General Category > Technology

Getting Started with Ham Amateur (Ham) Radio

<< < (2/16) > >>

Bigun:
Thanks @BassWrangler I'll do my best to answer any questions anyone may have in the future.

in addition to the information posted above, I highly recommend this site for your licensing preparation.

https://hamexam.org/

Totally free and it works!  Register and it will take up your study right where you left off the last time.

I recommend going through the full set of flashcards for whatever element you are prepping for (easier said than done as you will soon learn).  Once you have done that, take a few of the practice exams for that element and you will be ready to go.

DB:
 :bkmk:

Skull:
Had my General ticket from 1962-67 or so.  Suppose K3RSS is being used by someone else nowadays. 

Ah, good ole Morse -.-.  --.-  is about all I recall.  Over at Gab there are about seven Ham Groups & one of said Morse code is no longer required for any level of ticket.

When I was in USAF at Hamilton Field I got a chance to play with the Log periodic 20 element beam, on a 100ft tower atop a hill, plus a Collins S line.  Got confused with dipping the plate and peaking the grid or something and blew out the expensive Klystron tube on the KW amplifier.  The MARS operator was quite civilized about it, but no more playing with K6FCT, as the non-MARS call sign was.

Nowadays, just too old and stupid & poor to fuss with equipment.  Sometime I will bore you with how I nearly was killed putting up a  40 meter dipole.

BassWrangler:

--- Quote from: Skull on May 02, 2021, 11:39:08 pm ---Had my General ticket from 1962-67 or so.  Suppose K3RSS is being used by someone else nowadays. 

Ah, good ole Morse -.-.  --.-  is about all I recall.  Over at Gab there are about seven Ham Groups & one of said Morse code is no longer required for any level of ticket.

When I was in USAF at Hamilton Field I got a chance to play with the Log periodic 20 element beam, on a 100ft tower atop a hill, plus a Collins S line.  Got confused with dipping the plate and peaking the grid or something and blew out the expensive Klystron tube on the KW amplifier.  The MARS operator was quite civilized about it, but no more playing with K6FCT, as the non-MARS call sign was.

Nowadays, just too old and stupid & poor to fuss with equipment.  Sometime I will bore you with how I nearly was killed putting up a  40 meter dipole.

--- End quote ---

Yes, that call sign is now owned by Ronald S Schilling, who apparently requested it as a vanity callsign.

When I unloaded most of my Ham gear about 10 years ago, I sold the little log-periodic that I had. That's one of the things that I regret selling. It broke down into pieces so you could move it. It was dual band, UHF/VHF, so much smaller than the one you used. But very useful for satellite comms.

BassWrangler:
My wife is going through the ARRL book to get her license. I'll let you all know what her experience is. We're planning on leveraging the web site that @Bigun recommended.

Speaking of which @Bigun - do you know anything about Yaesu System Fusion? I hit a new Yaesu FT3DR HT, and was thinking of trying it out on a repeater that RepeaterBook says supports it, but I have no idea how it works.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version