Author Topic: Snubbed by Greater Houston Partnership, 175 business leaders raise alarm about Texas voting bills  (Read 799 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by Zach Despart 5/4/2021

Snubbed by Greater Houston Partnership, 175 business leaders raise alarm about Texas voting bills

A group of 175 business leaders sent a letter to House Speaker Dade Phelan Tuesday morning opposing several key provisions of the voting bills being debated in the Texas Legislature, which they said would add unacceptable barriers for Houston-area residents to cast a ballot.

It raises alarm over provisions that would move polling sites away from Houston’s urban core, limit voting hours, ban drive-thru voting, remove restrictions on poll watchers, streamline voter roll purges and add a host of criminal penalties for poll workers and local election officials found in violation of the Texas Election Code.

“These provisions, among others, will inevitably damage our competitiveness in attracting businesses and workers to Houston,” the letter states. “Especially as we aim to attract major conferences and sporting events, including the FIFA World Cup, voter suppression is a stain on our reputation that could cost our region millions of dollars.”

The Republican lawmakers who wrote the legislation say the bills are needed to make elections more secure, though voter fraud in Texas elections is extremely rare. Several of the proposals take aim at rolling back efforts Harris County made in 2020 to make voting easier.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/houston/article/Greater-Houston-Partnership-business-leader-voting-16149908.php

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

It raises alarm over provisions that would move polling sites away from Houston’s urban core, limit voting hours, ban drive-thru voting, remove restrictions on poll watchers, streamline voter roll purges and add a host of criminal penalties for poll workers and local election officials found in violation of the Texas Election Code.

Why would people not support these to mitigate voter fraud unless you are the one supporting fraud in the first place?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

Why won't these "business leaders" list the name of their business?  I want to know which to avoid.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Why won't these "business leaders" list the name of their business?  I want to know which to avoid.

https://www.houston.org/membership/directory

Offline thackney

https://www.houston.org/membership/directory

But this did not come from the entire organization.  Select members together wrote this outside of the group.  The avoided bring it to the group to decide.

...Harvey sent a message to all 136 board members the following day, in which he reported receiving feedback from some urging the partnership not to take a stance on the voting bills. Harvey wrote since “it is clear there is not a consensus” on the issue, the board would not convene a special meeting.

He noted the board has a formal structure to develop policy positions, aided by the work of committees....
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 01:17:34 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Hard to have a Business partnership without customers.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline GrouchoTex

I hadn't heard this list, either.