Author Topic: Google to power Virginia data centers with 24/7 clean energy using AES batteries  (Read 683 times)

Offline thackney

Google to power Virginia data centers with 24/7 clean energy using AES batteries
https://www.utilitydive.com/news/google-to-power-virginia-data-centers-with-247-clean-energy-using-aes-batt/599506/
May 4, 2021

AES announced on Tuesday a 10-year agreement to be the sole supplier of energy to three Google data centers in Virginia, providing clean power around the clock through a 500-MW portfolio of resources.

Through the partnership, AES will decarbonize Google's load in Virginia. The partnership "lays a blueprint for other companies looking to decarbonize their own operations," Michael Terrell, Google's director of energy, said in a statement.

AES assembled a portfolio of its own projects and renewable generation by third-party developers, simplifying cost-efficient procurement for the tech company, it said. Part of the portfolio will be new renewable energy projects located in Virginia, according to Gail Chalef, global external relations senior manager at AES.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Once again, no costs, no economics.

The Green agenda operates outside the real world.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online rustynail

The new self-charging batteries?

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I wonder how large the solar and wind farms will have to be to supply the green energy to charge those batteries? And how not green are they actually when the mining of materials and dirty energy to produce the solar panels, wind turbines and batteries is considered. And why do I have the sneaky suspicion that there will be a connection to the grid for when those green energy generators fail to deliver.

Offline thackney

I wonder how large the solar and wind farms will have to be to supply the green energy to charge those batteries? And how not green are they actually when the mining of materials and dirty energy to produce the solar panels, wind turbines and batteries is considered. And why do I have the sneaky suspicion that there will be a connection to the grid for when those green energy generators fail to deliver.

This is through the grid.  The batteries and power suppliers used by AES are through grid connections.  They just have to have input equal to output.

https://www.power-eng.com/emissions/aes-pooling-clean-energy-resources-to-power-google-data-centers/

...AES will source the energy needed from a portfolio of wind, solar, hydro and battery storage which will be developed or contracted by the utility. The utility will ensure the energy powering those data centers will be 90% carbon-free when measured on an hourly basis...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 07:32:39 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer