Author Topic: U.S. approves massive solar project in California desert  (Read 1510 times)

Offline thackney

U.S. approves massive solar project in California desert
« on: May 04, 2021, 12:36:31 pm »
U.S. approves massive solar project in California desert
https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/us-approves-massive-solar-project-california-desert-2021-05-03/
May 3, 2021

The Biden administration on Monday said it has approved a major solar energy project in the California desert that will be capable of powering nearly 90,000 homes.

The $550 million Crimson Solar Project will be sited on 2,000 acres of federal land west of Blythe, California, the Interior Department said in a statement. It is being developed by Canadian Solar (CSIQ.O) unit Recurrent Energy and will deliver power to California utility Southern California Edison.....

...The project will include a battery storage system and will be sited on land designated for renewable energy development by the Desert Renewable Energy Conservation Plan, an agreement hatched between the state of California and the Obama administration that set aside areas for wind and solar projects....

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

Re: U.S. approves massive solar project in California desert
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 12:39:47 pm »
https://blmsolar.anl.gov/sez/ca/news/

The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Palm Springs-South Coast Field Office is initiating environmental review and seeking public scoping comments on an environmental analysis and land-use plan amendment for Oberon Solar, a proposed 500-megwatt photovoltaic solar project on 4,700-acres of BLM-managed public lands in eastern Riverside County. IP Land Holdings, LLC, seeks authorization to construct the project, which also includes battery storage and interconnecting power lines....

- - - - - - - - - -

https://eplanning.blm.gov/eplanning-ui/project/2001226/510

Project Facility Description:

Solar Facility: The proposed Project would produce up to 500 MW solar photovoltaic generation and integrated energy storage facility located near Desert Center, California that would interconnect to Southern California Edison’s (SCE) 500 kilovolt (kV) Red Bluff Substation via one new 500 kV gen-tie line.

Substation: A project substation yard, located in the southeastern corner of the project area, would transform or “step up” the voltage from 34.5 kV to 500 kV. The area of the substation yard and associated equipment would be approximately 120,000 square feet (300 feet by 400 feet). The 500 kV substation would collect consolidated intermediate voltage cables from the medium voltage and PV collector system. Electrical transformers, switchgear, and related substation facilities would be designed and constructed to transform medium-voltage power from the Project’s delivery system to the 500 kV SCE system.

Battery Storage Facility: The Project would include a battery, flywheel, or other similar storage system capable of storing up to 500 MW of power. If provided, the storage system would consist of battery, flywheel banks, or other similar storage technology housed in electrical enclosures and buried electrical cable. The battery system would be concentrated near the Project switching station on approximately 20 acres in the southeastern area of the Project site.

Operation and maintenance building and ancillary facilities: A new O&M building would be constructed at the project site. The facility would be designed for project security, employee offices, and parts storage. The O&M building would be approximately 3,000 square feet in size.  The facility would be designed with a comprehensive Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition System (SCADA) system to allow remote monitoring of facility operation and/or remote control of critical components.  Electrical power for the O&M building and substation would be supplied via a new overhead or underground 12 kV distribution line from the existing SCE distribution system adjacent to the solar facility site. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 12:42:37 pm by thackney »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 01:17:39 pm »
A CANADIAN company developing it?

How does that give Americans jobs?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 01:19:49 pm »
A CANADIAN company developing it?

How does that give Americans jobs?

The same way TC Energy (was TransCanada) pipelines give American jobs.

Not everyone working the project will be Canadian.  Most of the people working there will be US citizens.

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 01:43:48 pm »
The same way TC Energy (was TransCanada) pipelines give American jobs.

Not everyone working the project will be Canadian.  Most of the people working there will be US citizens.
Quite a way to start shoring up on American infrastructure.

By shutting down American drilling rigs, throwing many thousands of Americans out of work, hurting American manufacturers who make the oilfield equipment needed to drill, operate and process the oil and gas, then turning around to pay a non-American company to come in with mostly foreign equipment and partially staffed with foreign workers that make money on American soil so they can return it their homeland.  Not to mention the lessening of income streams to America in the form of mineral taxes, royalties.

Makes sense, doesn't it?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 01:44:57 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 09:02:28 am »
I remember when the California deserts were the religious property of the Envirowhackos, who would try to stifle all development to protect a beetle whose claim to fame was that it allegedly had the largest penis of any beetle, or some such nonsense.

Now the Rodents are creating vast bird crematoria.

I assume they plan on eventually installing industrial capacity trebuchets to incinerate pesky conservatives, too.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 11:25:41 am »
...vast bird crematoria....

?????

This is not a solar thermal system like Ivanpah.  This is photovoltaic panels.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 01:46:44 pm »
?????

With photovoltaic cells only the Desert Tortoise is endangered.   :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline thackney

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 02:05:06 pm »
With photovoltaic cells only the Desert Tortoise is endangered.   :shrug:

Only if you pick him up or otherwise disturb them and they pee.

The operating panels themselves do not create a danger.

