Author Topic: As counterterror missions fade, special operations finds time to fix its own problems Meghann Myers  (Read 562 times)

rangerrebew

As counterterror missions fade, special operations finds time to fix its own problems
Meghann Myers

Air Force special tactics and combat rescue officer candidates perform push-ups in the water during an assessment and selection process at Hurlburt Field, Fla., March 25, 2021. (Tech. Sgt. Sandra Welch/Air Force)

A sea change is coming to special operations.

After 20 years of relentless combat operations, organizations are taking a hard look at their mission sets, who is in the formations and how the job treats them.

Special Operations Command has openly discussed its imminent shift from counter-terror to near-peer competition in recent years, but at the same time, another major shift is underway in the military writ large: a new focus on attracting and retaining women in every career field, a renewed focus on preventing and responding to sexual assault and sexual harassment, and the first department-wide efforts to crack down on extremism.

“I present our update to the American people with humility,” Rear Adm. Hugh Howard, the head of Naval Special Warfare Command, told the Senate Armed Services Committee on Wednesday. “Humility, sharpened in combat losses, mission failures and imperfection. Humility that drives our sense of urgency to learn, to evolve, to come back stronger and even more committed to the missions our nation asks of us.”

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2021/04/30/as-counterterror-missions-fade-special-operations-finds-time-to-fix-its-own-problems/
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 10:59:01 am by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

I have it on good authority the two biggest problems SOF leadership want to address are getting white conservative unpatriotic people out and women, of any kind :whistle:, in.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
As counterterror missions fade, special operations finds time to fix its own problems
Meghann Myers

Air Force special tactics and combat rescue officer candidates perform push-ups in the water during an assessment and selection process at Hurlburt Field, Fla., March 25, 2021. (Tech. Sgt. Sandra Welch/Air Force)

A sea change is coming to special operations.

After 20 years of relentless combat operations, organizations are taking a hard look at their mission sets, who is in the formations and how the job treats them.

Special Operations Command has openly discussed its imminent shift from counter-terror to near-peer competition in recent years, but at the same time, another major shift is underway in the military writ large: a new focus on attracting and retaining women in every career field, a renewed focus on preventing and responding to sexual assault and sexual harassment, and the first department-wide efforts to crack down on extremism.

“I present our update to the American people with humility,” Rear Adm. Hugh Howard, the head of Naval Special Warfare Command, told the Senate Armed Services Committee on Wednesday. “Humility, sharpened in combat losses, mission failures and imperfection. Humility that drives our sense of urgency to learn, to evolve, to come back stronger and even more committed to the missions our nation asks of us.”

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2021/04/30/as-counterterror-missions-fade-special-operations-finds-time-to-fix-its-own-problems/

@rangerrebew

Since we already have sailors involved in it at high levels,going to gurl operators isn't that big a step.

Besides,how are they going to justify putting gurls in command of special operations missions unless they spend a couple of weeks attached to a special operations unit and take all the credit for anything positive being accomplished?

A sure move to clear things up and make America safer,huh?

Kinda reminds me of the Clinton Administration days,when Bubbette! decided there MUST be gurl Special Forces  commanders in the Army.

Thankfully,we had a couple of officers and NCO's that refused to fall on their swords and pass anyone who couldn't pass the course,and both of the hand-picked selections by the National Association of Gals (NAG) flunked out of the course,and the SF Training Group cadre flat refused to pass them anyhow. This resulted in at least 1 Colonel and 1 LtCol being forced into retirement,as well as a couple of senior NCO's.

Now that duty is SF is "army respectable" and any fool with a field grade commission and political connections is allowed into command positions,it should be both amusing and disgusting to see them race each other to see who can be the first to give whymen "equality",so they too can jump ahead of the leadership line and end up commanding SF groups.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I have it on good authority the two biggest problems SOF leadership want to address are getting white conservative unpatriotic people out and women, of any kind :whistle:, in.

@rangerbrew

I REALLY want to argue with that. I really,REALLY do,but can't.

The last time I worked with SF Training Group was in the 80's,and I was working as a Guerilla Commander with the assumed rank of Colonel in the Pineland Army. Potential SF graduates faced this exercise as the "make it or break it" part of the course,and that is no joke. Screw up in this last training exercise,and you went back to your original unit.

Had a West Point Captain come in from the 82nd Abn Division. I entered the base camp one night after midnight,and he happened to be the one on guard duty that night at one of the base camp OP's. When I wasn't challenged while walking into the base camp,I went to his position and found him sleeping snug as a bug in his sleeping bag. He had the microphone cord to his radio stretched out and in his bag so he could answer radio calls if someone called him,but was clueless as to intruders walking into the camp up that path.

Soooo,I stole his classified radio,and stole his machine gun and his rucksack. Just disconnected the mic cord from the radio so I wouldn't disturb his sleep,and went and put it all inside my tent without saying anything to anyone about it,other than the "grader ghosts" who were still awake and in camp. I did this because I wanted to see just how he was going to explain missing a classified radio,code book,his rucksack,and his machine gun.

Explaining missing machine guns,code books,and radios is tough. Even for a Captain.

He was dismissed from the class the next morning,but before he could even be sent back to Bragg for re-assignment,some senior officers from Bragg showed up to interview him and me,and he was allowed to graduate from the course,and I was told to not bother to apply to play the role of "G-Chief" again.

I can only guess he used his cell phone to call the "NAACP" or some similar group when he woke up and discovered he was in deep doo-doo.

And this was in the 80's. We can only imagine how political it is now.

BTW,for those of you who don't know,in REAL guerilla bands fighting REAL wars,he would have been shot that morning.

BTW-2,If ANY of you think this means I am a racist who wants to keep blacks out of SF,you are out of your bleeping minds. I PROUDLY served with and under the command of black SF soldiers in the 60's that were as good as any soldier in any army of any country in the entire world. My first recon team leader in VN was a black SFC,and he is the one that taught me the "tricks" I needed to survive.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 02:53:44 pm by sneakypete »

rangerrebew

@sneakypete

I'm glad you didn't want to argue with me because your post was much more beneficial than a debate.  Excellent insights! :patriot:

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

I'm glad you didn't want to argue with me because your post was much more beneficial than a debate.  Excellent insights! :patriot:

@rangerrebew

Thanks!