.

From the abstract of the Article:
This pretty much describes the effects of and pathogenicity of SARS-CoV-2, the active agent in COVID-19.

This is old information, posted on this site a year or so ago.  It never was "conspiracy theory", and I never have said whether the release from the lab was intentional or accidental, just that it sure was well timed for the PRC and PLA interests, not to mention a tailor made crisis (no pun intended) for the Democrats to use.

We have to look at the wider picture, and I believe we are fully involved in asymmetric warfare with the Chinese, whether we know it or not. They do, and they are kicking the world's butt, with the help of the quislings in the West and elsewhere.

Fauci's involvement and the timing of Biden's nomination around the time the pandemic was discovered is all that's needed to connect the dots.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 05:06:20 am »
Fauci's involvement and the timing of Biden's nomination around the time the pandemic was discovered is all that's needed to connect the dots.
And they connect very well.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

BassWrangler

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 05:24:17 am »
This is a really good article. Well worth the time to read it.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 05:57:03 am »
This is a really good article. Well worth the time to read it.
Yes, it is, partly because it explains the patent unlikeliness of the furin cleavage site as a natural phenomenon as expressed in SARS-CoV-2.

It leans heavily toward the release being the result of incompetence or carelessness (improperly followed BSL-4 protocols), rather than intentional, and that may well be the case. However, the actions of the Chinese Government afterwards would indicate that they knew they had an incident that would work in their favor if they played it right, even if the timing was coincidental.

It is those actions, destroying samples, hiding/destroying records, the 'wet market' scenario--then being cleansed as if to destroy a crime scene (rendering verification or refutation of that source impossible), the initial actions in re: transmissibility, the failure to restrict international travel even while internal travel was restricted, etc., all, collectively, tend to skew one's opinion toward the possibility that these actions, if not the actual release, were rooted in malice and the ability to use the event in their favor if they identified and utilized human resources in high places to do so.

Considering that Trump was the single most difficult world figure for the Chinese to deal with at the time, and that the rest of the leaders around the globe were taking cues from Trump, using the pandemic (if not the generation or fostering the development thereof) to harm him politically in favor of more amenable office holders is a thought that has certainly worked in their favor so far, and will continue to do so for the rest of the present Administration.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 05:57:40 am »
And we have our government fully engaged in burying the treachery of the Chinese government that inflicted this on the world.

Let that sink in.

It is corrupt to the core.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 06:44:18 am »
And we have our government fully engaged in burying the treachery of the Chinese government that inflicted this on the world.

Let that sink in.

It is corrupt to the core.
That is a connection I made long ago, when the steal was happening.The Democrats were far too smug for an honest election, and someone had their back. Considering Google had spent years developing information control technique in China, to see that on the web from search engines and in the media was no real surprise after decades of media bias.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2021, 12:15:16 pm »
Thanks for the article.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2021, 04:59:51 pm »
... both monoclonal antibody and vaccine approaches failed to neutralize and protect from infection with CoVs using the novel spike protein. ...

While correct in 2014, with existing technologies and medications, there now are multiple monoclonal antibody treatments available that are effective (e.g. Eli Lilly/AbCellera and Regeneron), and there are vaccines that have been proven effective.

This has been available from the US Government - and linked here on TBR - for over a year, https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/R/R46354 . At 54 pages, it's not brief, and it is copiously footnoted with sources. For the most part, the buriers have Ds after their names.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2021, 07:24:47 pm »

Reading for those who can't sleep at night.

TheAnalysis of Six Patients With Severe Pneumonia CausedBy Unknown Viruses - May, 2013 https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6981198-Analysis-of-Six-Patients-With-Unknown-Viruses.html

Is Bat coronavirus 4991 a smoking gun in China’s COVID-19 cover-up? Apr 27, 2020 - https://www.wionews.com/opinions-blogs/is-bat-coronavirus-4991-a-smoking-gun-in-chinas-covid-19-cover-up-294760

The Case Is Building That COVID-19 Had a Lab Origin - June 2, 2020 https://www.independentsciencenews.org/health/the-case-is-building-that-covid-19-had-a-lab-origin/

A Proposed Origin for SARS-CoV-2 and the COVID-19 Pandemic - July 15, 2020 https://www.independentsciencenews.org/commentaries/a-proposed-origin-for-sars-cov-2-and-the-covid-19-pandemic/

Lethal Pneumonia Cases in Mojiang Miners (2012) and the Mineshaft Could Provide Important Clues to the Origin of SARS-CoV-2 - 20 October 2020 https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpubh.2020.581569/full

Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2021, 08:12:26 pm »
That was a sobering read.  Even scarier is reading some of the scientific articles that have dared to challenge the orthodoxy of the virus researchers (for whom the consensus is:  nothing to see here, it jumped naturally from bats to humans).

What the hell are our governments doing allowing - nay, subsidizing - people to create lethal viruses from natural viruses that either have little affinity for humans, or only a weak affinity to humans?  And doing so in biohazard containment systems that one paper I read characterized as being only slightly more secure than your average dental practice?

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2021, 10:35:23 pm »
That was a sobering read.  Even scarier is reading some of the scientific articles that have dared to challenge the orthodoxy of the virus researchers (for whom the consensus is:  nothing to see here, it jumped naturally from bats to humans).

What the hell are our governments doing allowing - nay, subsidizing - people to create lethal viruses from natural viruses that either have little affinity for humans, or only a weak affinity to humans?  And doing so in biohazard containment systems that one paper I read characterized as being only slightly more secure than your average dental practice?

