General Category > Technology

Getting Started with Ham Amateur (Ham) Radio

<< < (3/16) > >>

Bigun:

--- Quote from: BassWrangler on May 12, 2021, 04:37:34 pm ---My wife is going through the ARRL book to get her license. I'll let you all know what her experience is. We're planning on leveraging the web site that @Bigun recommended.

Speaking of which @Bigun - do you know anything about Yaesu System Fusion? I hit a new Yaesu FT3DR HT, and was thinking of trying it out on a repeater that RepeaterBook says supports it, but I have no idea how it works.

--- End quote ---

@BassWrangler

All of our club repeaters are Yaesu and support System Fusion. My base station radio supports digital modes and I've played with it some but not really into it all that much.  You can connect to people all over the world via the WIRES system, but it seems not to be real radio to me.  I guess I'm just an old foggy. Some of our club members are wild about it.

Some of our club members are wild about it.

Skull:
Just looked WIRES up:

WIRES stands for Wide-Coverage Internet Repeater Enhancement System

So radio signals, 6 or 2 meter kinds? are repeated, but what means enhancement?

Bigun:

--- Quote from: Skull on May 12, 2021, 06:24:15 pm ---Just looked WIRES up:

WIRES stands for Wide-Coverage Internet Repeater Enhancement System

So radio signals, 6 or 2 meter kinds? are repeated, but what means enhancement?

--- End quote ---

Well, you do need a radio to access a WIRES enhanced repeater. Our club operates one.

You bring up the repeater which is connected to the internet via the WIRES system and get connected to another repeater of your choosing somewhere in the world.  The people on each end are talking to the local repeater via radio but everything in between is via the internet.

Skull:

--- Quote from: Bigun on May 12, 2021, 06:30:54 pm ---
You bring up the repeater which is connected to the internet via the WIRES system and get connected to another repeater of your choosing somewhere in the world.  The people on each end are talking to the local repeater via radio but everything in between is via the internet.

--- End quote ---

Tnx Bigun. Sounds like WIRES is not pure radio for sure.  Resembles FaceTime or Skype without any picture.

DB:
I have a Heath SB-1400 I bought in the eighties...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version