I had several pipeline construction jobs shut down by the dreaded tortoise.  Having one crawl under your truck for shade often meant needing someone to give you a ride back to the hotel and in the morning.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 02:07:59 pm »
?????

Well, at least they can put some of those new "immigrants" to work as window washers to keep them clean.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Skull

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2021, 02:39:51 pm »
Like the vast wind farms, these ugly & bizarre contraptions destroy the desert.  Another instance of rural blight.
Truth is against the stream of common thought, deep, subtle, difficult, delicate, unseen by passion’s slaves cloaked in the murk of ignorance. Vipassī Buddha

Offline DB

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2021, 02:46:53 pm »
Another example of how to spend taxpayer money to increase the cost of your energy bill...

Our standard of living is in a nose dive.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2021, 07:59:02 pm »
Like the vast wind farms, these ugly & bizarre contraptions destroy the desert.  Another instance of rural blight.
Hey just so long as citizens don't enjoy that desert riding motorcycles and quads, because don't you know we will disturb nature. Only solar, wind farms and Gaia worshipers that pack out their excrement and used toilet paper are allowed on the peoples land.

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2021, 09:01:39 pm »
?????

Oh, so it's a vast Bird Blinding operation, instead.   Either way, the end product is dead birds and expensive electricity.

And it's damaging a delicate desert ecosystem, too.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline thackney

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2021, 09:05:33 pm »
Oh, so it's a vast Bird Blinding operation, instead.   Either way, the end product is dead birds and expensive electricity.

And it's damaging a delicate desert ecosystem, too.

How does it make birds go blind and kill them?

My neighbor has a decent sized (17kW) PV system.  Dead birds are not to be found.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2021, 09:17:55 pm »
How does it make birds go blind and kill them?

My neighbor has a decent sized (17kW) PV system.  Dead birds are not to be found.

The reason we question the dead birds and tortoises is because that's the language we are forced to use by the virulent leftists.  They don't care anything for people, so we defend the animals as the leftists do.

It's the ocean in which we are force to swim.  :shrug:

Nobody gives a shit we're destroying our economy.  And I mean nobody.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline thackney

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2021, 01:39:58 pm »
The reason we question the dead birds and tortoises is because that's the language we are forced to use by the virulent leftists.  They don't care anything for people, so we defend the animals as the leftists do.

I don't let leftists define how I respond and think.  They do not get to define me.

Birds fly into everything.  They kill themselves on coal plants and gas plants just as well. 

Hard to take such complaints serious while ignoring cats and buildings, where most of them die.

It's the ocean in which we are force to swim.  :shrug:

Nope, I am not forced to become a leftist and follow their line of (no) thought.

Nobody gives a shit we're destroying our economy.  And I mean nobody.

BS.  No subsidies for developed technology to social engineer.  I am not changing that stance because it becomes unpopular.  Government ALWAYS screws it up when they pick winners and losers.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2021, 01:57:44 pm »
@thackney Good for you.   :hattip:

We swim in different oceans.  I make no apology for my position, or my ocean.
I will NOT comply.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2021, 02:40:04 pm »
What about other endangered flora and fauna?

I hope they don't build on an old Native American burying ground.  That never ends well.
Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline thackney

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2021, 05:40:20 pm »
@thackney Good for you.   :hattip:

We swim in different oceans.  I make no apology for my position, or my ocean.

You have no reason to apologize (as you well know).  It would be a very boring place if everyone agreed on everything.  I appreciate the discussion.

Cheers!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2021, 09:32:20 pm »
You have no reason to apologize (as you well know).  It would be a very boring place if everyone agreed on everything.  I appreciate the discussion.

Cheers!

:beer: :yowsa:
I will NOT comply.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2021, 09:53:20 pm »
How much will their lease be on 2,000 acres of federal land?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2021, 10:02:30 pm »
This is California.

The "massive solar project" is very likely to perform far below expectations or fail altogether. If it ever gets into operation in the first place.

Again, it's California, folks.
Who really cares about that state, the people in it, or what happens to them?

(I realize there are members of this forum who live there, they should get out while that's still possible. Someday, it no longer may be...)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2021, 04:33:46 am »
Solyndra, Mk II. It'd another reallocation of your money.

Shut down oil leases (which lease minerals under thousands of acres of ground, but can extract them using 1/10% of that surface area (or less).

Cover thousands of acres of desert with solar panels, instead...disrupting the flora and fauna in most all of it.

The only green I see involved is changing hands, somewhere.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2021, 02:25:35 am »
Solyndra, Mk II. It'd another reallocation of your money.

Shut down oil leases (which lease minerals under thousands of acres of ground, but can extract them using 1/10% of that surface area (or less).

Cover thousands of acres of desert with solar panels, instead...disrupting the flora and fauna in most all of it.

The only green I see involved is changing hands, somewhere.
All true.

And hugely financially weaker replacing hydrocarbons with renewables as private and public mineral royalties are gone, as well as severance taxes.  These effects are missing when the costs and value of renewables are calculated compared to oil and gas.