Author Topic: New York’s Indian Point nuclear power plant closes after 59 years of operation  (Read 1143 times)

Offline thackney

New York’s Indian Point nuclear power plant closes after 59 years of operation
https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=47776
APRIL 30, 2021

The Indian Point Energy Center (Indian Point) permanently stopped generating electricity on April 30, 2021, when it retired its last operating nuclear reactor, Unit 3, earlier than originally planned. The Indian Point nuclear power plant began operations in 1962 and produced over 565 terawatthours (TWh) of electricity in the 59 years it was open. The Unit 3 retirement removes almost 1,040 megawatts (MW) of nuclear generating capacity from New York State, leaving about 3,200 MW of remaining nuclear capacity at three plants in upstate New York.

Indian Point is located in Buchanan, New York, about 25 miles north of Midtown Manhattan. The plant had three pressurized water reactors. Unit 1 began operations in 1962 and shut down in 1974. Units 2 and 3 began operations in 1974 and 1976, respectively; Unit 2 retired in April 2020. The Consolidated Edison grid system distributed the plant’s electricity to the five boroughs of New York City and neighboring Westchester County.

Three natural gas-fired power plants have been introduced over the past three years to help support the electric supply needed by New York City that Indian Point had been providing: Bayonne Energy Center II (120 MW), CPV Valley Energy Center (678 MW), and Cricket Valley Energy Center (1,020 MW).

Nuclear reactors do not produce carbon emissions while operating. New York’s 2019 Clean Energy Standard (CES) requires utilities and other retail electricity suppliers in the state to obtain 100% of the electricity they sell from carbon-free sources by 2040. In addition to renewables such as wind and solar, New York’s CES recognizes nuclear power plants as zero emission resources.

Indian Point Unit 3 was one of New York’s 10 largest electricity generators; it produced over 270 TWh of carbon-free electricity since it began operating. Because of Indian Point Unit 3’s retirement, a large amount of new carbon-free generating capacity will need to come online to help meet the state’s CES goal.

Indian Point’s owner-operator, Entergy, retired Units 2 and 3 before their operating licenses expired as part of a settlement agreement with New York State. Entergy had been seeking a 20-year license renewal for both reactor units since 2007. However, New York challenged the renewals, citing environmental and safety concerns resulting from the plant’s nearness to New York City. Low wholesale electricity prices and increased operating costs also contributed to Entergy’s decision to retire Indian Point early.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Kamaji

NYC will still have brownout problems, and that's even without any new electric cars. 

Offline thackney

...The Unit 2 reactor shut down exactly a year ago under a 2017 agreement among the Cuomo administration, Riverkeeper and the plant's operator, Entergy Corp. Unit 3's shutdown under the same agreement paves the way for a decommissioning that is projected to cost $2.3 billion and take at least 12 years. The tall twin domes visible from the river will eventually be demolished.

The two reactors, which went online two years apart in the mid-'70s, had generated about a quarter of the electricity used in New York City and the lower Hudson Valley....

https://abc7ny.com/indian-point-power-plant-closing-nuclear-buchana/10559572/

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

NYC will still have brownout problems, and that's even without any new electric cars.
Am wondering whether anyone can figure out how many windmills must be built to replace 565 terawatthours of electricity over 59 years?

Maybe a million?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Joe Wooten

Take the output of each nuke unit and divide by 2 (each windmill generates about 2 MW), then multiply by 3 to account for the disparity in capacity factor and you get how many are needed to replace a nuke plant. So to replace IP 3, it would be 1060/2 = 530 X 3 = 1590.

Offline thackney

Take the output of each nuke unit and divide by 2 (each windmill generates about 2 MW), then multiply by 3 to account for the disparity in capacity factor and you get how many are needed to replace a nuke plant. So to replace IP 3, it would be 1060/2 = 530 X 3 = 1590.

Add a bunch of energy storage to flatten it out to serve load 24/7.

Offline Kamaji

And how much acreage per windmill, including support structures, substations, and the like?

Offline Hoodat

And how much acreage per windmill, including support structures, substations, and the like?

And how much concrete.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Thx.  A lot less than I would have expected.

Offline thackney

Thx.  A lot less than I would have expected.

Depending on what turbine was used, that number could be cut in half.

That 2 MW wind turbine is also a bit below average for sizes built today.  The average size in 2018 being built was 2.43 MW in the US.

We have inland wind turbines in Texas at 4.5 MW each.

Offline Joe Wooten

Offline thackney

:whistle:

Most of my work involves voltages of 2300V to 34.5kV.  I like to tell people if it won't kill me from just getting close, I'm not really interested in it.

Offline Hoodat

Arc flashes are no joke.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline thackney

Arc flashes are no joke.

Yep, after years of working around this stuff, I know now not to even consider stuff we used to do routinely.

I remember standing inside the breaker vertical section cubicle doing across the line starts of 6000 Hp compressor for the initial start up.  Today, I don't want to be in the building if there is a reasonable choice.

Since those days I have been part of a few emergency rebuilds for flashed medium voltage motor controlers.  I've made it a point to show pictures to my coworkers where the copper and steel vaporized away.  The pressure wave created from metals flashing to gas is very destructive if the thousands of degree temperatures were not bad enough.

Arc flashes are no joke.

A kid in the neighborhood made the mistake of shooting at a transformer with a pellet gun.

It arced on him and burned him badly.

I blame the parents.