This Frankenstein's monster appears to have been a virus. Unfortunately, their monster does not appear to have hunted down its creator the way Victor Frankenstein's monster did him.

Offline Skull

Origin of Covid
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2021, 02:14:32 pm »
A long, technical and revealing piece on the players & science involved, CDC etcetera:

https://nicholaswade.medium.com/origin-of-covid-following-the-clues-6f03564c038

The Covid-19 pandemic has disrupted lives the world over for more than a year. Its death toll will soon reach three million people. Yet the origin of pandemic remains uncertain: the political agendas of governments and scientists have generated thick clouds of obfuscation, which the mainstream press seems helpless to dispel.

In what follows I will sort through the available scientific facts, which hold many clues as to what happened, and provide readers with the evidence to make their own judgments. I will then try to assess the complex issue of blame, which starts with, but extends far beyond, the government of China.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 02:15:28 pm by Skull »
Truth is against the stream of common thought, deep, subtle, difficult, delicate, unseen by passion’s slaves cloaked in the murk of ignorance. Vipassī Buddha

Offline Skull

Re: Origin of Covid
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2021, 02:30:40 pm »
Here is Wade's shorter piece in the NY Post:

https://nypost.com/2021/05/09/theory-that-covid-escaped-from-a-lab-may-not-be-far-fetched

There are two theories about the origin of SARS2, as the virus can be called for short. One is that it jumped naturally from bats to people, as the SARS1 epidemic did in 2002. The other is that it escaped from an experiment in the Wuhan Institute of Virology, China’s leading center of research on bat-type viruses.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 02:34:04 pm by Skull »
Truth is against the stream of common thought, deep, subtle, difficult, delicate, unseen by passion’s slaves cloaked in the murk of ignorance. Vipassī Buddha

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2021, 06:46:54 pm »
Here is Wade's shorter piece in the NY Post:

https://nypost.com/2021/05/09/theory-that-covid-escaped-from-a-lab-may-not-be-far-fetched
I have been saying the second of those is the most likely source for a year now.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2021, 07:02:42 pm »
I have been saying the second of those is the most likely source for a year now.

You are not alone.

Offline Skull

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2021, 08:35:29 pm »
As have I and many here. 
But the point of putting Wade's piece out is to show us that, however slowly, the facts and truth are filtering out beyond our Deplorable arenas.  He was a NY Times Science reporter for decades, so he is respected in Left & Dem circles.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2021, 09:03:02 pm »
As have I and many here. 
But the point of putting Wade's piece out is to show us that, however slowly, the facts and truth are filtering out beyond our Deplorable arenas.  He was a NY Times Science reporter for decades, so he is respected in Left & Dem circles.

A lot of this information has been "out there" and available for over a year, https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/R/R46354 . MSM folk simply gave it little or no coverage. So the "filtering out", IMO, is only happening because Trump is no longer President.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2021, 09:10:49 pm »
A lot of this information has been "out there" and available for over a year, https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/R/R46354 . MSM folk simply gave it little or no coverage. So the "filtering out", IMO, is only happening because Trump is no longer President.
Yep. Hydroxychloroquine/Azithromycin/Zinc as an early onset treatment were attacked for political reasons despite efficacy, and even that will be slower filtering out because of the hundreds of thousands of lives unnecessarily lost over the politics and politically biased "science" done to support it, the glaring flaws in which were patently obvious. Similarly, Ivermectin/Doxycycline/Zinc has been suppressed in the MSM as an early onset treatment and even a prophylactic regimen in favor of promoting lockdowns and other draconian measures which have been of questionable efficacy against anything but the economy and the middle class.

If the American people knew the whole story, there'd be blood in the streets.

C S Lewis

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2021, 09:39:56 pm »
Yep. Hydroxychloroquine/Azithromycin/Zinc as an early onset treatment were attacked for political reasons despite efficacy, and even that will be slower filtering out because of the hundreds of thousands of lives unnecessarily lost over the politics and politically biased "science" done to support it, the glaring flaws in which were patently obvious. Similarly, Ivermectin/Doxycycline/Zinc has been suppressed in the MSM as an early onset treatment and even a prophylactic regimen in favor of promoting lockdowns and other draconian measures which have been of questionable efficacy against anything but the economy and the middle class.

If the American people knew the whole story, there'd be blood in the streets.

The "tests" done a year ago of the HCQ regime were done either on mostly desperate cases or on hospitalized people with a full range of statuses. With malignantly or stupidly, these were the perfectly wrong people for testing the regime. HCQ & etc., works best very early in the infection process, because it hinders infection and spread.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2021, 09:44:08 pm »
The "tests" done a year ago of the HCQ regime were done either on mostly desperate cases or on hospitalized people with a full range of statuses. With malignantly or stupidly, these were the perfectly wrong people for testing the regime. HCQ & etc., works best very early in the infection process, because it hinders infection and spread.
Yes, but only if the zinc is present. Every one of those studies I read left the zinc out of the regimen, in addition to administering the partial regimen or just the HCQ to patients who were in the later stages of the disease.

Zelenko recommended beginning the treatment at the first onset of symptoms, without waiting for test results, and that was apparently very effective at preventing more advanced cases and hospitalization.

Policies of isolating and waiting for test results only gave the disease a chance to progress to the level where serious measures would be necessary.

C S Lewis

Offline Skull

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2021, 11:12:42 pm »
So the "filtering out", IMO, is only happening because Trump is no longer President.

Which tells you what?