General Category > Health/Education

Are negative vaccine reactions all in your head?

<< < (3/12) > >>

jmyrlefuller:
No, it was definitely not "all in my head."

I felt fine the entire day after my shot. The reaction took hold in the middle of the night: chills, muscle aches, fatigue, disorientation—and it lasted through most of the following day. It basically described what I've heard others describe as "flu-like symptoms," which I haven't really recalled ever having in my lifetime. It was gone by the next day (this morning), which is typical of what happens when I get sick naturally. The reaction was a little stronger than I was expecting.

I didn't go into this with any sort of anxiety at all, which somewhat surprised me, though having stood back and watched for the past several weeks as the vaccine rolled out, I had a general idea of what to expect and was confident enough to go sign up for it. And yet I still had symptoms from the immune response.

jmyrlefuller:
There is a curious thing I did observe about my side effects and all:

The average time it takes from exposure to COVID in the wild, to a positive test and/or onset of symptoms, is 6 days, even up to two weeks (at least in theory). I experienced vaccine side effects about 12 hours after injection—and those who have spoken about having a reaction to the shot have had similar timeframes of about 12 to 24 hours after injection, lasting about a day afterward. That's a lot faster.

I'm assuming that that's the difference between infection through inhaling or contact and by injecting straight into the bloodstream. It takes days for the virus to incubate in that environment before it reaches a critical mass, theoretically. That would also partially explain why older people are more likely to have the severe reactions to the virus in the wild, but less likely to have a vaccine reaction: they have more ACE2 receptors in the eyes and nose. Whereas the younger person's ACE2 receptors are fewer and thus more hostile to the virus, injecting the vaccine bypasses that mode of protection.

libertybele:

--- Quote from: jmyrlefuller on May 03, 2021, 10:39:40 pm ---No, it was definitely not "all in my head."

I felt fine the entire day after my shot. The reaction took hold in the middle of the night: chills, muscle aches, fatigue, disorientation—and it lasted through most of the following day. It basically described what I've heard others describe as "flu-like symptoms," which I haven't really recalled ever having in my lifetime. It was gone by the next day (this morning), which is typical of what happens when I get sick naturally. The reaction was a little stronger than I was expecting.

I didn't go into this with any sort of anxiety at all, which somewhat surprised me, though having stood back and watched for the past several weeks as the vaccine rolled out, I had a general idea of what to expect and was confident enough to go sign up for it. And yet I still had symptoms from the immune response.

--- End quote ---

Good information. Which vaccine did you get??    Disorientation isn't a flu like symptom that I've ever experienced. 

BassWrangler:

--- Quote from: jmyrlefuller on May 03, 2021, 10:49:31 pm ---There is a curious thing I did observe about my side effects and all:

The average time it takes from exposure to COVID in the wild, to a positive test and/or onset of symptoms, is 6 days, even up to two weeks (at least in theory). I experienced vaccine side effects about 12 hours after injection—and those who have spoken about having a reaction to the shot have had similar timeframes of about 12 to 24 hours after injection, lasting about a day afterward. That's a lot faster.

I'm assuming that that's the difference between infection through inhaling or contact and by injecting straight into the bloodstream. It takes days for the virus to incubate in that environment before it reaches a critical mass, theoretically. That would also partially explain why older people are more likely to have the severe reactions to the virus in the wild, but less likely to have a vaccine reaction: they have more ACE2 receptors in the eyes and nose. Whereas the younger person's ACE2 receptors are fewer and thus more hostile to the virus, injecting the vaccine bypasses that mode of protection.

--- End quote ---

This is my understanding from talking with a doctor.

When you catch a virus in the wild, it starts with a very small infection. Could be as small as a single virus molecule. The  virus infects your cells and co-opts the cells' mechanisms to manufacture more virus. The cell then dies, releasing the more virus which then spreads to more cells, etc. It can be awhile before this is is big enough to trigger an immune response large enough for you to notice.

When you get one of these mRNA vaccines, they are giving you a pretty significant dose of messenger RNA encapsulated in a protective lipid. The mRNA tells your cells to produce a protein (or proteins) that are found on the outer shell of the virus. Your cells will manufacture those proteins, but only in the amount triggered by the initial dosage (mRNA vaccines do not modify your DNA, despite what some of the anti-vax crowd says), and after that no more is made. So they have to give you a significant enough dosage to trigger enough proteins to be made to trigger an appropriate immune response. Same thing applies for non mRNA vaccines, although with those there is no intermediary step where your cells manufacture proteins.

Smokin Joe:

--- Quote from: rustynail on May 03, 2021, 05:33:13 pm ---Blaming the victims?

--- End quote ---
Of course. This is the refuge of shitty medical practitioners everywhere. Blame the patient.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version